Incinerate with increased duration

"
You seriously don't get what anyone else here is saying, and you're intent on pretending other people are stupid.

"
You're wrong. Get over it. Everyone knows there is a physical duration, but it is not a "duration spell".
IGN: Scordalia_
It helps if you think of "projectile duration" and "skill effect duration" as two separate things. All the duration modifiers specify "Skill effect duration."
[img]http://image.prntscr.com/image/2e57fcaba2ea48cc9832fecc55c6d0d6.png[/img]
For the purposes of your question the skill description for Incinerate and similar skills would be :projectile travels (X distance multiplied by Y projectile speed). There's just no room for a duration modifier.

While there is a visible duration in the animation of incinerate and similar skills, this is just the animation of the incinerate projectile itself rather than something that can be modified.

It's the same way that you can't make leap slam slower by linking it to increased duration despite there being a visible duration in that leaping at a target close to you is faster than leaping at something far away.

Although now I'm just imagining a marauder getting incredible hang time on their leap slam and I'm kinda wishing we could do that, just for the laughs.

(On a side note, have you linked multistrike to leap slam yet DNAngel? It's pretty nifty.)
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Feb 7, 2015, 5:00:56 AM
"
DnAngel wrote:
You can call it whatever you want, doesn't change the fact that it's a duration. I could also pretend that viper strike causes degen and not damage over time and assume based on that that DoT doesn't apply to it -.-

Like: why doesn't rain of arrows work with LMP?

Because RoA is not a projectile and is not affected by any projectile modifiers?

Sometimes people get so freakin ridiculous with their criticism.
"
DnAngel wrote:
For spectral throw it doesn't make much sense to be affected by duration. How much time does it take to come back, maybe? Idk. But for these kind of spells, there's a duration after which the projectiles expire. So, IMO, it would make sense that increased duration would work on them. Or isn't increased duration supposed to, you know, increase duration of things?

I won't waste more time trying to explain someone so self centered that can't even listen to others' opinions. Take the cookie. Or the bone. As you prefer.

EDIT: probably the only reason it's not affected right now is because GGG can't stretch the animation time-wise. Idk.. just guessing.

Increased Duration is meant to do one single thing, apply to gems with a Duration-Tag. How it is applied is different from skill to skill. But considering increased Duration is not only a Support-Gem but also a passiv skill it has to work similar.

You did notice that it actually takes you a certain duration to walk from point A to B in the game. So by your logic applying increased Duration should make you slower, since it should take a longer time for it. Every attack or cast takes a certain duration... should Increased Duration make all your casts and attacks slower?

Basically everything in the game is centered about a certain time it takes. Also time is not actually important. Just take Freezing Pulse, Ethereal Knives or Spectral Throw. The projectiles simply lose momentum and if it is gone the spell wouldn't move regardless of the duration for the projectile. It is very reasonable that increased Projectile Speed increases their range, due to giving them more momentum. And Incinerate would also make sense in this regards since the projectiles just lose heat over time. But actual physics aren't even important it is purely based on the tags, which is consistent except for Rain of Arrows.

So if there is one Skill to complain about it is Rain of Arrows which benefits from Projectile Damage and Speed besides not having a Projectile Tag (since it can't be supported with xMP or Chain/Fork etc.).

"

This.
Pas ici pour rendre service ;).
Un jeu avec autant de qualités que de défauts, malheureusement ignorés et soutenus par une marée de supporters nolifes sans aucune objectivité.
Last edited by MisterER on Feb 7, 2015, 8:29:51 AM
Firstly, I understand the physics all too well.
I understand what you guys are trying to say. But look at it this way: ggg could add the tag if they wanted to. So the tag tells you if it works or not, but it's your intuition that tells you if it should work or not.

Do you have to check the tags to find out flameblast AoE increases with increased AoE? There are things that should be intuitive, and it shouldn't be necessary to check the tags of every skill you use to know what works and doesn't.

Leap slam has no duration at all, just attack speed.

But incinerate has a duration. Think of it this way: you launch the fire, and while it's flying you are controlling it so that it doesn't vanish just in the same way it works for spark. Increased duration give you more focus to keep it running for longer, the same way you need the focus to have IC running.

How is firestorm or spark different from incinerate or freezing pulse?

"Projectile Damage: Rain of Arrows deals projectile damage and will be affected by corresponding modifiers, though the gem is not considered to be a Projectile skill and cannot be supported by Projectile supports." there goes your consistency. Is it a projectile or not? For some things it is, for other it isn't.

I don't mind people disagree with me. If you think I'm wrong, that's ok. No hard feelings :D. But at least try to understand my point of view the same way I tried to understand yours.
I'm not even saying it should be changed. I'm just explaining why I though it would work.
http://slysherz.blogspot.com
"
DnAngel wrote:

I don't mind people disagree with me. If you think I'm wrong, that's ok. No hard feelings :D. But at least try to understand my point of view the same way I tried to understand yours.
I'm not even saying it should be changed. I'm just explaining why I though it would work.

I understand why you thought it should work. Without knowing the key words of the gems I might have guessed the same! It looks like it has a duration, but when you look at the key words it does not. While that is not perfect design, I think we cannot fault GGG for it. They have to balance their game and incinerate and inc.duration are consistent with their rules (sup.gems and skill.gems with same key words work together). That is most important to me. When in doubt I can always fall back on the rules/mechanics.
"
kuromahou wrote:
"
DnAngel wrote:
You can call it whatever you want, doesn't change the fact that it's a duration. I could also pretend that viper strike causes degen and not damage over time and assume based on that that DoT doesn't apply to it -.-

Like: why doesn't rain of arrows work with LMP?

Because RoA is not a projectile and is not affected by any projectile modifiers?

Got to admit the game is a little crazy with stuff like that. Just imagine a new player....

Hey does LMP affect RoA?

No. RoA is not a projectile.

But I am shooting something that flies in the air and lands. Eh oh well guess I need some regret orbs to get out of projectile speed and projectile damage.

Not exactly......
I need a signature to look legit
"
DnAngel wrote:

That isn't what you were previously doing; you were accusing GGG of being inconsistent. That is literally the one thing they strive to not be. A lot of their balance chances suck and are otherwise asinine, but their consistency is A++ triple-extra top notch, you are merely failing to comprehend the axioms they are using as the basis for their consistency.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info