anyone else play grim dawn?

"
They actually took the Titan Quest model and improved on it.

I loved TQ. Maybe because one of the first games I ever played. That video looks awesome!
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 6, 2016, 4:26:51 AM
Answers in bold.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
I Have questions before I try it maybe someone can answer

Is end game gated? Like you know here where to get a shot at Uber atziri you need to farm the vaal areas then arziri farm then maybe you get a shot. Its retarded so I just buy sets off people.
No gating. A small exception would be that you need some resources to make special keys with which you can open gates to endgame dungeons. But they are fairly easy to come by.

Whats the end game like anyway? Lame maps or unlimited difficulty like D3s rifts?
Two large endgame dungeons and one smaller one. Also, boss farming. And soon there will be a DLC where you fight waves of monsters for increasing rewards.

Can u play offline?
Yes, it's designed as an offline single-player game.

Do they have AH? What kind of trade tools do they have?
No trade tools, no AH.

Is it a one shot fest like here? By That I mean I one shot everything no fights really. Not get one shot.
No one-shotting of bosses. With BiS gear you will have an easy time with most bosses, but only with some particular builds and you have to get that gear first which can take some time

Thanks

Last edited by Jojas on Jul 6, 2016, 5:37:22 AM
Thanks for your reply. Sound really awesome. One more if you please... So how does one trade? Is this a self found game?
Git R Dun!
End game isn't gated. As Jojas said, two high lvl roguelike dungeons require special keys to enter, but the components for these keys come naturally while playing, or could be collected by dedicated farming with no headaches. Also, these two dungeons somehow sustain each other, the one could drop the materials needed for the other and vice versa.
Besides the dungeons, lategame got two tiers: a)regular boss hunt, b)special boss hunt. Special bosses are quite challenging at high difficulty, require good gear and well developed build. Both regular bosses and special ones require no resources to run.
Also a survival mode is on its way with a new DLC.

Yeah, it's mostly single player offline game with multiplayer option (which came later on demand, initially it wasn't even planned).

There's no even point to trade in this game. Drops got nothing in common with what you've go used to in PoE. You will have your items just playing the game. Game's doable solo SF with no trading. But if you insist on top tier legendary/double rare items, it requires time and dedication, drops are not common. There is some kind of trading, but you will more likely get the items for free from someone. Game's not competitive nor got an economy, so items don't have such a value. They can be even downloaded from the internet, but of course it kills the fun. The game is 100% SF playable, itemization is brutal - and actually items define the build.

It's not a oneshot fest and when you die it's slower than in here. Of course there are exceptions, while fighting certain enemies - won't get oneshot but may get your ass wiped pretty fast. Also defenses, items and build matter, like in every aRPG - tanks die pretty hard, lower defense builds (glass cannons, weak casters, etc.) may get their asses handed to them. There are few special enemies though, which can roflstomp over you in a split second if you play recklessly, or defenses fail, or engaging them when not geared enough.
Basically survival is based on manual hero positioning and avoiding to get overwhelmed (like not bohoo rushing a big crowd, or arrogantly facetanking the mad queen, etc.), kiting.
Game could feel quite hard and challenging for fresh start newbies while they get use to the basic principles and mechanics, though.

BTW mind that if you try it, you will never come back, or will just for a while.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Jul 6, 2016, 10:12:21 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Sound really awesome. One more if you please... So how does one trade? Is this a self found game?

It's designed as a self-found game but you can trade via a trade window like in PoE. Mostly it's done to complete sets or get elusive uniques afaik.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
I Have questions before I try it maybe someone can answer

Is end game gated? Like you know here where to get a shot at Uber atziri you need to farm the vaal areas then arziri farm then maybe you get a shot. Its retarded so I just buy sets off people.

I'll give you a perfectly 100% honest answer. Most build combinations in this game can't beat the toughest bosses in the game. The same is true in a lot of ARPGs, PoE included.

The best build to start with IMO, if you just want to have a shot at beating all the game's content without having to be insanely geared, would be a 2h Warder build, something like this:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41810

"

Whats the end game like anyway? Lame maps or unlimited difficulty like D3s rifts?

