[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
DrewC wrote:
Spoiler
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
DrewC wrote:
Anyone try using rathpith + sin trek (to help with the massive int requirement of rathpith) instead of their shield and rainbowstride?

Interesting idea. I've seen that shield before but I did not think we can use it because of the low block and the fact that we don't get too much out of ES.

Not to say it could not work. :)

Thanks for the ideas anyway!

Speaking of ES, I was finally able to save up enough curency to buy an Aegis Aurora. Still using the same build and dropped determination for discipline. Armor took a hit but still manageable. What I like about it though is that I can now get ES above 1k+ with high base armor without determination or molten, I can regen a fair chunk of 300+ per block which happens quite often. Am now tempted to get the nodes on the left side with armor + evasion as well as the 30% inc es on shield.

I guess that gives me motivation to level up my char. Been 86 for some time now just running around farmng and trying new stuff.

I'll let you know how it goes once I level up this char more.

Woo, another Aegis user, welcome to the club. Here's how I've modified the build: Click here.

Main concept of the changes: get IR, drop Ondar's Guile.

IR gives you a ton of armor (allowing you more ES regen from Aegis). And if you regen a bunch of ES from blocks, why dodge projectiles when you can now block them and regen ES? So I dropped Ondar's Guile to maximize my blocking rate. The jury is out on Unwavering Stance, but I've picked it up because of stun on charging mobs (Rhoas are the big one), but it's probably more of a quality of life node to bypass the little stun after you get hit with a charge. Even if you're in a stun you can still block, so I dunno.

I use the points from dropping Ondar's Guile to pick up the Armor/ES ring in the top left. I also dropped a few points in the '10 resists with a shield' node to give me enough points to work with.

Sovereignty/Fell the Weak is more of a Soul Taker change, and the rest of the differences are more playstyle (give up small amounts of defense for more dps) preferences.

The key to getting a decent ES without Discipline (assuming you're rocking Rainbowstrides) is a very expensive chestpiece. It should have top tier rolls in +armor and % increase to armor/ES. I crafted it when Bringers only cost 4 ex, though crafting is looking like a better option now because eternals are only 2 ex (they were 3 ex when I crafted), and Soul Taker is so stupidly expensive that you might consider crafting a chest instead.

Question why skill point over 18% phy dmg?
I live in the +8 Standard Timezone
"
Molochmane wrote:
even with a glass cannon discharger i made for an alternate. I always go back to my roots of being a lazy pally. Finally i hit lvl 86 and started to dip into high lvl maps without any issues. I've been doing very well just the bare minimum of resist because I'm farming when i'm leveling, wealth can be found in maps.

My dominating blow minions served me very very well.

update on gear:

Thanks for the update Molochmane! Always good to hear from someone who has been using the build for a long time.

Your gear is looking very good these days. Nice amount of IIR for sure. I'm guessing you hit that flask just before the killing blow on bosses.
"
seiferoth10 wrote:
Since we're kinda on the subject (give me a break, I've been playing XCOM), you should add a section on bosses that you have to take special precautions against.

I know I (as well as many others) have died to them, so we can heed the young bloods on what to look for.

Dominus: have a flask with "Removes Bleeding"
Temple (71) boss: Good ol' Piety. Bring Topaz flasks/pack on Lightning resist gear.
Jungle Valley (72) boss: The only concern here is the big spider which has an attack similar to GMP/Freezing Pulse, except chaos damage. Bring chaos resist pots/put on chaos resist gear.
Torture Chamber (72) boss: A lightning bonanza. Maybe someone can shed more light on him/her/it because I've only tried him/her/it once and smashed my face against him/her/it (dying twice) until he/she/it died.
Residence (74) boss: Basically Dominus, bring bleed pots.
Maze (74) boss: Vaal oversoul. Don't take consecutive lightning blasts and avoid the smash.
Plataeu (75) boss: Has a serious business chaos damage aura, make sure you have some chaos resist gear on (I'd say around -20 should be fine).
Crematorium (76) boss: Like that firestorm unique mob in the second area of the game, except on crack. Avoid the firestorm, or if you're brave/stupid tank it, just make sure the maps doesn't have reduced max resist or elemental weakness mods.

I've never done 78 maps, but I've heard one of the bosses is Dominus yet again.

Excellent summary! I'll add this list to the guide in a spoiler tag. If anyone in maps cares to add to it, please do. Appreciate the contribution.
"
Quixote77 wrote:

The reason why I'm not doing Piety and Dom yet is cos of my armor, namely the chest and shield. Just not good enough. What I like about the build's progression is that there aren't any wasted passives, even at this level. One more passive, one more node at the next level is still big.

I always like to get the traveling on the tree out of the way at relatively low level so we can grab the stuff that matters when the going gets slower. I think that traveling on the tree at level 80+ is just depressing! :)
"
Question why skill point over 18% phy dmg?

Either way is fine, but since 18% sounds good but is very minor in actuality, I choose the skill point to progress the build further. One point can be the difference between having something important on the tree and not. And, it can be cheaply reallocated if needs change or GGG shakes us up again as they often do.
Having a really hard time deciding if I should play my Lazy pally or a GS marauder as my first character, as a new player what would you guys choose?
"
Weidi wrote:
Having a really hard time deciding if I should play my Lazy pally or a GS marauder as my first character, as a new player what would you guys choose?

Either works, but you will make it farther with more defenses. Good endgame gear is hard to get (as the game is intended to last you a few years), and pretty much required to win unless you stack all sorts of inexpensive defenses as the lazy pally does.
Last edited by Sovyn on Nov 19, 2013, 5:02:21 PM
I've been playing something very similar after I respec'd my templar and I've been using the experience made with Aux's ranger block build.

I'm at level 60 for the moment and my build looks like this.

After this point I'll go for Precise Interception and Weapon Artistry, maybe even for Finesse (2 points for 8 IAS, 10% 1h damage and 20 dex are good), then for the life cluster right of Precise Interception, then probably for the Sovereignty cluster with -16% reservation and 12% effect of aura (above Avatar of Fire).

One of the things I'll never drop, even in the end game, is Tempest shield with Blind.
Against Blinded mobs you have 75% evade, making HP and armor that much more valuable to mitigate everything that gets trough, which is why I picked up IR.

I plan on running Hatred, Grace and Tempest Shield as soon as my gems and spec allow for it and eventually one more 40% aura (Purity or Vitality) if I manage to buy an Alpha's Howl.

Great guide and awesome build, I streamlined mine a bit but it's an overall very good guide!
IGN:
Jiaozy - Jiaozy[something]
"
Jiaozy wrote:

One of the things I'll never drop, even in the end game, is Tempest shield with Blind.
Against Blinded mobs you have 75% evade, making HP and armor that much more valuable to mitigate everything that gets trough, which is why I picked up IR.

I plan on running Hatred, Grace and Tempest Shield as soon as my gems and spec allow for it and eventually one more 40% aura (Purity or Vitality) if I manage to buy an Alpha's Howl.

Great guide and awesome build, I streamlined mine a bit but it's an overall very good guide!

Hello Jiaozy! Welcome to the thread. You are free to do as you wish of course, however the build has both evasion and armour for a good reason. Blind is great, I suggest it for the attack skill if one does not have mana sufficient to run another DPS support. However, its chance to go off is not that great with Tempest Shield. The reliability of Ondar's + evasion is better in maps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info