[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

I've always been really put off by blind because of the only 10% chance to blind on hit. I've been trying different links but do you really notice a difference at all with the linked blind?
"
dezahp wrote:
I've always been really put off by blind because of the only 10% chance to blind on hit. I've been trying different links but do you really notice a difference at all with the linked blind?

Nope, it's just something to put there. :)
Sovyn, first of all great build and I appreciate your activeness in this thread. I've played to lvl 84 on tempest with your build. And i'm liking it, ALOT!
I've made some changes to fit more into HC, i.e focus on surviveability since 50k static strikes are more than enough for me at my level.

I have some concerns/issue/improvements/ideas or whatever you wanna call it. I know your build advocates "lazyness" and is aiming for a 1 button build, but i'm just trying to think out of the box and improving my character in any way possible and i'd like your opinion on the matter.

Issue 1: Endurance charges has low uptime. This is because of my solo playstyle of picking up every rare item, allowing the timer to run out. This is also because I have 5 endurance charges which causes the buff to take long time to stack up to max (considering of going 7 endurance charges in 8 lvls). I have 90% phys reduction with 4 endurance charges + granite (granite doesn't have 100% uptime though so I feel like more endurance charges wouldn't hurt!)

Solution to 1: Instead of going riposte, vengeance, stun, endurance charge on stun i'd go manual enduring cry to easily manage my endurance charges and on a 3L i'd go max level CWDT (3272 dmg)+increased duration+immortal call. According to my calculations with 7 endurance charges you would get 100% phys reduction for 7.64 seconds giving you more than enough time to stack up on endurance charges again.
I can't see why this would be "bad" tradeoff? Bosses in general wont get stunned for long and vengeance/riposte dps doesn't seem noticeable seing as your main skill does 50k+ dps. And enduring cry basically has instant cast time (0.25s) so there won't be much of a stutter there and not to mention the free life regen you get from the skill.

Issue 2:I'm having 3 skills (if I were to use enduring cry) that uses BM, it feels like it's a big waste of support/gem slots to use 3 BM support gems.

Solution to 2: Go Soul taker.
+Decent soul taker ~300 pdps goes for the same price as a decent ~pdps300 doryani's on tempest.
+My build relies on RT, so the crit on doryani's is not even used.
+Freing up 3 BM gems (leap slam, cyclone, enduring cry). This make it so you can use other beneficial support gems instead.
+Free 20% cold resist and chance to chill enemies (it's like getting a free curse on hit with temporal chains lvl 20)
+-Cyclone won't benefit THAT much from the WEP from doryani's compared to static strike anyway.
- Ele life leech from doryani's is lost.

All in all, all these suggestions are in favour of survivability as of now I have no issues AT ALL to clear mobs even if i'm running AA instead of herald of ice/storm and chaos golem instead of flame golem.
Last edited by Buiaka on Jul 27, 2015, 12:17:29 AM
Hi Sovyn

I have a question regarding Doryani's Catalyst and its proliferate thing. I read some pages back that you didnt want to use Herald of Ash there, since it reserves more mana and it wasnt worth it.

Question 1)
From looking at your items on page 1, it does not seem that your movement skill (Shield Charge) has any lightning damage in it? Whould it not be a dps increase, when fighting groups, if you added some lightning damage to the movement skill in the Catalyst (physical to lightning gem) so that if the movement skill shocks it also proliferates?

Question 2)
Since it appears you have a free gem slot in gear. Would in not be possible to move Tempest Shield + another cast when damage taken gem into the catalyst and make the occasional shock from Tempest Shield proliferate?

p.s. i have not read all 446 pages, so im sry if you allready covered this ;)

Hi Sovyn,

first of all thanks for the build! I have used it for a quite a while and I am very happy with it. I got back into the game with the release of 2.0 and used the respec to update the passive skill tree the day after 2.0 got released. However, when I looked at your recommended build yesterday, it does not match mine. I noticed that you have updated the build during July. Some changes include removing the points improving the Foritfy Support Gem. Can you please take a look at my current build and tell me whether or not I should respec? From my point of view, the differences are not that great, but I would like your expert opinion. Can you also elaborate why you changed the build as you did?

