[3.0] NeverSink's ♣ INDEPTH Tornado&Archer Guide ♣ Beginner friendly ♣ Rapid clear ♣ All bosses

Mortal I was wondering if you could give me some gearing tips. Below is what I'm using right now.

Right now Im not fire/light capped, and my life is only 3.2k. Damage wise I think I'm doing alright, as Im about 14.6 tornado & 27.7 Puncture. But I feel pretty squishy.

Reflect primarily wrecks me.

I've tried going four reds on boots or gloves with no luck atm, and I'm having bad luck crafting rings (old style craft, new to masters, working on them now)

What items would best be worked on and what stats should I look for in those new slots?

Thanks
Prylos // RoA Marauder 89+

My godly belt collection - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/334226
Mapping Discussion - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/361880/page/1
This build is great. DPS is awesome, survivability is quite good. I have 103 skill points allocated according to your guide but I only have 3544 hp, how do you get 4-4.5k?

Here's my gear
Spoiler

Also would it be better to run PCOC instead of ICD? Seems like even with only 3 power charges, PCOC would give a hell of a lot more damage.
Last edited by mwmorph on Sep 17, 2014, 3:15:34 PM
"
mwmorph wrote:
This build is great. DPS is awesome, survivability is quite good. I have 103 skill points allocated according to your guide but I only have 3544 hp, how do you get 4-4.5k?

Here's my gear
Spoiler

Also would it be better to run PCOC instead of ICD? Seems like even with only 3 power charges, PCOC would give a hell of a lot more damage.

The obvious is that cold ring, which you should look for an upgrade with 70+ life on it.

You would have to try both combos to see which is better. I personally would drop Faster attacks before the crit multi, but it may just be personal preference and mana management.

Best way to test ICD vs PCoC is to do a couple map clears and see which one yielded the fastest times.
IGN: Grave_Intentions
$$$ Grave Intentions Flame Totem MFarmer: I'm Cheap 'n' Easy $$$
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/979802
If I'm doing the math right it 70 hp on a ring would give me 3732hp from the 3544hp i have now and I need the 56int to get exactly 108 int (my char at base intel can barely read). Maybe I have to get a different amulet and ring? It's hard to find leech + all those resists though, the amulet is a huge part of my resists.
Last edited by mwmorph on Sep 17, 2014, 3:19:33 PM
Killed my very first atziri today at level 85, was damn intense, but totally worth it and got a piece of equiptment I need for the build from it!

She is proud!

Last edited by LostBearz on Sep 17, 2014, 3:26:31 PM
"
Okanitu wrote:
Mortal I was wondering if you could give me some gearing tips. Below is what I'm using right now.

Right now Im not fire/light capped, and my life is only 3.2k. Damage wise I think I'm doing alright, as Im about 14.6 tornado & 27.7 Puncture. But I feel pretty squishy.

I've tried going four reds on boots or gloves with no luck atm, and I'm having bad luck crafting rings (old style craft, new to masters, working on them now)

What items would best be worked on and what stats should I look for in those new slots?

Thanks

1. Get rid of Lioneye's Glare. Its DPS may seem amazing, but you became so vulnerable to reflect (=lose tons of survivability), that it isnt worth it. Buy (or craft) a decent Harbinger, that's the way you have to play this build.

2. Four reds on non-str gear is usually a waste of chromatics :). Str-eva piece may do the job, though i cant imagine a proper unique, that fits the build (except MF ones). On non-str you better get 1000+ chromatics or so to waste :)

3. Capped elemental resists are imperative! Get rid of some non-resist unique you use, but GET THOSE GODDAMNED RESISTS CAPPED! You may even want to drop Herald of Ice (and Herald of Fire too, probably) for some kind of Purity aura (depends on your needs).

Cheers.

P.S. I am an experienced player, bu most of my time i played with CI dagger shadow. I've started to play evasion crit bow build just recently, so i may miss some points, correct me if i wrong.

"

It wont. Especially with uniques like Rat's Nest. And remember, that power charges are temporary (after a fewseconds they're lost, and you can get bad luck at PCoC procs easily), while ICD is permanent.

2 OP:

It seems, that a Diamond Flask is a perfect shot-term DPS boost for this build - when used, it can provide additional +24% chance to crit, if your total crit chance is 40-60% (as it should be within those bounds). Atziri's Promize can be used more often, gives some leech, but Diamond Flask can also be useful.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Sep 17, 2014, 4:03:23 PM
Hats off to Neversink-this really is a well thought out and written guide. Following it and making my ranger has been the most fun ingame that I have had. I like the fact that it is a "living guide" and as new ideas develop they are incorporated into the guide. The other thing I would like to thank him for, is his willingness to answer a question or give some advise. He really is topnotch.

Thanks,

Rob
I spent my day working for a big presentation for a fat conference tomorrow, so my head is splitting, so short answers only today:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"
Thank you for feedback too.

Another few questions there:
1. Is Herald of Ice worth using at all? I actually find it being a very small damage boost, isnt it better to link Herald of Ash to Elemental Proliferation and Increased Burning Damage. And that's more free mana left.
2. Do you think "Revenge of the hunted" notable worth 5 points invested? That's actually 12% damage, 12% life and 38% evasion, but you could get 25% life from Scion cluster instead, for example, or Heavy Draw (+69% damage) and 5% life (i think realistically - build should be finished at no more than 110 skillpoints, better - at 105).
3. Is Ranged Attack Totem worth using?

