[HC] Vanilla MF CI Summoner

Hey. Some people have been asking me to make a guide of my summoner witch that i play on beyond.

Notes for 1.3

Patch 1.3 made this build a little different.
The new Templar revamp removed a lot of easily obtainable ES nodes which severely hinders our ES pool.
ES shield nodes were also moved away from where it was, making it hard to get some extra ES and block (which was also nerfed), as well as ele resistances in case you need them for Andvariuses, like i did in Beyond.
On the other hand, Zealot's Oath is a lot closer now, so it only makes sense to utilize regen with our huge ES pool.

The General Idea

This build, as much as any other summoner build is easy and effective. We will be stacking as much ES as possible to increase our survivability. Because we have no evasion or armor we will be double cursing with Enfeeble and Temp Chains, which will reduce the mobs dps so much that pretty much nothing can 1 shot you or kill you faster than you can react (except maybe some map bosses with scary map mods). We will be using Evangelist spectres as our main source of damage and zombies to tank up in front and deal some single target damage. To apply curses we will be using ball lightning with elemental equilibrium to increase effectiveness of Added Fire Damage and Hatred.

Pros and Cons

+ Double defensive curse and over 10k ES makes you incredibly tanky against all sources of damage, mainly spell damage.
+ A lot of Beyond mobs do chaos damage over time, as well as some mobs late game.
+ Can run almost any map mods without problems.
+ Has space to insert some rarity to farm chaos/regal recipes or uniques while mapping.
+ Very chill to play.
+ Summoners in general require minimal gear to obtain great DPS, rest of it goes towards survivability.

- Might be a little bit hard to start as a first character on hardcore league, because of limited ES gear. Also means that it's very hard to play self found.
- Leveling is goddamn slow.
- Abaxoth rapes you, because you can't kite him so well with minions, so you will have to kill him in a party.
- Still less MF than average Flame Totem culler.
- Minion AI is infuriating sometimes.

1.3 Passive Tree

Passives
(Thanks to NoobTubeRus for corrections)

Kill all bandits.

1.3 tree gives us less ES, but makes it easier to get ES regen though. So you would probably drop like 500 ES in exchange for about 3.2% ES regen per second. We also dropped ES recharge delay nodes for that reason. The new tree also gives more strength on our routes, making it easier to get enough STR for gems without needed the +30 nodes or mass stats on all jewelry.

If you have trouble getting enough resistances for Andvariuses, you can get the +12% resist node at templar area for only 1 extra point exposure. If you need more, you can get the block nodes below that also give resistances.

1.2 Passive Tree

Passives
(Thanks to MatrixFactor for correction)

Kill all bandits, on all difficulties.

As you can see from the passive tree, we grabbed all the minion nodes to maximize their effectiveness as it's the only thing that scales them except for gem level and support gems. We also get some aura nodes to have 2x60% and 1x40% auras.
For the rest, we get as much ES as we can get.
The reason i went for shield nodes on the left side is because i needed more resists to be able to maintain 2x andvariuses with aurseize, as i couldn't find a 500 ES shield with proper resistances on beyond at the time of writing. If you can get that, you can go for some other passives, maybe the armor/es nodes, because of 5% es per node.

Gear

Perfectly rolled Ephemeral Edge vies us free 50% increased ES. That's pretty much best in slot for the cost (1c) for us, the only other option would be Mon'tregul's Grasp, which is pretty expensive, but might be a better alternative damage wise.

I'm using 2x andvariuses and aurseize to get to 200% rarity, which is pretty good. Alternatively you could get ES rings with some rarity rolls on it and some ES gloves to have somewhere around 12-13k ES instead, but a lot less rarity.

Bones of Ullr is (unfortunately) a must, because extra spectre is very important. Every new spectre we get increases our dps more the less spectres we have already. So 2 spectres over 1 give us 100% extra and 3 spectres over 2 make it 50% more.

You want a belt with high STR rolls so you would need less STR passives, same goes for DEX on amulet.
Having extra shield on amulet is nice.

For the rest, just stack your ES and resistances as high as possible on gear.

Defense Stats

FAQ

-Why are you not using clarity?
-Minions don't benefit from it and we only cast low mana cost spells from time to time, so clarity is not necessary, natural mana regen is enough.

-Whats your aura setup?
-Discipline and Purity of elements, plus Hatred with Generosity.

-How do you survive with no armor?
-Lots of ES to soak the damage and enfeeble/temp chains/chill from hatred to reduce the mobs' DPS. I also use granite flask that gives me about 6k armor when i see rhoas/goats/blackguards charging me or something like that.

-No vaal discipline, no flasks, no leech, no zealots oath, how do you regen shield?
-I stay out of combat and recharge it. As a summoner you're not going to get damaged 90% of the time with proper positioning. If you do, your ES will be enough to tank it and let you get to safety. We also take recharge delay nodes to make it recharge sooner.