Thanks and best regards,

Gunseng
"
Buiaka wrote:
Sovyn, first of all great build and I appreciate your activeness in this thread. I've played to lvl 84 on tempest with your build. And i'm liking it, ALOT!
I've made some changes to fit more into HC, i.e focus on surviveability since 50k static strikes are more than enough for me at my level.

I have some concerns/issue/improvements/ideas or whatever you wanna call it. I know your build advocates "lazyness" and is aiming for a 1 button build, but i'm just trying to think out of the box and improving my character in any way possible and i'd like your opinion on the matter.

Issue 1: Endurance charges has low uptime. This is because of my solo playstyle of picking up every rare item, allowing the timer to run out. This is also because I have 5 endurance charges which causes the buff to take long time to stack up to max (considering of going 7 endurance charges in 8 lvls). I have 90% phys reduction with 4 endurance charges + granite (granite doesn't have 100% uptime though so I feel like more endurance charges wouldn't hurt!)

Solution to 1: Instead of going riposte, vengeance, stun, endurance charge on stun i'd go manual enduring cry to easily manage my endurance charges and on a 3L i'd go max level CWDT (3272 dmg)+increased duration+immortal call. According to my calculations with 7 endurance charges you would get 100% phys reduction for 7.64 seconds giving you more than enough time to stack up on endurance charges again.
I can't see why this would be "bad" tradeoff? Bosses in general wont get stunned for long and vengeance/riposte dps doesn't seem noticeable seing as your main skill does 50k+ dps. And enduring cry basically has instant cast time (0.25s) so there won't be much of a stutter there and not to mention the free life regen you get from the skill.

Issue 2:I'm having 3 skills (if I were to use enduring cry) that uses BM, it feels like it's a big waste of support/gem slots to use 3 BM support gems.

Solution to 2: Go Soul taker.
+Decent soul taker ~300 pdps goes for the same price as a decent ~pdps300 doryani's on tempest.
+My build relies on RT, so the crit on doryani's is not even used.
+Freing up 3 BM gems (leap slam, cyclone, enduring cry). This make it so you can use other beneficial support gems instead.
+Free 20% cold resist and chance to chill enemies (it's like getting a free curse on hit with temporal chains lvl 20)
+-Cyclone won't benefit THAT much from the WEP from doryani's compared to static strike anyway.
- Ele life leech from doryani's is lost.

All in all, all these suggestions are in favour of survivability as of now I have no issues AT ALL to clear mobs even if i'm running AA instead of herald of ice/storm and chaos golem instead of flame golem.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Issue one, Yes, you are welcome to run manual enduring cry. The timing on Immortal Call via CWDT won't be optimal so to make the most of it you would need manual immortal call as well. It's a lot of work to make the most of this. You could explore endurance charge generation via bringer of rain or Daresso's Defiance. Personally I don't think any of this is necessary as we have up to 90% damage reduction for physical already but up to you. Awful lot of worrying for that last 10%, IMO. Physical is not a threat, it's elemental and chaos that might get ya. Same as with any other high armor tank build.

Issue two, mana, just get 0.4% mana leech on both rings and use a doryani's catalyst with static strike, much better than soul taker and no mana issues so no need for BM gems. Doryani's will do a lot more damage than a soul taker.... don't forget that survival has a lot to do with how quickly bosses die. I do suggest a BM gem on the movement skill just to keep your mana free for the main attack.

Chaos Golem instead of the others is a fine choice for hardcore. Very minor difference either way here.
"
Qtic wrote:
Hi Sovyn

I have a question regarding Doryani's Catalyst and its proliferate thing. I read some pages back that you didnt want to use Herald of Ash there, since it reserves more mana and it wasnt worth it.

Question 1)
From looking at your items on page 1, it does not seem that your movement skill (Shield Charge) has any lightning damage in it? Whould it not be a dps increase, when fighting groups, if you added some lightning damage to the movement skill in the Catalyst (physical to lightning gem) so that if the movement skill shocks it also proliferates?

