The Beta Effect

There are so many people who'd kill for a key (including me) but chances are most of us won't be playing until release. I for one have actually had a game completely ruined after getting into beta, so much that I never played when it was finally released. With all the begging, pleading and posting pointless threads all for a boost at their chances to play early I'd be interested to have a post-beta thread of how many people wish they HADN't gotten in and instead waited for release to enjoy the finished product.

**Loor-Hor 4 Life! heh heh
#1 Loot-Hor
This is a legit post.

Props to you man, if i had key, i'd give for you just on this posting.

:)

If you wanted it of course.

Sorry, but hopefully soon you get!
If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?
Would be interesting to see for a statistical effect!

I am quite happy to test and will be enjoying the game in full release, though I wonder how many alpha and beta members will play after it goes live for more than a few weeks.
0 Pre-Beta Posts
Inactivity =/= Indifference

Core i7 quad 2.3
8gb ddr3
2gb ati 5650HD
1280x720
"
Iycan wrote:
There are so many people who'd kill for a key (including me) but chances are most of us won't be playing until release. I for one have actually had a game completely ruined after getting into beta, so much that I never played when it was finally released. With all the begging, pleading and posting pointless threads all for a boost at their chances to play early I'd be interested to have a post-beta thread of how many people wish they HADN't gotten in and instead waited for release to enjoy the finished product.

I've beta tested a lot of games, and I've also had the same experience once where my release was totally ruined by playing beta. It was World of warcraft: Cataclysm. I've played WoW since closed beta in 2004, and never thought I'd get bored of it. Then I got invited for Cataclysm beta and it totally wrecked my experience. I ended up quiting WoW over it to boot.

This doesn't happen with all games though; some games I beta tested I ended up buying even thought at first I thought I'd never play it.
Hehe same here and yeah your not really "playing" in beta, but burn-outs happen hehe. It won't happen much with this game, or at least those of us who are hard-core for the genre and have waited for the next big thing for awhile. I really believe this game has the potential to take the top spot in the genre, even when matched up against similiar releases developed with all their fat cat corporate dollars. PoE has the feel of a game made by fans instead of devs who do what will make them the most money.

Path of Exile, the next game to ruin my social life!
#1 Loot-Hor
You're probably right, but to be practical, it might be better for many of us, especially those out of school, to spend a few weeks on the beta and have had a fun, brief experience with it than to spend a few years on the full release.
I know it's a cynical way of seeing things, but it's true.
I beg to differ, for me, the effect is just the opposite, waiting for a beta key months that does not come you get to hate the designers and the effect is just the opposite, do not ever play the game. The offer is very varied and with the release of Diablo 3 so close should have moved her ass a little bit more about the open beta of this game. It is my opinion, do not pretend to be right.
i fully agree...for example, i received a diablo 3 beta key, and everyone built up the game soooo much, and it really wasnt that great, before the beta i had fully paid off the game, and i was first on the list at gamestops, but after playing the beta, i pulled the money out, because i found that i was getting bored of the beta, and there were still a few quests i hadn't done. in some ways i hope i dont get the beta key for this game, so i can just jump right into the full version and see it for what it really is... But you are right, you should make a thread asking if they wish they hadn't gotten the key. if you look on any post where there are posts with beta members, there will always be someone asking for them to pass them a key or a friend request...
"
Iycan wrote:

Like I've said before... I don't play these betas, I test them. I try to never think about enjoying or being disappointed about the game and do my "job".

Come release, if it was absolute crap then I guess I wont get it. But I usually still give it a shot regardless just to see what they do with it.
Join the Veterans of War! See the thread in Off-topic for details.
Last edited by PrimusPalus on Oct 19, 2011, 10:10:55 PM
I don't see why anyone would wish they hadn't gotten in o.o; The game is great, very well made, and very fun. That being said... even if I hadn't gotten lucky and got in, I would have been happy patiently waiting until the game was out :)
I am not a female, but I really wish I was. <3

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info