Items On Ebay.

"
Tandimonium wrote:
"
Moist wrote:
"
Tandimonium wrote:
Tried to get the word to Reddit, but they down voted me :(

Well that shows you what kind of people use reddit lol...I personally have never been on that site,

Ouch...Honestly, you ought to check it out. A lot of good things have come from there. But as always you have the not so nice people too.

Lol. righnt in the gonads. I dont even know what reddit is? a blog? i'll go google it now.

edit: i see. its like some referenced blog thing. And there are topics from a-z. so yeh. gon get a wide range of people there. Disregard my earlier comment lol. :p
Smoother than Smooth.
Last edited by Moist on Feb 5, 2013, 7:22:16 PM
"
solistus wrote:
"
Tandimonium wrote:
Tried to get the word to Reddit, but they down voted me :(

Oh, please. You posted a direct link to this forum thread and it's sitting at +1/-1 in /new.

Couldn't you have posted this as a self post, btw? Or with a remotely descriptive title? Either of those things would have helped if your goal is to get the word out.

Well alright then, sorry forgot that Karma was such a big deal nowadays, Ill fix it.

Edit: I even down voted myself so I would not get any precious Karma.
Last edited by Tandimonium on Feb 5, 2013, 7:25:54 PM
you can't stop it, ever.
the important thing is to declare it cheating.
then not 95% do it like in d3.
I couldn't care less, if I was forced to care I would be ok with it. To me this isn't a game you win, you play for yourself and if someone can make money off it, good for him.

Edit: If you want to compete you play the races, and buying stuff on ebay probably won't help you there.
Last edited by pezit on Feb 5, 2013, 8:15:26 PM
"
pezit wrote:
I couldn't care less, if I was forced to care I would be ok with it. To me this isn't a game you win, you play for yourself and if someone can make money off it, good for him.

Edit: If you want to compete you play the races, and buying stuff on ebay probably won't help you there.

Actually PvP would be where the problem lies. Regardless, just on principle, If GGG forfeits money so that this game is not P2W, then why should anyone else make money off of it?

Being able to buy items is going to kill the in game market. People with money will be able to buy a lump sum of currency and then overpay on everything, stopping people like me and you from being able to win bids on items because we have to find the shit ourselves.

Also, if people start buying currency and overpaying on items to get them, then the prices of everything go up, and the value of currency goes down. I do not want to be bidding on an item and have some dude with too much money on his hands to outbid me so bad I have no chance of getting the item. Someone who can afford to buy the currency doesn't really care how much they spend because to them, the in game currency is not hard to come by, they can just go buy some more.

So, again, Selling items for real world money will destroy the in game economy and make the game harder on those who play it legit.
"
Quentym wrote:
you can't stop it, ever.
the important thing is to declare it cheating.
then not 95% do it like in d3.

I stopped about 8 sales today. Infact, every one of them on ebay today were removed.

We can stop the majority of it, and with GGG going after copyright infringement, they can get the people we can't.

As I said before, we won't be able to stop all of it, but we can damn sure make it hard on the sellers.
All these things are just symptoms of the root cause.
The real problem with this comes down to one thing:

People are idiots.

It all happened when some moron decided that a bunch of pixels within a game were worth more than the entire game many times over.

This happened back in Diablo 2, when, for example a single sword sold on eBay for over $700.

At that time, we were doomed.

Go find those people who actually cough up $250, $500, or even $7500 (I know, but it happened!) for a collection of pixels, smack them across the back of their head, and say to them:

“Thanks moron, without people like you, this might be an enjoyable game”

You may counter with:
"people are able to spend their money on whatever they want"

True, but that doesn't change the fact that their decisions have the potential to ruin this game.

However you slice it, it takes a devastating lack of life-priorities to spend a large sum of money on a virtual commodity totally contained within the confines of another commodity that cost far less. An item explicitly stated as never actually belonging to you, to which you have no rights, except as grudgingly granted by the game publishers.
IGN: Kulde
"
Yxalitis wrote:
All these things are just symptoms of the root cause.
The real problem with this comes down to one thing:

People are idiots.

It all happened when some moron decided that a bunch of pixels within a game were worth more than the entire game many times over.

This happened back in Diablo 2, when, for example a single sword sold on eBay for over $700.

At that time, we were doomed.

Go find those people who actually cough up $250, $500, or even $7500 (I know, but it happened!) for a collection of pixels, smack them across the back of their head, and say to them:

“Thanks moron, without people like you, this might be an enjoyable game”

You may counter with:
"people are able to spend their money on whatever they want"

True, but that doesn't change the fact that their decisions have the potential to ruin this game.

However you slice it, it takes a devastating lack of life-priorities to spend a large sum of money on a virtual commodity totally contained within the confines of another commodity that cost far less. An item explicitly stated as never actually belonging to you, to which you have no rights, except as grudgingly granted by the game publishers.

Well said!
"
Tandimonium wrote:
"
pezit wrote:

Actually PvP would be where the problem lies. Regardless, just on principle, If GGG forfeits money so that this game is not P2W, then why should anyone else make money off of it?

Being able to buy items is going to kill the in game market. People with money will be able to buy a lump sum of currency and then overpay on everything, stopping people like me and you from being able to win bids on items because we have to find the shit ourselves.

Also, if people start buying currency and overpaying on items to get them, then the prices of everything go up, and the value of currency goes down. I do not want to be bidding on an item and have some dude with too much money on his hands to outbid me so bad I have no chance of getting the item. Someone who can afford to buy the currency doesn't really care how much they spend because to them, the in game currency is not hard to come by, they can just go buy some more.

So, again, Selling items for real world money will destroy the in game economy and make the game harder on those who play it legit.

I think you're exaggerating on how much it will impact the in game market. The currency they buy is already in the game, it's not like they're duping.

I think the real impact is that extremely strong/perfect items will be sold on ebay instead of in the trade chat, which I agree kinda sucks.
"
pezit wrote:

I think you're exaggerating on how much it will impact the in game market. The currency they buy is already in the game, it's not like they're duping.

I think the real impact is that extremely strong/perfect items will be sold on ebay instead of in the trade chat, which I agree kinda sucks.

What I said was exactly what happened in games like D2. Duped or not, it will negatively affect the game. If it is not fought from the beginning, it will get out of control. Granted, it may get out of control anyways, but why not do what we can to keep the game the way it was supposed to be?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info