Melee is the worst bullshit ever in poe

"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Hmmm two top dudes in my clan both rape uber with melee (flicker and a rever) when I look at UBER capable thread about half are melee. Yeah desync is problem and why I don't fuck with it but still seems powerful in right hands (connection)

1) Reave is not really melee. It's as melee as Lightning Tendrils. (Technically your Ice Nova build is more melee than Reave is.)
2) Flicker is definitely an exceptional melee skill. Due to the built-in movement it keeps up with ranged clear speed. Leap Slam has similar clear speed bonuses. Both are miles ahead of stuff like Glacial Hammer or Infernal Blow.

That being said, it's not impossible to beat the game on hard mode. The question is if melee should be noticably harder than ranged by design; if it should require better gear and better skill to function properly.

Given that there are 22 skills that use melee weapons (2 of which -- puncture/elehit -- are all weapon types) out of 67 directly damaging skills in the game*, you'd think that they'd make up a larger portion of the powerful endgame builds (both powerful in farming, in mapping, and in targeted challenges such as Uber/Atziri).

-Not counting Vaal skills.
- Counting based on being an attack that uses a melee weapon, not measuring based on their effective range.
- Also included the various summons as "directly damaging" skills.
- Does not include veng/reck/riposte/TS since they are reactionary.
Last edited by pneuma on Dec 29, 2014, 12:29:52 AM
Melees are extremely powerful at high levels, geared to the teeth. Overgeared melees can rush a map like no other.
There are just some tiny little problems:
-requires several hundreds of exalts in gear; could be OP only in Standard for 99.99% of the player base (where deaths doesn't matter anyway)
-can still fail bad in some rare situations, where ranged will make it up with ease

Melee is not noob friendly.
Isn't a good choice for a fresh start; gear dependent.
Is a dangerous play style in HC, due to the nature of the game - desync, severe damage spikes, presence of ridiculous difficulty spikes (Minara in a high map, anyone?).

This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Dec 29, 2014, 4:23:06 AM
I wonder if some people here have even tried melee past normal Hillock.
So many weird things in here.

I have played PoE for about 2000 hours, and 1500 of them have been spent on pure melee characters. I tried a couple casting/ranged builds, but was bored and deleted them.
(Even the one witch in my char list is a melee char with Hyaon's Fury, the one ranger is dualwielding swords)

1. "All the one shots."
When properly geared with a proper melee tree, there's the following close range "oneshots" in the game:
Vaal smash, Dominus Touch of God (Kole doesn't hit nearly hard enough).
Both are telegraphed and you have plenty of time to avoid them.
You can also gear up enough that those are not even oneshots any more.
There's a couple other scenarios that get you killed super quick, but those consist of combinations of stuff (map mods + certain monster with certain mods etc). This requires judgement done by yourself (can I take them on?).
The rest of dangerous stuff is dangerous to ranged chars as well.

There's a lot of shit that only applies to melee (dead zombie chaos dot and such), but that stuff usually should not kill you and is definetly not oneshot material.

2. "You have to tank everything as melee."
No!
You can try to build a "tank everything" character, but usually this won't work in every scenario, so you have to find other strategies to beat certain scenarios. And the game offers plenty of possibilies to do so. Decoy totems, Summons, IC, movement skills etc...

My current 2h melee hero is more maneuverable than the flameblast chars I see on twitch, and is getting hit less often (and seems to clear faster, as well).

3. "You need better gear as melee."
You need life rolls and resist rolls, as a caster needs as well.
Such items are common enough to find them yourself.

You need a weapon.
Those are too rare to do it selffound in most cases, but they are still common enough that 3-5 chaos orbs (farmed super fast) will get you a weapon that is enough to clear maps <75, and with about 1 Ex or 20-30 chaos (again, this can be farmed by anyone), you get one that let's you clear anything.

What I'm currently wearing, most selffound:
Spoiler

That's super-cheap stuff anyone can find or buy.
And you don't really need better gear than this to have fun in this game.
I'll happily walk around in higher maps with that shit once I get there (still building up a map pool).

4. "Your clearspeed sucks."
You can build for oneshoots against anything smaller than a rare for a couple chaos, in a 4L main attack.

You have gap-closing skills like Flicker/Leap Slam that get you in contact almost instantly.

A ranged char has to walk around to pick up stuff as well.
Monsters surviving the initial AoE attack still have to be brought down by ranged chars.
(I laugh at flameblast chars having to recast their shit so often for spread out survivors of the big blast, that takes so much time, I laugh even harder when I see an Arc char trying to kill a rare/boss with single target Arc)

With the addition of Herald of Ash (+ Proliferation), you can murder 2 screens of monsters with one attack.
Clearspeed is fine.

---

Melee has disadvantages against ranged that will never go away, just because of the very nature of melee and ranged.
But this game provides all the tools necessary to have a successful melee career.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Dec 29, 2014, 6:23:38 AM
"
Peterlerock wrote:
I wonder if some people here have even tried melee past normal Hillock.
So many weird things in here.

I have played PoE for about 2000 hours, and 1500 of them have been spent on pure melee characters. I tried a couple casting/ranged builds, but was bored and deleted them.
(Even the one witch in my char list is a melee char with Hyaon's Fury, the one ranger is dualwielding swords)

1. "All the one shots."
When properly geared with a proper melee tree, there's the following close range "oneshots" in the game:
Vaal smash, Dominus Touch of God (Kole doesn't hit nearly hard enough).
Both are telegraphed and you have plenty of time to avoid them.
You can also gear up enough that those are not even oneshots any more.
There's a couple other scenarios that get you killed super quick, but those consist of combinations of stuff (map mods + certain monster with certain mods etc). This requires judgement done by yourself (can I take them on?).
The rest of dangerous stuff is dangerous to ranged chars as well.

