Lightning in 1.2

I hate the change. I liked that lightning was so different from cold and fire due to the shock stack mechanics and highly variable damage. Back when I first started playing you could go up to 5 shock stacks. Boo to uniformity!
When I kill a man he stays dead.
lets see if lightning strike gets some love.. im still using this build for ages and it never let me down or was nerfed to death.
"
mucker wrote:
I hate the change. I liked that lightning was so different from cold and fire due to the shock stack mechanics and highly variable damage. Back when I first started playing you could go up to 5 shock stacks. Boo to uniformity!

Said no HC player ever.
I think that arc won't be touched (directly, the shock stack "nerf" will affect it more than most because of arcs innate shocking chance) and the rest of the lightning spells will be buffed up.

Imo this is something they realized they had to do if they were to buff up lightning skills, the utility of shock stacks was just too powerful compared to other statuses. Sure ignite is in a good place, but that might just be because of det dead and flameblast to a lesser extent and not so much because of ignite itself.

Who really knows though till we try it.
Last edited by Splift on Aug 11, 2014, 7:28:36 PM
This really isn't much of a nerf, it's more of a sideways change. I mean, what actually lived long enough to get 3 shocks? Now, it's a 50% more bonus, that happens on the first shock whereas it only would have had 30 before.
My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
I agree on the sideways change , hitting harder vs faster will be prefered a bit more now . This means it's still going to be very strong once you get your skills scaled up and 20/20 gems that get more shock chance.

Probley will nurf it a bit in feel till it gets the hit's large enoughf to kill stuff in only 2 hits .then it will probley feel the same.
Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
Spark better get some love again because holy shit its so terrible at the moment, I can't imagine how bad it's going to be without buffs AND shock nerfed again.
vaal or no balls
On the one hand, this should mean better lit skill balance (assuming most lit skills get a base damage buff) and less combat randomness. On the other hand, shock goes from being a somewhat interesting mechanic to that generic "takes 50ish% more damage" status ailment that almost every arpg/mmo has. Seems like somehow balancing the stacking would be better for build and gameplay diversity than outright removing it.

Itd be nice if whatever the final lit skill changes are allowed some of the main attack type lightning spells to have better than 4% crit chance again too, such as low damage per individual hit skills like spark, since theyll no longer have the ability to quickly apply a triple stack to counter their inability to land shocks against tougher monsters in the first place.
IGN: KoTao
Might make Hyaon's Fury viable. Planing a build around it. Especially if the shadow tree turns out the way I think it would (probably 1 in a million chance to happen - but hey, there's always hope).
Last edited by Wulfstan11 on Aug 12, 2014, 3:42:44 AM
"
KoTao wrote:
On the one hand, this should mean better lit skill balance (assuming most lit skills get a base damage buff) and less combat randomness. On the other hand, shock goes from being a somewhat interesting mechanic to that generic "takes 50ish% more damage" status ailment that almost every arpg/mmo has. Seems like somehow balancing the stacking would be better for build and gameplay diversity than outright removing it.

Itd be nice if whatever the final lit skill changes are allowed some of the main attack type lightning spells to have better than 4% crit chance again too, such as low damage per individual hit skills like spark, since theyll no longer have the ability to quickly apply a triple stack to counter their inability to land shocks against tougher monsters in the first place.
Keep in mind that "balancing" the emchanic only really puts it in the same position as other aRPGs anyway, with an extra couple hoops to jump through.

If shocking meant something other than taking mroe damage then it would stand out mechanically.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info