[1.2.0] Dreamfeather: Post-Mortem

Here a link to the podcast via youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLuZoZ768VA

DF and QotF was mentioned at around 6:05. I do suggest though to watch the podcast from the beginning. You can get a feel on how GGG do their work.

At 24:00, Camouflage Predator was mentioned. Hmmmm, so it was a mod from Nemesis? Can anyone expound on this? (stared PoE just back in late ambush).

excerpt from the OP:
"
Lyralei wrote:
Design Continued
Okay. New designer. This time Rory handed me over to Nick.

Nick!

PS: he made P-Link.
PoE-TradeMacro - https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro/
ExileTrade - http://exiletrade.github.io/
Hey Lyralei! I love the unique you designed even though things didn't work out exactly the way you wanted. I want to make a build with a Dreamfeather SO BAD but I never start the process until I learn everything there is to know about the item. So the thing that bugs me the most is that I cannot for the life of me figure out at which point does the 1% attack damage apply and does dual wielding them make that 2% per 450 evasion. Ideally scenario would be that the 1% attack damage actually affected the base damage of the item just like %phys damage does on rare weapons but by looking at ChannelMerge's post that doesn't seem to be the case.

Nick_GGG pointed out on the state of exile episode 25 that stacking evasion is only part of the puzzle for this weapon. So far people only made decent elemental builds with Dreamfeathers so there must be something more to it because going elemental in this game is not that much of a puzzle.

I want to try making a phys damage build with it due to its very high flat phys mod. I've thought of dual wielding it with a Prismatic Eclipse sword because of its mod that gives "25% increased phys damage WITH weapons per red socket" and that mod is global, BUT once again I don't know if that 75% increased phys damage with 3 red sockets will affect the base damage of Dreamfeather.

Cheers!

More love for Lyralei: Build of the Week.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Great BotW.

I had a clanny make a dual-Dreamfeather/QotF build back in 1.2 when DF was introduced and it looked like a lot of fun. Ran circles around everyone due to the massive movespeed and killed things okay (granted, partying as melee is always rough trying to keep up with the wave of death-by-ranged-characters).

It's a strictly less damage version of the "standard" ele cleave (taking almost exactly the same path, just with rapiers and a few more points around Shadow, noticeably crit), but has that cool defense -> offense vibe and evasion focus. As a build, it's a really good example of flavor/theme over pure numbers.

Only big complaint is that it doesn't start on its own until L66 because of the super-high level req on the weapon (and L59 on the chest) and the game is nearly done by then. Makes me wish the sword was lower level with a stronger eva->offense boost so that it could start sooner and be built even more around its theme.

I never got around to making it myself since it's too similar to other elecleavers I've played, but yeah, good BotW, good unique. Might be fun to just run Reave instead of Cleave and get a massive +eva shield...
i tested it pneuma i think the main powwer of this builds comes from doubling the inherent dreamfeather buff. Maybe if you go massive %defense shield nodes.

It's a cool weapon, but really it needs a revisit imo.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Good to see this item making it to build of the week. However I have to emphasize that despite being build of the week the DPS is only 24K? Even a BOR aegis aurora build which is cheaper and much more defensive has better DPS than this. I highly suspect this build of week might wake up GGG's idea that it is safe to buff this unique item.
"
Deadpeng wrote:
Good to see this item making it to build of the week. However I have to emphasize that despite being build of the week the DPS is only 24K?

Where did that number come from? 24k tooltip dps sounds about right in a 4L with leveled/qual gems. You can get over 30k dps in a 5L and over 40k in a 6L. I have over 48k dps in a 6L (actual dps should be higher if you factor in shock and nodes like Celestial Judgment and Celestial Punishment), but I also have very good gear.

As is, the unique is very limited. I'd love for a buff so it can be worthwhile with shields.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
"
Tempada wrote:
"
Deadpeng wrote:
Good to see this item making it to build of the week. However I have to emphasize that despite being build of the week the DPS is only 24K?

Where did that number come from? 24k tooltip dps sounds about right in a 4L with leveled/qual gems. You can get over 30k dps in a 5L and over 40k in a 6L. I have over 48k dps in a 6L (actual dps should be higher if you factor in shock and nodes like Celestial Judgment and Celestial Punishment), but I also have very good gear.

As is, the unique is very limited. I'd love for a buff so it can be worthwhile with shields.

Oops. I was reading your very first post under the comments under your own build. Then I just realized you have the DPS written there under the build now. Now that is one end game viable build you got out there.
The whole problem with this unique design actually comes from the fact you can dual wield them imo.

If it is strong with 1h/shield, then clearly it will be OP with dual wield. So there is not much room to balance right.

Only if it had a unique modifier saying "cannot be dual wielded" then it could be looked at and buffed, but in it's current state it simply cannot.

There is no way you can make up "doubling the unique buff" with a shield, even with a 2400 evasion shield and shield%defense clusters, you will still not have enough evasion gained to outweigh the double wielding variant. Which is a shame imo.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
There is no way you can make up "doubling the unique buff" with a shield, even with a 2400 evasion shield and shield%defense clusters, you will still not have enough evasion gained to outweigh the double wielding variant. Which is a shame imo.

It's not like you get nothing other than +eva from a shield.
Block chance, resists, and life are all super valuable even at the cost of some dps.

Overall though, yeah, the dps cost is a bit too high.
I'm not certain a solo-DF+shield would be able to cut the mustard in mid-high maps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info