Item Degradation

No offence, but this is the most stupid idea i have seen here in the suggestions
From Orlando, FL, U.S.
Terrible idea
To Do List:
-Add Better Minion Supports
-Add More Permanent Minions
GoreFleshSummoner | Low Life Zombie n' Specter Summoner
Summoner Gear: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1633760
I have a better solution - call it a soft-Soulbound.

1 - Items accumulate experience/spirit/soul/whatever as you fight with them equipped.
1.1 - This xp is colored green if it belongs to you and red if it belongs to another player.
2 - By default a new item has 75% effectiveness on its bonuses at 0 xp.
3 - It gains 25% effectiveness (up to 100% total) as you go from 0 xp to max xp.
4 - It loses 25% effectiveness (down to 50% total) as it goes from 0 xp to max xp from a different player (think of it as negative xp).

TL;DR:
100% effectiveness when maxed for you.
75% effectiveness in neutral state.
50% effectiveness when maxed for another player.
Only affects bonuses on items (not base properties).

This means that if you buy an item that is maxed by another player, you will have to effectively max the item twice (one to remove the other players' xp from the item, and then to add yours).

There could be a Rare Orb or simply an expensive recipe with existing currency that removes all xp from an item.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on Apr 20, 2015, 12:32:31 AM
1) As has been dicussed to death, OP is a terrible idea. To be fair though, at least he's identified real issues within the game, and is trying to come up with a solution.

2) soft-soulbound would accomplish exactly nothing, except to aggravate players while "leveling" their gear. if anything, it would compound the problem, since crazy farmers and bots wont use the gear they farm before selling, so "blue collar" players would find it harder to resell gear when theyre done with it.
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson
"
tsftd wrote:
2) soft-soulbound would accomplish exactly nothing, except to aggravate players while "leveling" their gear. if anything, it would compound the problem, since crazy farmers and bots wont use the gear they farm before selling, so "blue collar" players would find it harder to resell gear when theyre done with it.

If you could use currency to remove other players' XP and to add your own, wouldn't function like a soft-soulbound?

It means if you can't wait to use an item at full strength, you have to pay extra.
Item hopping between players becomes less valuable.

Item hoarding becomes less useful.

But yes it doesn't bring too much to this type of game.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on Apr 20, 2015, 11:19:42 AM
If you look at trading and crafting as it is now though, most people don't craft at all, anything that gets sold is something the seller had drop for them. It's fairly obvious that the supply of good items that were dropped is now going to go down. Crafting uniques is ridiculously expensive, and time consuming, so buying them even if they're not as good is probably still the best option, and because they're degrading now, the price of ones that have just dropped is going to skyrocket. This will also effect build diversity because it will now be much harder to get good build enabling uniques. As for rares let's say the highest rolls you can buy from players are now tier 2 instead of tier 1, which is still pretty good, but ultimately you're going to get enough supply from drops that crafting still won't be worth it. Having actually tried crafting an item as a guild effort, we spent something around 80 exalts and got a good blue item, but nothing worth the investment.

Adding item degradation is only going to skyrocket prices, and make everything worse. The economy isn't that messed up anyway, but adding trade penalties would really mess things up.
Degradation shouldn't trash items completely. I'd prefer it if items would lose Quality when traded, with the addition of negative Quality. This way, a reputable trader would 20% their items first, giving a purpose to the dozen stacks they likely have.
Amulets, Rings, and Belts would have a lower implicit once traded, making Blessed orbs more valuable.
*You call into the void. You hear a sound in the distance.*
"
Nurvus wrote:
"
tsftd wrote:

If you could use currency to remove other players' XP and to add your own, wouldn't function like a soft-soulbound?

It means if you can't wait to use an item at full strength, you have to pay extra.
Item hopping between players becomes less valuable.

Item hoarding becomes less useful.

But yes it doesn't bring too much to this type of game.

but you said "1 - Items accumulate experience/spirit/soul/whatever as you fight with them equipped." -- which means that item hopping/hoarding/flipping don't cause xp to accumulate on the item. so the mechanic doesn't apply to them. only if i USE an item, then sell it, does it have this proposed penalty attached.

now, if you reversed the original proposition, and this "penalty xp" accumulated on items that AREN'T in use (say, items in stash tabs), then it would actually accomplish what you seem to want.

personally, I still don't think it's a good idea because it's basically a tax on trading. if you want that, just implement it directly -- whenever you sell something, 10% of the currency traded disappears as a tax. granted, this wouldn't affect item-item trades, but honestly the VAST majority of trades are via currency. though I still would oppose it, as I don't think that a trading tax in any way solves the economy problem.
Note: this was supposed to be edited onto my prior post, not sure how it wound up as a double post (probably me not paying attention)

"
Felix35071 wrote:
Degradation shouldn't trash items completely. I'd prefer it if items would lose Quality when traded, with the addition of negative Quality. This way, a reputable trader would 20% their items first, giving a purpose to the dozen stacks they likely have.
Amulets, Rings, and Belts would have a lower implicit once traded, making Blessed orbs more valuable.

felix: I still don't particularly like the idea personally, but your implementation of it is by far the best that I've seen.
Last edited by tsftd on Apr 21, 2015, 4:47:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info