Mechanics thread

"
Malice wrote:

Items

Modifiers
Modifiers are split up in to two main groups, prefixes and suffixes. A magic item can have only one prefix and one suffix, never two prefixes or two suffixes.
Rare items can have up to six modifiers, it is unknown if there is a limit on how many of these can be prefixes/suffixes.
A randomly generated rare item (from a drop or Orb of Alchemy) receives between four and six modifiers randomly, with the following odds:
1/12 chance of 6 mods
4/12 chance of 5 mods
7/12 chance of 4 mods

All modifiers have a level associated with them, and will only appear on items whos item level is greater than or equal to the modifier's level.

So I've checked every page of this thread to see whether this came up before, but as far as I can tell it hasn't - I don't think 6 is the maximum amount of mods, as is implied in the opening post.

I've bolded the important part (kept the rest for reference as it's a rather large OP!).

Unavailable

I've checked and double checked, and I'm fairly positive the above item has 7 non-implicit mods. Am I missing something, like "Increased Physical Damage" being a standard for the weapon type despite being below the line (Thus far, I have assumed mods above the line with implicit mods and below were random mods)?

Further to this, if it is a Seven-mod rare item, how does that effect the probabilities?
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
Tintreach wrote:

Unavailable

I've checked and double checked, and I'm fairly positive the above item has 7 non-implicit mods. Am I missing something, like "Increased Physical Damage" being a standard for the weapon type despite being below the line (Thus far, I have assumed mods above the line with implicit mods and below were random mods)?
It has six mods.
One of those mods is the "Squire's" prefix, which affects two stats - increased physical damage and additional accuracy rating.
You can check the available mods in the item data secion
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Ah, thanks - I hadn't accounted for multiple effect mods!
is there hidden decimals in-between quality of quality gems that don't scale by 1% per level?
"
faerwin wrote:
is there hidden decimals in-between quality of quality gems that don't scale by 1% per level?
Yes, quality always increases something on a gem, but sometimes for balance reasons it's by less than 1 per % quality, so you need to increase quality multiple times to get a noticable difference
well, what I meant is that if I increase something by less than 1%, does it actually increase the dps? Examples are things like added chaos damage, added fire damage and weapon elemental damage.

And more relevant to my question, firestorm at quality 19 and 20 :P
Last edited by Faerwin_ on Jan 28, 2012, 5:07:34 AM
"
faerwin wrote:
well, what I meant is that if I increase something by less than 1%, does it actually increase the dps? Examples are things like added chaos damage, added fire damage and weapon elemental damage.

And more relevant to my question, firestorm at quality 19 and 20 :P
Depends. Most things are dealt with as integers and rounded off, but there are a few cases where the rounding on the display is more rounded than the actual value.
Firestorm with 19% quality drops a fireball every 0.1215 seconds, at 20% quality every 0.12 seconds, which I believe is enough to mean you get one last fireball in (since the base duration is 1.2 seconds).
ok, so you can actually get rounded down and not see it.
"
faerwin wrote:
ok, so you can actually get rounded down and not see it.
The reason for this is that while all stats are integer values, the stat in question on Firestorm is an integer number of milliseconds, not seconds, and gets divided by 1000 for display to show in seconds instead, which also rounds it to only two decimal places, so you can't see the difference.
ok, so I went and tested firestorm with 18% quality and I am fairly sure that I am dropping 12 meteorites despite that it should take 0,123 second between them. I can give you the fraps if you want to count.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info