[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

I purchased a white 5L (went with a Crusader Plate to cut costs even though Astral would have been better, since there seems to be a lot more demand for Astral), and after about 5c I got this roll:

It seems like a pretty good roll even though though the life isn't so hot, because it has the Armor roll and a bit of Chaos resistance. But the problem is it already has 6 mods. It seems as if it would be a lot better if it didn't have the stun recovery mod so I could craft it. Stun recovery seems like a dead mod. Do you think I need to reroll this, or is it okay?

Maybe I could use it for a while and maybe reroll it when I'm richer (or just do a bigger upgrade at a later date?) I only have 7 more Chaos on hand (I have other currency, but I don't really feel like trading for Chaos right now) so if I got unlucky it might end up worse.

By the way, if making this was a dumb thing to do because of the base or whatever, let me know, I won't feel too bad. I'll take it as a learning experience. It's not too hard for me to get Orbs of Chaos now that I'm regularly handing in the Chaos recipe.
Last edited by Kamina100 on Jun 23, 2015, 9:56:15 AM
"
Kamina100 wrote:
Thanks guys - sorry for the little derail, but is there a certain item level beneath which I should not consider buying? Like is 60+ stuff generally okay for getting satisfactory rolls?

Probably want 73 for a chance at the Vigorous prefix. Base Maximum Life 100 to 109. If you get a Fecund 90 to 99 you definitely call it good enough though.

"
Carlovski wrote:
If I was crit, I would definitely go all out for maxing the cold damagae for the freezes though.

Picked up a Daresso's Courage yesterday, in some ways it is worse than the Perandus with no leach or life, and the defences are still low on it (Which is a waste with all the shield defence nodes). My twisted logic is that the low life spell block chance could save me a few deaths when I get caught in a spell barrage, as soon as I hit low life I'll be on 75% spell block (Or is it 78 with the Anvil?). Which should give me time to pop a potion/get out of there/kill them. Would really need a bigger life buffer though, low life puts me at about 1000, so would only take one big hit to get through.

Will probably switch to a Lioneyes or a rare when I can, and try and get a Saffel's for nasty spell cast areas/bosses on switch. Still want to play with a Thousand Teeth Temu too.

Since I am crit right now on live for testing purposes I can say that even just with hatred I get freezes sometimes in 75-78 maps.

I've theory crafted with Daresso's Courage many times and have not found a way to make it useful.

With a naked character equipping a temu I get 3200 extra evasion, a Lioneye's I get 8200 extra armour. In 2.0 we will probably be relying even more on the counter-attacks and with Ondar's going away I'm totally advocating the armour shields now. As you know if you evade you won't have a chance to proc a counter-attack. The difference in the final chance to get hit is not that big on a max block build.
"
Kamina100 wrote:
Maybe I could use it for a while and maybe reroll it when I'm richer (or just do a bigger upgrade at a later date?) I only have 7 more Chaos on hand

It's fine for your level. I'm sure I was using something worse.

In about 10 levels you will be a bit richer and can get a better base like a glorious plate and go from there.

Or you can open a shop and start making the exalts to get a 6-link OR the right rings to support a tabula properly.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Kamina100 wrote:
Maybe I could use it for a while and maybe reroll it when I'm richer (or just do a bigger upgrade at a later date?) I only have 7 more Chaos on hand

It's fine for your level. I'm sure I was using something worse.

In about 10 levels you will be a bit richer and can get a better base like a glorious plate and go from there.

Or you can open a shop and start making the exalts to get a 6-link OR the right rings to support a tabula properly.

Good plan, thanks. I was kinda impatient to try out a 5L.
Added new FAQ item to the 2.0 guide today "Why not get some Evasion?"
Updated counter-attack curse section in the 2.0 guide to include Herald of Thunder as an alternative to blind for the 'High Damage, High Level' build.

In case anyone is wondering why, Herald of Thunder might be interesting for those high level players who want more consistent cursing (and auto pot breaking!) while fast-clearing easy content. As Herald of Thunder requires a monster kill while shocked to work, reckoning is better on bosses and other single targets. That's the reason for putting both of them on the same links. Of course I tested with Static Strike on easy content (it was spectacular of course) so results may vary.
When 2.0 is close to going live, it would be great if you could include some more thoughts in the guide about choosing between the Resolute Technique build vs. the crit build. The difference between the two passive trees seems pretty big, and there probably won't be another reset for a while, so it's an important decision for those who aren't sure which would be better for them.
"
Kamina100 wrote:
When 2.0 is close to going live, it would be great if you could include some more thoughts in the guide about choosing between the Resolute Technique build vs. the crit build. The difference between the two passive trees seems pretty big, and there probably won't be another reset for a while, so it's an important decision for those who aren't sure which would be better for them.

Right now I have the basic build labeled for 1-85 and the crit build for 85+. I think the number of needed regrets should be quite affordable for anyone that level or higher but I'm considering making the transition smoother by avoiding the scion area altogether and figuring if people can't make max block earlier without the 4 block up there, oh well, the build would still be tanky enough. If I do that all that would need to change is taking off RT once some of the crit nodes are in. So this is still a work in progress. Before investing more time into it I need to see that GGG is not going to change the tree again before release. It'll be ready in time though.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Kamina100 wrote:

Right now I have the basic build labeled for 1-85 and the crit build for 85+. I think the number of needed regrets should be quite affordable for anyone that level or higher but I'm considering making the transition smoother by avoiding the scion area altogether and figuring if people can't make max block earlier without the 4 block up there, oh well, the build would still be tanky enough. If I do that all that would need to change is taking off RT once some of the crit nodes are in. So this is still a work in progress. Before investing more time into it I need to see that GGG is not going to change the tree again before release. It'll be ready in time though.

Perhaps I overestimated the number of regrets required.

And thanks for doing all this!
Last edited by Kamina100 on Jun 25, 2015, 4:58:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info