A few hints to improve your guide:
1. Because you use evasion to counter reflect, there is a certain accuracy/evasion ratio you can have to maintain 95% chance to evade your own projectiles (reflect). Increasing accuracy/evasion higher may have unwanted drawbacks because of reflect.
A link to accuracy formula (so you can make the math) - http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Accuracy

2. Evasion not only allows you (and your enemies!) to avoid attacks completely, but to avoid critical strikes as well (if attack hits) - the another independent accuracy roll is made in such a case, and if it fails, then "would-be critical strike" is downgraded to a normal hit.
Source - http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Evasion
The good new are - even if you hit yourself (due to reflect), your attack will most probbly be downgraded to a normal hit (which doesnt really hurt). The bad news are - if you have too low accuracy, your "real" critical chance will be drastically reduced due to "double dibs".

This information on accuracy is amazing. Thank you. I'm currently reworking parts of the build. No huge changes, but might be changing it a little bit. I'll be running some calculations on accuracy efficiency.

Other things:

1) I tried running a Herald of ash - ele prolif - burning damage - reduced mana link yesterday.
Short answer: It's funny, but bad. Needs a own item to be run, effects are limited with tornado shot, high but useless with puncture. While targets die fast to puncture HoA, they still stay alive for a little bit, you can just as well fire a tornado shot and have the same effect. Also it decreases practical DPS, takes more gems and decreases your freeze rate/time considerably, I don't recommend it.
2) It's not bad, but currently I'm looking at options to rework the build and create a few "subbuilds" focused on different playstyles. I still think revenge of the hunted is one of the best nodes if you don't plan to get the pierce cluster.
3) I tried using a 20/20 ranged attack totem. Same as HoA cluster. It's fun to watch, but most of the time you can do the same thing, better, with less time. Also it costs a lot of mana.

"
Mana per kill / hit is better than maximum mana and mana regen rate?

Thanks.

Both mana kill/hit is a bit unreliable. They are not bad for leveling, but I recommend manaleech endgame. Only exceptions I can think of are the Uber-Atziri unique chest (100 mana/kill is pretty reliable) and thief's torment+infractem. I'm not too amazed by revelry by the way.

"
Should I get avatar of the hunt for extra damage ?

No, if you want extra damage, go for accuracy/crit or accuracy/attack speed nodes or worst case master fletcher.

"
I'm not an experienced player and I'm trying this build in Beyond league. What tweaks exactly should I make to this build to lessen my chances of dying?

I know it says in the OP that grace is unnecessary, but is it viable if you're playing hardcore? I checked Mathil's and ZiggyD's guides and they both use grace, so I'm unsure.

You can run grace. If you run grace I also recommend running alphas howl and queen of the forest. Alternatively you can attempt to utilize lightning coil.

Buildwise prioritize life over damage.

"
Also a tip for leveling:

*life on hit gem here*

Get this gem as fast as possible (Ranger doesnt get it for quest, so either buy it or start a maradeur/duelist and push yourself to Caverns (they get it as 1-st support gem).
It will save your butt in countless cases.

I'll add the life on hit gem for tornado shot, it's really a decent choice.

"
Okanitu wrote:

Thanks

1) Lionseye is a great weapon, but very very risky, because you lose all your evasion as reflect protection. Consider swapping for a harbinger
2) While your amulet is sick, you have nearly 0 life from all your jewelry. Try replacing the rings at least
3) Better get 1-2 int nodes from the tree, but replace that sad 3-stat ring for something with life and resistances.

"

No. Only in a 6link instead of pierce if I'm NOT using drillneck. Maybe.
I like dropping assassins mark every second pack. I still get the charges and assassins mark is actually a more damage multiplier, which makes casting it very worth it. 20/20 assassins mark also gives 40%+ chance for power charges, which is pretty reliable.

Spoiler
Killed my very first atziri today at level 85, was damn intense, but totally worth it and got a piece of equiptment I need for the build from it!

She is proud!

Gz!

"
Hats off to Neversink-this really is a well thought out and written guide. Following it and making my ranger has been the most fun ingame that I have had. I like the fact that it is a "living guide" and as new ideas develop they are incorporated into the guide. The other thing I would like to thank him for, is his willingness to answer a question or give some advise. He really is topnotch.

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks.

"
It seems, that a Diamond Flask is a perfect shot-term DPS boost for this build - when used, it can provide additional +24% chance to crit, if your total crit chance is 40-60% (as it should be within those bounds). Atziri's Promize can be used more often, gives some leech, but Diamond Flask can also be useful.

Tried them, they are awesome. Sadly take way too long to refill. Also actually increase the chances of you dying to reflect, while Promises decreases it.

All things considered I prefer promise, but diamond is not the worst choice.

-----------------------

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I hope I didn't forget anyone. I'll update this guide again to a new version, by the end of the week. I have some small changes in mind, largely influenced by the comments and some other facts.

Sleep times now.
Please don't PM me ingame with filter/guide questions, post them on the forum, after reading the FAQ.
Last edited by NeverSink on Sep 17, 2014, 4:08:54 PM
Is WindRipper any good for this build? Or does the damage need to be physical to be truly effective?
Prylos // RoA Marauder 89+

My godly belt collection - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/334226
Mapping Discussion - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/361880/page/1
"
Okanitu wrote:
Is WindRipper any good for this build? Or does the damage need to be physical to be truly effective?

It's not very good. Elemental damage is just the icing on the cake with this build. The core damage is all physical and the elemental damage just scales off of that physical damage. Windripper just doesn't have enough physical damage to displace a Harbinger/Decimation, Infractem, or even a Death's Harp (which is amazing for leveling with the +1 projectile).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info