Herald of Ice

"
Jennik wrote:
I've been running this linked with Cold Pen and Increased AOE + 40% AOE from tree in a non-crit freeze proliferate build (300-350% or so increased cold/spell/elemental damage). The Herald's definitely strong, but my screen freezes for a second or two whenever I take out a big group. The boosted Herald means that everything dies as soon as one thing dies, and all the AOE increase means that my screen is completely covered by dozens of huge, swirly explosions.

I guess this is just another request for some graphic options in the game, since I don't expect the effect to be toned down on Herald. It certainly looks cool. I just don't like that my freeze build which would normally be super safe in HC is now pretty much guaranteed to kill me due to constantly freezing my screen in addition to the bad guys.

I'm experiencing the same problem with HoI - massive FPS drop when it triggers. I'm currently running vanilla EK caster build and use HoI to add some plain damage to EK - the explosion effect has little to no improvement to my damage since EK kills all enemies simultaneously in most cases.

The problem lies in that, most cases of freezing are resulted from critical strikes, and most critical strikes brings various other visual effects like burning and shocking simultaneously aside from freezing of its own. Criticals make FPS drop when there was no HoI - and now there is a new burden added to the "camel" - my poor video card to undertake.
Two-handed - Mop
Dual Wield - Slippers
One-handed & Shield (close combat) - Brush & Basin
One-handed & Shield (ranged) - Hair Dryer & Mirror
Main-hand & Off-hand (evil witch) - Sponge & Soap
"
leighferon wrote:
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
I think if you shatter a mob you can't explode it.

shatter is a form of culling--so if a mob shatters its incapable of exploding unless generosity and herald of ice would work with minions...which it does not. since herald of ice is not an aura minions cannot receive the benefit of the skill. the shatter mechanic and the minion instability mechanic happen at different times. even if minions were capable of using minion instability and herald of ice---one or the other would not happen because of when the 2 occur is at different times.

Did you try combining HoI and Quecholli?
I did. And it seems to work quite well. I hit enemies with Glacial Hammer (without Melee Splash) and if they shatter I can observe both the HoI on-kill effect as well as the corpse explosion from Quecholli. Also trash mobs seemed to occasionally die from full health when around the one just killed. (Which can't be from Quecholli as it only deals 10% of the mob's HP and I don't have any increased fire/elemental damage)
I could also observe chilled monsters in the vicinity - although I'm not quite sure whether that could also be the added cold from HoI applied to the Quecholli explosion...

And regarding the earlier-discussed combination of HoI and PCoC. I was not able to create any power charges with that combination... :(
Crit happens.
A question, would a life leech gem work with HoI? Leeching from the ice explosion that is.
I think that should work.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
Compared to herald of thunder... the shatter explosion is terribly weak. Especially when freezes are much harder to trigger than shocks.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
I'm using cold snap with a trap support. Does this skill still work when the skill that caused the shatter was a trap? I'm pretty sure I can see the animation when self casting a spell, but it is hard to tell.
Traps do not have the Herald of Ice Buff -> they don't get the on-Kill bonus.
(the +Damage bonus applies directly to the Skill that lays a Trap, so that does work)
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Traps do not have the Herald of Ice Buff -> they don't get the on-Kill bonus.
(the +Damage bonus applies directly to the Skill that lays a Trap, so that does work)

Thanks for the quick reply!
At least its one more aura I don't have to run now.
Also Awwwwwww D;
If I use HoI with a none cold damage spell like arc. If arc crits and applies shock, will the damage from HoI on my Arc cast crit as well and possibly freeze the enemy?
IGN: AuraMeThis
Did before it was cool:
Searing Bond Quad Curse
Consuming Dark/Bino's ED/Contagion
No, Skills use their own Crit Chance, as always. Herald will roll against its own Crit Chance (of 0%) when triggered.
Herald's +Cold Damage is simply part of Arc, same as with all other sources of +Damage. Your Arc deals Cold and Lightning Damage, because you have Herald of Ice active.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Dec 9, 2014, 8:21:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info