[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

That is still huge chance to block though.

Just did a felshrine run, you can definitely notice the increased radius of melee splash.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
gloobonious wrote:
yeah, cant wait to get a look on the new passive skill tree.

was trying to say that i need 4L boots and 3L shield *g*
already spent most of my jeweler to 6S my armor (ran out of fusing trying to slot my searing torch), but definately need it 4L with at least 2x red, the cheaper way would be to get a 3x red / 1x green helm, but lacking of ~80dex from items, to be able to use the armor (dex just comes @70 to 75 from water dancing and accelerating in duelist tree)

best would be 3x red on armor (but thats nearly impossible :-/) or i end up using cyclone.
however, need to try that out duo to the new changes to acrobatics.

1st: dodge roll
2nd: roll if crit + evasion roll
3rd: block roll

block should be high enough for spell dmg and @max on low life.

please post your "new" build if the passive tree got updated.

We never have enough orbs to craft the ideal items. :)

- I considered acrobatics but rejected as it's just yet another random avoidance system. I think we have enough of the random avoidance with 75 block and some evasion (with grace). So I believe spending the points on additional life or even armor may be better than spending the points to reach acrobatics. These systems mitigate the hits that penetrate the random avoidance systems. There will always be some hits that make it through and we must account for that.

Will be updating the build if I see anything that needs changing after the patch. While some things I liked are being nerfed, I still think everything on the current build is useful so there may in fact be no changes - I'll wait and see.

yeah, wont spec towards acrobatics thought, but i get mine from

.. the rest will be specced into life and armor & eva nodes down @duelist starting area and the 3 nodes @duelist start.

cant wait to get home to try it out, still @work

thx for screenshots btw.
Last edited by gloobonious on Jun 6, 2013, 8:27:51 AM
Thank you for this guide! I wanted a tanky melee build and this has worked great for me. I'm currently level 69 and started doing maps yesterday and it works well. Got even better after the patch.

Due to the colors of my 5-link I'm currently using double strike, which actually does very good DPS (4000 AOE and 5500 single target when I change melee splash to another DPS gem). I don't use Tempest Shield right now though because I can't support it with my mana. I keep playing with different gem combinations and want to try and work it in. I still have 71% chance to block though so it isn't a big deal and can grab a couple more shield block nodes to max it out later.

I'm using a ton of buffs: determination, purity, grace, wrath, anger. I'm also using Enfeeble which helps with hard hitting packs. The other gems in my gear I'm just leveling. Also, shield charge comes in quite handy.

I also went with Iron Reflexes for some huge armor (sitting at just shy of 8000 armor). Granite flasks with extra armor on them push me into the 80%+ physical reduction. I also have 79% resist to cold, fire, lightning.

Here is my all self-found gear (except the shield):

Spoiler

Here are my current passives:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAecEswUtBjkMfQ6tEH8UIBjbGS4aMho4GlUdFCFgI00n7SjFKaUyCTKJNug26UA2QKBDnERyR35MNVBHUWBT31cNV-JY21nzYEthIWSjZU1mnm5pcql07XTxd-V5wHrvfNmExITZhO-PRpBVm4OeuZ7NoLSiAKcIpzCnhKmVrKqsr7T5uJO-p8APwBrBB8S4xp7SIdJN1fjZYeNq7Dju2e9O8B_zvvPd97760vuq
Last edited by Fusion33 on Jun 6, 2013, 2:54:29 PM
With Melee splash getting the 17% radius increase with the new patch (11b)....would it be worth it to get the amplify notable to even further expand it? That means more and more enemies being hit with out melee splash skills, which means more enemy deaths.
Last edited by Route1 on Jun 6, 2013, 2:38:29 PM
"
Route1 wrote:
That is still huge chance to block though.

Just did a felshrine run, you can definitely notice the increased radius of melee splash.

Yes, 74% is great, but I'll add a node when I respec (or re-roll my shield to max out Walling affix at 6) to make it maxed again. :)

I'll have to try Melee Splash again - last time I tried the radius was not too impressive and my mana leech could not keep up. I think we would have to put the melee splash in a secondary AOE skill though and also have a separate single target attack for bosses and singles.
Yeah check it out, because right now it is completely murdering mobs for me combined with infernal blow and I'm only level 30.
"
gloobonious wrote:

yeah, wont spec towards acrobatics thought, but i get mine from

.. the rest will be specced into life and armor & eva nodes down @duelist starting area and the 3 nodes @duelist start.

cant wait to get home to try it out, still @work

thx for screenshots btw.

Nice chest armor! Should be a good compliment to the build now that Acrobatics has been buffed.

I'd load up on straight armor everywhere else though (aside from the shield) to make sure you have enough.

Glad the screenshots were seen. :)
"
Fusion33 wrote:
Thank you for this guide! I wanted a tanky melee build and this has worked great for me. I'm currently level 69 and started doing maps yesterday and it works well. Got even better after the patch.

Due to the colors of my 5-link I'm currently using double strike, which actually does very good DPS (4000 AOE and 5500 single target when I change melee splash to another DPS gem). I don't use Tempest Shield right now though because I can't support it with my mana. I keep playing with different gem combinations and want to try and work it in. I still have 71% chance to block though so it isn't a big deal and can grab a couple more shield block nodes to max it out later.

I'm using a ton of buffs: determination, purity, grace, wrath, anger. I'm also using Enfeeble which helps with hard hitting packs. The other gems in my gear I'm just leveling. Also, shield charge comes in quite handy.

I also went with Iron Reflexes for some huge armor (sitting at just shy of 8000 armor). Granite flasks with extra armor on them push me into the 80%+ physical reduction. I also have 79% resist to cold, fire, lightning.

Here is my all self-found gear (except the shield)

I'm so glad the guide has been helpful to you!

Yes, I'm still 69 as well and maps are not too hard.

Your gear looks good.

Iron reflexes is a valid choice of course but I do like the 25% chance to evade. So I went with some of each on my build. :) My armor number should go up versus the current value with some changes I'll likely be making to the build.

I did test double strike and loved it (I think I mentioned it a number of pages back). However, the damage effectiveness is lower so theoretically it won't be as good as heavy strike on heavily armored foes.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jun 6, 2013, 5:10:43 PM
The guide looks very promising, especially since I like to play tanky melee builds ;)

Right now I do not have a character with this build but I think I will try one in the Anarchy league so I already thought about some melee attack gems and I have one simple question.

Has anybody here ever tried playing this build with elemental cleave as attack? Just asking because I saw you put some points into elemental damage but is it enough to really make the build attractive or are pure physical attacks with added fire damage or something like that more viable?
"
fLaxX wrote:
The guide looks very promising, especially since I like to play tanky melee builds ;)

Right now I do not have a character with this build but I think I will try one in the Anarchy league so I already thought about some melee attack gems and I have one simple question.

Has anybody here ever tried playing this build with elemental cleave as attack? Just asking because I saw you put some points into elemental damage but is it enough to really make the build attractive or are pure physical attacks with added fire damage or something like that more viable?

Thanks for posting and best wishes in Anarchy!

As to your question, I lean more toward physical damage as I believe that, with monster resistances as they are end game, that physical is better overall. That said, elemental is certainly viable. I myself used Infernal Blow while leveling up and it was fine. The elemental damage nodes were just nerfed by 20% in the 0.11 patch though so I may actually remove those from the build.

A poster by the name of azuazu several pages back was using cleave with some success..... however, I believe he later switched to cyclone (a physical attack) and liked it better.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jun 6, 2013, 7:29:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info