Is your game not detecting a dedicated graphics card?

This is still an issue, at least for me. I have tried absolutely everything under the sun and it just won't use my Nvidia Gt650m for love nor money. I've tried basically every proposed solution in this thread, even the old client.exe ones that are highly unlikely to apply anymore.

I've done all of the nvidia contrl panel stuff (changed global settings to always use nvidia, changed PoE profile to high performance etc). Of course all drivers are up to date. Messed about with just about every setting under the path of exile profile in nvinspector. The only time I've ever come across a problem like this was with Just Cause 2 and that was fixed by changing the 'Shimrendering' options in its nvinspector profile, but unfortunately no such luck in this case.

It's perplexing really as path of exile is recognised by Geforce Experience and will optimize settings for you but when you launch game it is intelhd graphics. Before someone says it I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is definitely not using the nvidia card as nvinspector shows no load and the game takes about 5 minutes to even open up the menu.

I'm fed up of trying to get it to work now and its getting late so I will see if it magically fixes itself tomorrow. Just thought I'd post here in case any of this info is helpful in finding the problem, or if anyone has another possible solution.

The only thing I haven't tried that I have seen mentioned is disabling the integrated graphics in bios, as I know my technical limits and I know that messing around in bios without any idea what you are doing = recipe for disaster. As much as I want to try out Path of Exile I'm not about to risk messing up my laptop.

It has to be in some part a problem on PoE's end, something it must do differently, as 99.99% of other games are totally fine and the only other time I've ever ran into a similar issue was with a game released before windows 8 was out. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Justboy68 on Apr 7, 2014, 9:11:49 PM
I am in the same boat as above post. Tried everything and nothing has worked. I love the game to death, however I am unable to play in groups. So I play solo and hope for a fix or work around. Solo I get "playable" framerates, in groups dips to single digits and results in unavoidable death. Have emailed support, they are VERY nice and respond very quickly. Last thing I am thinking of trying is in the .ini file to change the display adapter manually from the integrated to the dedicated one . Not sure if this would do a single thing. I too, do not wish to mess with the bios and disable anything to play a game. Fingers crossed for helpful responses. Thank you
i upgraded my gpu and psu last week... and then the new psu died yesterday. had to revert to old psu/gpu combo, and now i only get the "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices" error.

yay!

i'll probably just grab a new psu shortly and get the new gpu working again, making this only a temporary setback... unless the gpu died, too. but... yeah.

this is annoying.

edit: decided to attempt an uninstall/reinstall, to see if my issue was because of nvidia experience's (or whatever it's called) optimization settings within the game. and also to see if it would help with the horrendously long launch times the game was having.

edit 2: reinstall did not help. same error. still annoyed. haha

edit 3: hilariously found my fix by attempting to force an install/update of amd catalyst control center (i have an amd cpu, so i have vision center, instead). it ran 3/4 of the way and had some windows error, stalled, and closed.

then magically, the game loaded.

i doubt this will help anyone else, this is weirdtarded.
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
Last edited by robmafia on Apr 8, 2014, 8:37:44 AM
Quick update.... nothing has improved. Any suggestions much appreciated
I had this issue and I fixed it...but it is probably not the case for everyone here. My monitor that PoE was displayed on was plugged into my mobo... and my second monitor was into my gfx card. I just plugged them both into the gfx card and it doesn't switch back now.

I'm probably just a special case of stupidity. Good luck
I'm having the same issue, it uses integrated graphics card (Intel HD 4600) i think. I've tried some of the solutions in the thread and it won't work. I've downloaded GPU-Z to check if it uses my Nvidia 750M card and it seems to actually use it, but it feels like it don't because it lags on lowest settings, even in a two man party, is this normal? If I disable the Integrated card, the card in POE actually changes to Window Default Renderer or something like that, which sounds weird.

My graphic card should be able to handle the minimum requirements. Any solutions incoming soon? How can there not be a permanent fix for this yet? (Even if it does work, it shouldn't confuse people saying it's using the integrated card) :S
Last edited by Whyser on May 4, 2014, 4:47:26 PM
So i purchased a new laptop yesterday an believed i had this issue. In path of exile my ocmputer stated it was using the intergrated card. However it was actually using the dedicated card as i was getting ok fps.

However i was still getting periodic freezes! So i believed that i was not actually using the dedicated graphics card (an Nvidia card).

Now, and this is the important part for those who encounter freezes or hangs when playing poe. If you have an intel cpu (or i figure this should apply for any cpu) which cpu hyperthreading, disable it! It causes conflict somewhere in something which causes games to lag and freezes unnecessarily.

You can do this by entering bios and under cpu options there should be cpu hyperthreading (dont worry about disabling it, it has minimal use in any game today, games are not optimized for that number of cores).

If like me your bios did not have an option to do this there is a software method, you can open task manager and restrict the number of cores path of exile (or any game uses). Find the process (under processes in task manager for pre windows 8, or under details for windows 8) right click the process and then click set affinity. You then need to know how many cores your cpu has. 4 in my case, this means you want only cores 0,1,2,3 in use 5-7 are virtual cores and use hyperthreading.

By doing this my freezing problems were effectively solved! (i also dont freeze when enabling auras or opening smaller strongboxes in ambush).

Bear in mind this is only for if you think your dedicated card is being used yet are still encountering freezes.

Just thought i would post this here as i spend most of yesterday looking for a solution to this!

Goodluck everyone!

EDIT: This was after around 2 hours testing in game last night, however i tried this morning and im back to where i started, potentially disregard all of this. :(

Last edited by starflux on May 5, 2014, 5:15:16 AM
Thank you for the potential workaround, I have tried it as well with the same results you have encountered. For now, this game is on hold for me, simply not worth the time until (and if) they resolve the performance issues. Simply too many (for my setup) to enjoy the game. It's a shame, its really a wonderful game.
"

Now, and this is the important part for those who encounter freezes or hangs when playing poe. If you have an intel cpu (or i figure this should apply for any cpu) which cpu hyperthreading, disable it! It causes conflict somewhere in something which causes games to lag and freezes unnecessarily.

Disabling hyperthreading is not necessary and will hinder applications that exploit it.

You can achieve the same result by following these steps after you launch the game:

1) Open Task Manager
2) Go to Processes and find PoE in the list (Last time I checked it was: Client.exe)
3) Right click the process and go to Set Affinity
4) Clear every odd numbered processor. For example, if there are 4 processors (0-3) then you would clear processors 1 and 3.

The only caveat is that these steps will have to be repeated every time the game is launched.
"The problem is there ARE secure netcodes" -- Pewzor
Last edited by Emjayen on May 14, 2014, 7:26:51 PM
Hi guys! I finally got to download POE, but when I go on POE, it say's that:

"The D3D device has a non-zero reference count, meaning some objects were not released".

and,

"Failed resetting direct-3D device object".

AND,

"DXUTCeate Device Failed".

How can I/We fix this?

Or is this something we can/can't do about it?

Please List Numbers of Steps to guide us through the process if there is a way to fix and then play POE. Please!!! So I can start to play POE!!! Thank you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by:

One of your biggest fans

Thank you! <3

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info