End game is hunting down nemesis mobs, or one of the other "super" bosses. Or running some of the side areas like BoC. Make it to the end, there is a boss (tough) waiting on you, he can drop good stuff, and there are good loot chests as well. You need a consumable item, a skeleton key to enter, but the rewards are better because the potential for loot is better than just repeating regular dungeon areas.

"

Can u play offline?

Yup. The game is balanced around single player offline play. You can play online if you want. You can host or join LAN or online via steam, etc.

"

Do they have AH? What kind of trade tools do they have?

No AH, no trade tools. There isn't even a trade window. Some players post topics looking to trade though.

"

Is it a one shot fest like here? By That I mean I one shot everything no fights really. Not get one shot.

Early on if you max out some of your skills, you can oneshot lots of stuff, but its effectiveness will taper off. So you can level fast to start out if you want with some builds by just putting all the points of your early levels into DPS skills. But later on, you'll require gear for those skills to be viable. Gear with % damage increases and gear that gives skill point bonuses, etc. Most of these types of builds start out good, lag some time in the middle of elite, and don't improve that much till they're geared out end game.

Oh, and you WILL get oneshotted in this game by a lot of stuff if you don't at least make an effort to build somewhat defensively. Mobs in this game hit like mac trucks. Regular mobs in general are far more threatening in Grim Dawn than they are in PoE. If your DA, defensive ability stat is too low, trash mobs can crit you, and hero mobs and bosses will crit you lots. The later of which can club you like you're a baby seal if you're too squishy. I got hit for 11500 by "The Iron Maiden" one of the Nemesis super bosses. For the 3 seconds I was able to attack and do damage, her HP bar barely moved and I got instagibbed. So if you're looking for a fight, this game will give you one.

In Grim Dawn, any build in Ultimate that has less than about 10k HP and 2000 DA is technically a glass cannon with minor exceptions. Blademasters can get by with less than that only because their DPS is god tier, and they got a good amount of leech. You got a lot more resists you have to manage in Grim Dawn over PoE as well, and its extremely hard if not impossible to max resists on every build.

I just recorded another video that explains why casters are shit, and melee is GGs in Grim Dawn. Face tanked and spanked the Mad Queen in under 2 minutes, with a considerably less geared melee build. I'll upload it later on. Because I got really BS data rates on my shit internet, and have to do shit like download games, or upload videos after 2am.

The problem isn't that I can't face tank with a caster, but casters don't do enough DPS kiting to compete with melee face tank DPS (with minor exceptions like abusing time dilation + skills like doom bolt. Time dilation removes cooldowns for 8 secs.). That's the main issue atm. When you throw procs and devotions into the mix, a caster would probably have to do 5 fold the DPS of melee to make up for the fact they can't stand still and unload their full DPS all the time.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jul 6, 2016, 12:51:51 PM
I surely misread the question about oneshots.

No, you can't oneshot bosses/heroes/yellows, not even white mobs at high difficulties.

- mobs scale with you to a certain point, mobs on ultimate are constantly above your level; scaling gives them HP increase, along with damage

- single target damage is balanced in a way you can oneshoot whites/yellows only if you go full glass cannon on certain skills with high damage increase and you probably got to crit to do so, but char won't last long; forget about oneshotting bosses/heroes

- AoE damage is gated by procs/CDs, consistent AoE skills are cut in power; mostly forget about oneshotting crowds, but even if you got the damage potential,procs/CDs will slow overall clear speed/AoE sps drastically

Also, Smiley, it's almost impossible to get oneshot in this game, unless full glass cannon, terribly undergeared, or with awful defenses. Some nemeses or bosses make an exception, though, if HP isn't high enough.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Jul 6, 2016, 1:58:50 PM
I am now in ultimate difficulty and if someone thinks its diablo game he will be disappointed.
Grim Dawn is not arpg. Its mmorpg for single player.
If your approach to the game is like to mmorpg than its great game, but if u look for arpg, than look elsewhere, its not arpg.
"
Rexeos wrote:
I am now in ultimate difficulty and if someone thinks its diablo game he will be disappointed.
Grim Dawn is not arpg. Its mmorpg for single player.
If your approach to the game is like to mmorpg than its great game, but if u look for arpg, than look elsewhere, its not arpg.

What do you mean with MMORPG for single player?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info