Question 2)
Since it appears you have a free gem slot in gear. Would in not be possible to move Tempest Shield + another cast when damage taken gem into the catalyst and make the occasional shock from Tempest Shield proliferate?

p.s. i have not read all 446 pages, so im sry if you allready covered this ;)

Hello Qtic :)

1) Never thought of trying to apply shock with movement skill. I don't know how reliable that would be. I'm currently using shield charge and rarely target anything with it (ground targeting just to get around quickly) so I'd personally rather support it with faster attacks (zip around maps) and blood magic (keep my mana for main attack). Your idea would probably work better with leap slam as it has a small AOE to it. I don't know how often it would apply shock.

2) Yes I certainly thought of using a second CWDT as I did in the 1.3 and prior build but again I don't know if TS would shock as it does so little damage.
"
Gunseng wrote:
Hi Sovyn,

first of all thanks for the build! I have used it for a quite a while and I am very happy with it. I got back into the game with the release of 2.0 and used the respec to update the passive skill tree the day after 2.0 got released. However, when I looked at your recommended build yesterday, it does not match mine. I noticed that you have updated the build during July. Some changes include removing the points improving the Foritfy Support Gem. Can you please take a look at my current build and tell me whether or not I should respec? From my point of view, the differences are not that great, but I would like your expert opinion. Can you also elaborate why you changed the build as you did?

Thanks and best regards,

Gunseng

Hi Gunseng, glad you are happy with the build.

The reason for the change 2-3 days after the 2.0 launch was because GGG nerfed the shield block on jewels from 2% to 1% without telling anybody. As this is a max block build I had to change things to still provide max block with affordable gear. Your tree looks fine. You can still max block by using anvil or bringer of rain or gloves with 2% block crafted on by haku or corrupted lazhwar with block or aegis aurora. Some combination thereof. Or leave it at 71%, not a big deal to be honest. Or, if you have not used any of the quest respec points that will cover it for the most part if you want to respec.
"
Sovyn wrote:

Issue two, mana, just get 0.4% mana leech on both rings and use a doryani's catalyst with static strike, much better than soul taker and no mana issues so no need for BM gems. Doryani's will do a lot more damage than a soul taker.... don't forget that survival has a lot to do with how quickly bosses die. I do suggest a BM gem on the movement skill just to keep your mana free for the main attack.

Chaos Golem instead of the others is a fine choice for hardcore. Very minor difference either way here.

Alright, so you think (or know) that a soul taker will nerf the dps that much?
I'm not sure how I feel about using mana, i've tried it with mana leech on gloves + 1 ring and I still had big issues sustaining my mana anyway (75% mana reserved), so I had to swap out my Atziri's promise to a mana potion. Also using mana will nerf one aura, in my case probably arctic armour which is kinda huge since it provides a lot surviveability.

edit: Think I found a solution to both issue 1 & 2. Instead of vengeance+riposte setup i'd go max cwdt+increased duration+immortal call+decoy totem/molten shell (I think decoy totem might be better because of increased duration and the distraction might save you from elemental hits as well).

Go BM on 6L armor for your static strike and BM+leap slam+enduring cry+fortify on a 4L. This will lose the faster attacks on leap slam, but I think it's worth it actually.

This way, we still use doryani's, we still have 3 auras (100% reserved) and we utilize endurance charges better and on top of that we add more surviveability with immortal call/decoy totem.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Buiaka on Jul 27, 2015, 10:54:45 AM
HI
question

How important is spell block, I feel like my current boots with chaos resist and high hp give me more than rainbowstride, especially when I need spell block mostly just for bosses like in residence or crematorium and thats all, even gmp chain packs doesn't seem to be a problem as for spells. I have 65/33 atm and it feels pretty okay

I am 89 currently 77-79 maps

//edit:
Also I want ask about concentrated effect, since it increase aoe dmg, which means the charges from static strike, but no effect on main hit with melee weapon. Wouldn't be better as blue gem for example crit multiply, where u have chance if lucky to crit main hit which increases dmg for static charge as well and that can again crit itself and increase dmg even further.

Thanks for reply ;D
Last edited by Phantomik on Jul 27, 2015, 4:48:02 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info