Incinerate with increased duration

"
DnAngel wrote:
Well, that doesn't make any sense. Why would the projectile speed increase the range if the projectile doesn't have a duration?

Because BASIC PHYSICS? -_-

S=V*t

Projectile speed, in this case, would allow projectile to travel further for the same time.
And it has nothing to do with "projectile duration" at all.

P.S. as for incinerate "duration":
"mechanically" it has it, but DEVs "disabled" that from the list of available variables to modify by support gems.
Simply because they "switched" actual "time of existence"\duration with "mathematical" calculation like
"
Each new tier of damage multiplication arrives after the fourth projectile from the previous tier has been shot. As such, simply multiplying the cast speed by 12 (4 shots * 3 repetitions) and dividing by 10 gives the approximate amount of time in seconds, barring any stuns or freezes, that it will take the spell to reach maximum damage output.

Clear enough?
Remember, suffering is convenient.
That is why many people prefer it.
Happiness requires effort.
"
HarukaTeno wrote:

You went right to the point and still got the wrong conclusion. Since we both agreed that incinerate has a duration, could you please explain why isn't it affected by increased duration? THAT is what doesn't make sense.

Yeah I got it: no tag, no effect. But it SHOULD HAVE THE TAG AND BE AFFECTED. Not consistent at all.

PS: according with the same basic physics, velocity doesn't matter if there is no time (duration).
http://slysherz.blogspot.com
Last edited by DnAngel on Feb 6, 2015, 4:00:27 PM
"
DnAngel wrote:
"
HarukaTeno wrote:

You went right to the point and still got the wrong conclusion. Since we both agreed that incinerate has a duration, could you please explain why isn't it affected by increased duration? THAT is what doesn't make sense.

Yeah I got it: no tag, no effect. But it SHOULD HAVE THE TAG AND BE AFFECTED. Not consistent at all.

PS: according with the same basic physics, velocity doesn't matter if there is no time (duration).

You seriously don't get what anyone else here is saying, and you're intent on pretending other people are stupid.

GGG is _consistent_. No duration tag, no duration modifiers allowed. To call this inconsistent just because the concept of a duration applies to the physical phenomena in theory is the same as calling it inconsistent that "increased" and "more" mean different things, _consistently_, in GGG speak, just because they are used synonymously in English.

You're wrong. Get over it. Everyone knows there is a physical duration, but it is not a "duration spell".

If you want to argue thematics, then imagine Spectral Throw. It is a boomerang. Would it make sense for Increased Duration to affect that? No. Faster and Slower projectiles affects its speed and therefore distance. Increased duration wouldn't make sense because the thematics are that of throwing a boomerang, which doesn't have some magical "duration in the universe", it has a speed, and it takes time based on that speed to come back to you. All projectile skills are built with the same hypothetical projectile thematics in mind, which is why projectile speed affects their distance and not "increased area of effect" or "increased duration". You lose connection to them after they leave your body, unlike Lightning Warp or SRS (a future teleportation or a dedicated minion), so a Duration tag just doesn't fit. Get over it.
Last edited by codetaku on Feb 6, 2015, 4:36:17 PM
For spectral throw it doesn't make much sense to be affected by duration. How much time does it take to come back, maybe? Idk. But for these kind of spells, there's a duration after which the projectiles expire. So, IMO, it would make sense that increased duration would work on them. Or isn't increased duration supposed to, you know, increase duration of things?

I won't waste more time trying to explain someone so self centered that can't even listen to others' opinions. Take the cookie. Or the bone. As you prefer.

EDIT: probably the only reason it's not affected right now is because GGG can't stretch the animation time-wise. Idk.. just guessing.
Last edited by DnAngel on Feb 6, 2015, 5:09:30 PM
I think there is a reason why GGG do not want you to off screen kill with spells like Incinerate all the time. This is more of balance thing, and just something that GGG decided to do, be it choice or mechanical limit.

Edit: Though, I can just be assuming, so do not take my word for it.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Feb 6, 2015, 5:17:07 PM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

I forgot to thank you for the reply. Thank you!

That could also be a reason... but they could do something like nerf the base a bit. It would be more powerful if you spend a lot of points on it, less if you spend the same.

Well the game is as it is and I'm not really expecting it to change, even though I would it like to :D
I agree that it's dumb that they don't let duration modifiers apply to projectile skills like that. It's really disappointing on stuff like ball lightning. I suspect it's a combination of engine quirkiness and balance concerns. You could have a cross screen incinerate if increased duration did work because it stacks multiplicatively with faster projectiles.
This dude just doesn't get that every projectile has a travel time, not just in this game, in every other game you can imagine because it's basic physics. If you're bad at physics it's not GGG's fault.
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Increased duration on Incinerate? Wouldn't that mean you just cast for longer?
Making a blowtorch last longer won't make the flames larger.
"
DnAngel wrote:
But for these kind of spells, there's a duration after which the projectiles expire.

No.. The gems do NOT have the duration tag in the list, except spark for example. Instead of duration, you could use the word "projectile distance." And projectile speed increases this distance.

"
DnAngel wrote:
So, IMO, it would make sense that increased duration would work on them.

No, it would not(should not in your head as well^^)....

"
DnAngel wrote:
Or isn't increased duration supposed to, you know, increase duration of things?

Yes, duration, but not the distance.

There are limits to how easy we can explain this to you, but i could surely give it another try if necessary :)
You just wasted 3 seconds reading this.
Last edited by Tian_Yihao on Feb 7, 2015, 12:35:43 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info