Mechanics thread

Basically the total chance will be sightly lower than simply adding the two numbers up.

20% chance to freeze and 20% crit chance will result in about 36% total chance.

edit: page 100's 1st post :D
Alice_of_Wraeclast - Dagger CI Witch
Alice_MadnessReturns - Molten Strike AoF witch
Flavour Build concept taken from Alice: Madness Returns
Last edited by wxyjac on Nov 18, 2012, 12:18:19 AM
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
chance for status effect happen on all hits including crits, even though crits are 100% status effect. so math-wise, if i also remember the past multiple questions of this: stacks multiplicatively not additively.
chance for a * inverted chance for b [written as 1- raw # of b] plus chance a = total chance for making the status effect of freeze burn or shock.
chance a and b can swap and both can be either status proc or crit chance, same result if using the above equation setup.
So only on non-crits then. Thanks.
"
Strill wrote:
So does chance to <status effect> stack additively with chance to crit, or does it only apply to non-crits?

It applies to both, you just always put a static effect when you crit.
Two questions:

1. So someone who (at least I believe) knows his stuff told me that IIQ/IIR is hit by a level penalty if you're too overleveled. Apparently there was a change a while ago and Malice hasn't gotten around to adding it to this thread. Also, there are apparently some posts by devs confirming this, but I couldn't find them because the search system kinda sucks. Basically, I'm asking if someone from GGG can confirm whether, in general, IIR/IIQ is reduced based on a level difference, or whether that penalty only applies to currency orbs.

2. I'm kinda lazy, so I haven't read this whole thread, but what exactly causes chill? Is it guaranteed to proc when you do more than a certain % of hp, or is there some hidden chance?
Last edited by ifarmpandas on Nov 19, 2012, 2:36:50 AM
rarity isn't effected by level difference to our awareness (yet?). but quant of currency gets a penalty for being more than 2 levels higher than a given area per level higher. exact info about this is on first page. rarity doesn't apply to currency so... if you really want to farm gear of low item level, you can return to a lower level to do so for cost of much less exp and much less scrolls and orbs.

chill is 100% chance to apply if you deal 300ms worth of it, which is roughly 2.5% of the hp. i forgot exact minimum hp % threshold for chill, today is busy for me to math correctly. other status effects (freeze and shock) have same requirements but require a proc from skills or a crit. max duration for the three status effects are 1/3rd of foe's hp. that exact math was posted in somewhere around page 70 of this thread.
ive done a sparing amount of searching (so forgive is this known from elsewhere on forums) and was surprised to not come up with the mechanics behind the difficulties?

for example, i noticed from cruel to ruthless there is some amount of resistance reduction, what are these figures across all diff. types? & are there any additional changes, such as increased frequency of rare mobs? etc.
Yes, several changes.

Currently, you lose 20% resist per difficulty, maxing out at a -60% resist penalty by merciless.

Every difficulty level, mob density goes up and chance for rare/magic monsters increases as well. Specifics on this aren't really known. If you want specific details get counting! :D
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
"
ifarmpandas wrote:
Two questions:

1. So someone who (at least I believe) knows his stuff told me that IIQ/IIR is hit by a level penalty if you're too overleveled. Apparently there was a change a while ago and Malice hasn't gotten around to adding it to this thread. Also, there are apparently some posts by devs confirming this, but I couldn't find them because the search system kinda sucks. Basically, I'm asking if someone from GGG can confirm whether, in general, IIR/IIQ is reduced based on a level difference, or whether that penalty only applies to currency orbs.

2. I'm kinda lazy, so I haven't read this whole thread, but what exactly causes chill? Is it guaranteed to proc when you do more than a certain % of hp, or is there some hidden chance?

1. For item drops, there is a level penalty for currency drops, there is no such penalty for other items. Yes, you could farm low level areas and get items faster, however the item level will be limited to the area you are in, so that is considered penalty enough.

2. Any cold damage causes chill. The duration is based on the percentage of maximum life dealt as cold damage (138ms per 1% max life dealt as cold), and chills of < 300ms are ignored, so in practice you must hit with at least a small minimum % of life as cold damage

I also have a question:

When I use a Transmutation orb on a white item, there are 3 possible outcomes:

A. magic item with 1 prefix
B. magic item with 1 suffix
C. magic item with 1 prefix and 1 suffix

Are these 3 possibilities evenly laid out ? ( 1/3 chance for each )

Also, same question for Alteration orbs.
"
Qarl wrote:

1. For item drops, there is a level penalty for currency drops, there is no such penalty for other items. Yes, you could farm low level areas and get items faster, however the item level will be limited to the area you are in, so that is considered penalty enough.

2. Any cold damage causes chill. The duration is based on the percentage of maximum life dealt as cold damage (138ms per 1% max life dealt as cold), and chills of < 300ms are ignored, so in practice you must hit with at least a small minimum % of life as cold damage

Thanks for the the answer.

Little follow-up question: how exactly does negative mf work? Do you just take base chance and subtract? Say you had -20% IIQ, would the drop chance be base*.8?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info