[1.2.0] Dreamfeather: Post-Mortem

"
pneuma wrote:
"
Boem wrote:
There is no way you can make up "doubling the unique buff" with a shield, even with a 2400 evasion shield and shield%defense clusters, you will still not have enough evasion gained to outweigh the double wielding variant. Which is a shame imo.

It's not like you get nothing other than +eva from a shield.
Block chance, resists, and life are all super valuable even at the cost of some dps.

Overall though, yeah, the dps cost is a bit too high.
I'm not certain a solo-DF+shield would be able to cut the mustard in mid-high maps.

So, what would be the dps if one would use it with a shield?
"
pneuma wrote:
"
Boem wrote:
There is no way you can make up "doubling the unique buff" with a shield, even with a 2400 evasion shield and shield%defense clusters, you will still not have enough evasion gained to outweigh the double wielding variant. Which is a shame imo.

It's not like you get nothing other than +eva from a shield.
Block chance, resists, and life are all super valuable even at the cost of some dps.

Overall though, yeah, the dps cost is a bit too high.
I'm not certain a solo-DF+shield would be able to cut the mustard in mid-high maps.

The point is, you can cover these on other pieces and dps = ehp in this game.

If your putting yourself in danger 2x longer the chances of dying are extremely high compared to reducing 1/2. This also adds up with entropy and how evasion/acro works. If your finishing mobs of before your entropy is breached, your gonna have a chill fight. But if your increasing the duration your actually reducing the efficiency of your evasion, no mater how high you push it.

@dirk i used it for a ele spectral throw and it reached like 8 or 9K with non maxed gems.

I swapped it for a 2.as/9CC ambusher and my dps fired up to 15K or so.

The only way i see it to be possible is with reave/WeD/conc effect/multistrike and stacking more multipliers because you get an AOE tag.

But even then, dual wield will triumph again(logically).

The benefits of a shield are outclassed by doubling DF inherent unique modifier. That is if you can make up the life/resist on all other pieces.

But if you consider that DF doubles your ele damage% you can easily take a bit less in the passive tree and relocate to evasion/hp to make up for the shield loss.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

A Very interesting and compelling post , it's inspiring me to use the build you also posted ( which led me here ofc :)

top stuff , would evade again :)
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett :'(
Wow, this blew up more than I had expected. Thank you Tempada!

"
Tempada wrote:
"
Lyralei wrote:
I'm not going to elaborate on what may or may not come out in the future but you should understand that I generally know things you probably don't well ahead of time and this sword was designed with those factors in mind.

Did these "factors" already come to light?

Apologies if this is late. I've been away from the forums.

Yes and no because when in-design, we have to consider "design space". In the same vein, we cannot have any more reduced maximum life % on uniques because if we went over a total of -100%, then a player's character would just..die forever. I think I might or might not have mentioned that in the post-mortem.

Nick did also mention that the evasion conversion was just one piece of the puzzle which is correct.

We (Nick and I) designed this sword to be a build-enabler that could be replaced by a rare equivalent. Sure, if you look at DPS as the sole metric for a build's effectiveness, then Dreamfeather is possibly lacklustre but then no other build grants you the ability nor the "want" to stack evasion through the roof and that in itself is unique.

As a side note, I play with some of the developers a lot and I learnt that some of the design rejections that I had put out were partially due to engine constraints whereby things just aren't possible without refractoring a huge portion of the game engine.

P.S: Taste of Hate.
From today's Awakening update:

Dreamfeather
Added Local Physical Damage Mod increased, now is 20-40 to 55-70.

Yus! :D
"
Boss_Crab wrote:
From today's Awakening update:

Dreamfeather
Added Local Physical Damage Mod increased, now is 20-40 to 55-70.

Yus! :D

I'm not sure how GGG handled the release if some uniques were auto changed but I think my girlfriend ended up with two broken dreamfeathers.

We bought them a couple weeks ago with 1.95 and 1.97 aps if I recall correctly. Tonight we are in the act of fixing her character post-patch and just realized that her dreamfeathers have 1.86 aps! As far as I am aware that was not possible either pre or post patch. Not sure if we have some screwed up 2 of a kinds or not. Hesitant to divine.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
Base attack speed of weapons have changed , that's why.
"
Yesu wrote:

If that happened I never saw any acknowledgement of it. If the wiki is up to date, no patch notes said the attack speed was changed just the physical roll. Eternal swords should still have the same base attack speed as far as I saw.

Am I forgetting something obvious?
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
As Yesu said, it's the base item that was changed. If you pick up an Eternal Sword and compare it to the outdated Wiki, you'll be able to see the difference.
"
"
Yesu wrote:

If that happened I never saw any acknowledgement of it. If the wiki is up to date, no patch notes said the attack speed was changed just the physical roll. Eternal swords should still have the same base attack speed as far as I saw.

Am I forgetting something obvious?

They lowered the BAS to 1.5 from 1.6. All high attack speed weapons got this treatment.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info