Lag/Desync ingame (+Trace)

"
Startkabels wrote:
First of all Ionface suggested to connect directly to your modem, bypassing your router, to check if the lag is related to the router.

Secondly it seems you did not let WinMTR run very long like I asked (1 minute) and you didnt seem to have caught any severe lag spike at all. It looks clean...

I missed that he suggested that, but it doesn't change anything because my router is actually my modem too, it's both in one.

WinMTR ran for about 1 minute as you asked for. Sent/Recv increased by 1/sec, so it wasn't that hard to get the time. I was having desync while this, even though it wasn't as bad as it was several times the last days.
As I mentioned I'll do another trace when I have more lags again.
Lag and desync are un-related mostly... and what you MEANT to say was that you have network latency and desync (please don't use "lag" as it is too general of a term and can mean multiple things depending on context or lack thereof).

For information on desync, you should read the Developer Manifesto on Client/Server synchronization. It's a really good article by Chris about what desync is, why it is required, and what they are trying to do about it. For the most part, desync is almost completely a "playstyle" issue. Certain skills, and playstyles are more prone to desync than others (which again is completely separate from network latency).

Melee movement abilities is by far the most common cause of desync and "teleporting". It's not the ONLY cause, but it is by far the largest and most prevalent. This is because people don't use "Shift+Click" to attack using those skills which performs different actions on the client than it does on the Server in a lot of cases. The whole reason desync even exists is because the server is doing one thing, and the client is attempting to "simulate" the same thing at the same time, but doesn't always simulate it properly. This is where they get out of sync and you experience desync/teleporting, etc.

Network latency on the other hand would show up in the F1 "latency" chart as a high spike. If you aren't seeing spikes, then you aren't getting latency. But we'd need to know what those readings were in the F1 chart as well as a corresponding WinMTR trace capturing at the same time.. then we can correlate the data and see if it is related to network activity or a PC bottleneck (which is another common cause of latency).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info