Map mods

Most of the map mods are fine.
Blood magic is the worst of all.
Fire/Cold/Phys resist will slow you down a bit.
Minus max/Ele weak will force you to play more cautious.

Video Demonstration

http://youtu.be/hagiwFvn1YE
Unfortunately Gorge map was the highest i had at the moment, but this build can do 78s pretty easy too.

Leveling

This is the boring part.
You can technically start using minions as early as when you have matua tapuna shield and some support gems to amplify your minions. It will be very slow though.
My recommendation is to level using flameblast/searing bond all the way until around level50-60 where you can buy useful gear.
I, myself, leveled all the way to 68 so i could use my Vaal Regalia i bought earlier and i also didn't have any intermediate gear at all.
While leveling you want to take many life/life+es nodes that are conveniently along the way for the main build and respec them later.
Last edited by Tyrrrz on Dec 29, 2014, 8:40:02 AM
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
"
MatrixFactor wrote:

Wow, now i feel stupid. Thanks for the correction!
I was looking around for an MF build the other day and I saw this guide. I respeced a tri totem raging skulls summoner I had. It was low level and slow. When I switched over to this build it was hard to find exactly the right links and gear for it, but after I did I worked out pretty well. I am lvl 59 have about 3.3k es and 750 hp. Probably won't take CI until I hit 4k or so. I really like this build so far. On another side note, I am working this build in standard.

Thanks for the build!
"
I was looking around for an MF build the other day and I saw this guide. I respeced a tri totem raging skulls summoner I had. It was low level and slow. When I switched over to this build it was hard to find exactly the right links and gear for it, but after I did I worked out pretty well. I am lvl 59 have about 3.3k es and 750 hp. Probably won't take CI until I hit 4k or so. I really like this build so far. On another side note, I am working this build in standard.

Thanks for the build!

Thanks. You can easily start with 4 links on everything (5l or 6l is luxury). The mandatory part is Bones of Ullr, you can put your Curse on Hit setup there, because you will be using it forever. For zombies you need +2 minion helmet, in which you will put Zombies-Minion Life-Melee Damage-Multistrike, your spectres can be anywhere, but the best 4L setup would be Spectres-Conc Effect-Inc AOE-Spell Echo.
One thing i forgot to mention was that we're using Evangelist as spectres. I personally find them the best among others.
Why do you use Concentrated Effect instead of Minion Damage for your spectres? Concentrated Effect would be 69% increased damage at level 20, and cancels out your Increased Area Effect gem, while Minion Damage would be 77% increased damage while allowing you to get the full effect of your IAE gem. Also Minion Damage has the bonus of increasing damage with quality as well, while Concentrated Effect just reduces the mana cost with quality.
"
ogowmanty wrote:
Why do you use Concentrated Effect instead of Minion Damage for your spectres? Concentrated Effect would be 69% increased damage at level 20, and cancels out your Increased Area Effect gem, while Minion Damage would be 77% increased damage while allowing you to get the full effect of your IAE gem. Also Minion Damage has the bonus of increasing damage with quality as well, while Concentrated Effect just reduces the mana cost with quality.

The reason is pretty simple. Concentrated Effect has a 'more' damage modifier, meaning it multiplies after all other modifiers. Just from the passive tree we have +100% increased minion damage. That means that any more increased minion damage will be less effective (such as Minion Damage gem) because of diminishing returns. In other words, x+177% (minion damage is MUCH worse than (x+100%)*1.69 (conc effect). You can count it yourself if you assume your evangelist does, for example 1000 damage. Passive tree gives him another 1000. With minion damage gem it would be 1000+1000*1.77=2770 damage. Assuming we even have 20/20 minion damage gem 1000+1000*1.92 =2920. With conc effect it would be (1000+1000) * 1.69 = 3380 damage. Seems pretty obvious what's better. Added fire damage works on a similar mechanic.
We use Increased AOE gem specifically to overcome the downside of Conc Effect, but at 20% quality it actually gives significant AOE increase over it.
I chose Melee Damage vs Minion Damage for the same reason (more vs increased).
Hope i explained well, for more info you can check Diminishing Returns on wikipedia.
Last edited by Tyrrrz on Sep 27, 2014, 6:50:40 AM
Hi, thanks for sharing the build. I tried and fancy it, but wonder how you rise Undying Evangelists with Spell Echo? It's really annoying when Rise Spectre repeat itself and I could not rise 3 Undying Evangelists at once. There are always some unwanted fellas. Putting out Spell Echo just before rising won't do, will it?
"
Hi, thanks for sharing the build. I tried and fancy it, but wonder how you rise Undying Evangelists with Spell Echo? It's really annoying when Rise Spectre repeat itself and I could not rise 3 Undying Evangelists at once. There are always some unwanted fellas. Putting out Spell Echo just before rising won't do, will it?

Yes, i remove spell echo when raise them. After 1.2 came, snapshotting was removed so all gems are updated real time, meaning that once you put spell echo back, the evangelists will have it.
you're awesome thanks for this build
ign:colonnedellavanti

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info