There's a lot of shit that only applies to melee (dead zombie chaos dot and such), but that stuff usually should not kill you and is definetly not oneshot material.

2. "You have to tank everything as melee."
No!
You can try to build a "tank everything" character, but usually this won't work in every scenario, so you have to find other strategies to beat certain scenarios. And the game offers plenty of possibilies to do so. Decoy totems, Summons, IC, movement skills etc...

My current 2h melee hero is more maneuverable than the flameblast chars I see on twitch, and is getting hit less often (and seems to clear faster, as well).

3. "You need better gear as melee."
You need life rolls and resist rolls, as a caster needs as well.
Such items are common enough to find them yourself.

You need a weapon.
Those are too rare to do it selffound in most cases, but they are still common enough that 3-5 chaos orbs (farmed super fast) will get you a weapon that is enough to clear maps <75, and with about 1 Ex or 20-30 chaos (again, this can be farmed by anyone), you get one that let's you clear anything.

What I'm currently wearing, most selffound:
Spoiler

That's super-cheap stuff anyone can find or buy.
And you don't really need better gear than this to have fun in this game.
I'll happily walk around in higher maps with that shit once I get there (still building up a map pool).

4. "Your clearspeed sucks."
You can build for oneshoots against anything smaller than a rare for a couple chaos, in a 4L main attack.

You have gap-closing skills like Flicker/Leap Slam that get you in contact almost instantly.

A ranged char has to walk around to pick up stuff as well.
Monsters surviving the initial AoE attack still have to be brought down by ranged chars.
(I laugh at flameblast chars having to recast their shit so often for spread out survivors of the big blast, that takes so much time, I laugh even harder when I see an Arc char trying to kill a rare/boss with single target Arc)

With the addition of Herald of Ash (+ Proliferation), you can murder 2 screens of monsters with one attack.
Clearspeed is fine.

---

Melee has disadvantages against ranged that will never go away, just because of the very nature of melee and ranged.
But this game provides all the tools necessary to have a successful melee career.

Melee is utter crap in PoE but I continue to suffer it because I love to tank. Get a tank to level 95+ and then talk to me about how PoE gives us all the tools we need to "have a successful melee career." Ranged DPS RULES PoE. Period.
"
torturo wrote:
Melees are extremely powerful at high levels, geared to the teeth. Overgeared melees can rush a map like no other.
There are just some tiny little problems:
-requires several hundreds of exalts in gear; could be OP only in Standard for 99.99% of the player base (where deaths doesn't matter anyway)
-can still fail bad in some rare situations, where ranged will make it up with ease

Melee is not noob friendly.
Isn't a good choice for a fresh start; gear dependent.
Is a dangerous play style in HC, due to the nature of the game - desync, severe damage spikes, presence of ridiculous difficulty spikes (Minara in a high map, anyone?).

Not really. What you are talking about is shavs+dagger melee. This has nothing to do with sword/axe/mace/any 2h melee & all this based on life and not es, what the real melee is.

All these builds suck heavily compared to any es based shavs + high base crit weapon (no matter if wand, crit bow, claw or dagger). In general it is more that the latter is op than life based/no high base crit weapon melee is up tho.
Last edited by LSN on Dec 29, 2014, 10:02:54 AM
Melee is pretty good (endgame) if you're very lucky with getting above avarage gear or a wealthy person, as a melee you also need to use a lot of movement skills but at the same time its kinda suicidal since this game has its issues with desync & co.

Adding a global 15-20% DMG mitigation once a char uses close range melee skills would solve the problem IMHO, that's maybe not enough for damage spikes from hard monster types but enough to feel overall much better as a melee in the front line.
- Best Signature Ever -
"
Gemdraco wrote:

Get a tank to level 95+ and then talk to me about how PoE gives us all the tools we need to "have a successful melee career." Ranged DPS RULES PoE. Period.

Amazing argumentation.

So one char at 95 does give me the right to talk, but ten at 85-90 does not.

Does a 95 char play other content? Do the maps suddenly change and get harder just because I am a higher level? Probably not, right?
Last edited by Peterlerock on Dec 29, 2014, 10:10:20 AM
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
Gemdraco wrote:

Get a tank to level 95+ and then talk to me about how PoE gives us all the tools we need to "have a successful melee career." Ranged DPS RULES PoE. Period.

Amazing argumentation.

So one char at 95 does give me the right to talk, but ten at 85-90 does not.

Does a 95 char play other content? Do the maps suddenly change?

Your characters haven't survived enough. Period.
Lol. How would you know how often my chars die?
And even if I died all day, that would tell more about my playing skills and items/builds, than about the state of melee.

So how about answering to my post instead of stupid "you have no HC95+ char, you don't talk here"?
Last edited by Peterlerock on Dec 29, 2014, 10:27:44 AM
"
LSN wrote:

Not really. What you are talking about is shavs+dagger melee.

Oh, I completely ignore this build, it represents the worst aspects of this game.
I'm talking about traditional S&B melees, that cut maps like butter. They exist. Like albino rhoas.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Dec 29, 2014, 10:50:26 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info