Manual Righteous Discharger

First off: if there is a build out there i missed that is similar to (and older than) this one, feel free to let me know and I will link it. I haven't seen any and I haven't based this build on any recent builds I've seen.
If you want to see some other discharge builds, have a look at
Hyperbear's Discharge Compendium

1) Premise of the build
Spoiler
I've always wanted to play a Discharge character, but the current CoC meta just seems plain wrong to me, in my opinion it doesn't capture the true nature of discharge, not in the way this build does anyway.
So I wanted a discharge build that deals a lot of damage in one burst, but it also has to be kind of viable to get to endgame. One of the builds that came to mind immediately was Kripperians Discharger', but I don't enjoy playing other peoples builds that much, so to make it my own I had to change it up a little.
So I threw in some extra maximum fire resist and and some life regen, which results in 60% MORE spell damage and some good single target damage, aka Righteous fire.

It might be worth mentioning that my entire gear cost me somewhere around 5-6 exalted orbs in the 1 Month Softcore League

GamePlay Videos
Spoiler
My Pc isn't that top end, so the resolution is far too low :( But as requested
Torture Chamber - Torture Chamber + boss kill [I started doing this map at high resolution but only about half of the frames saved, causing a bad video and thus the first half couldnt be uploaded]
Palace - Bad RNG palace I don't kill dominus, this build is weak against dominus, other bosses are mostly fine. You can do it if you don't run RF, but that is slow and boring. RNGesus also decided to give me an empty map :(
Courtyard - Double Boss - Haste
Shipyard - Shipyard Demons Frenzy Charges Power Charges
Some higher levels will come sometime

2) The damage
Spoiler

As you can see in that pretty picture up top, at the writing of this guide I discharge with a maximum of 15 charges, resulting in a little over 23k tooltip damage, as you can see below.
It doesn't seem so high, but it is sufficient to kill any white or magic pack in one go, if they aren't heavily fire resist, not always by initial impact but then the burn gets them.
Of course if I crit (40% chance) everything just dies. If it doesn't its triple shock stacked, frozen and burning for a helluvalota damage.

3) The defence
Spoiler
The build doesn't have a lot of armor or evasion, but who needs raw stats when you have 8 endurance charges? 59% physical damage reduction can rival a lot of high armor builds
90% base fire resist speaks for itself as a defensive stat, with a fire pot this becomes 100 %, aka immunity to fire damage
78% cold resist and 82% lightning resist do not grant immunity, but they do help.
And to top it all off there is a 794.8 health regen per second (lets call it 800 shall we), which is equal to 15.5% of my total health.
5144 health is not much, but it does the job.
These are however all generic defence stats, not bad, but nothing special. What makes this build much tankier than others is the following:

For people unfamiliar with that buff, its immortal call, makes you invulnerable to physical damage, in my case for 10 seconds. This could be quite a bit more but I'm poor and lazy so I didn't get myself quality gems yet. By my calculations you can buff that up to a total of 15-16 seconds, which is quite insane.
If between the phys invulnerability, the fire invulnerability, the 800 health per second you still go low you can just use one of your health potions and heal up that way.

4) The Items and Links
Spoiler
There is one mandatory item in order to run Righteous fire:

its quite expensive at 3 Exalted orbs, but not unattainable.
You can discharge without this shield just fine, but the spell damage buff is very nice to have.

"
Enduring cry - Spell echo - Increased Area of Effect

Increased AoE isn't mandatory but it is nice to have

You put the damage in a sceptre>dagger>wand such as this

in order of importance
+2 to level of cold(/fire/lightning) gems
+[64] % spell damage
+[104] % crit chance for spells

"
Discharge - Elemental proliferation - chance to ignite

Discharge and ele prolif are mandatory, chance to ignite can be replaced with crit chance, crit damage or conc effect depending on your personal preference. Chance to ignite is nice because even if you don't crit you will still kill packs in one discharge

Basic defensive gloves, the mana int and str are nice bonuses

"
Cast When Damage Taken (lvl 1) - Ice Nova (lvl 1) - Curse on Hit - Elemental weakness

This setup was initially to apply EE, but since I got tired of cursing and I really need that high level curse I made this, any target that gives you any kind of damage will be cursed, guaranteed, the rest of the monsters doesn't really matter.

Again just a defensive helmet, i choose this one because it was cheap and had good armour/ life values

"
Reduced Mana - Vitality - Purity of Fire - Purity of Lightning

Standard for the RF to work, purity of lightning can be swapped with clarity if there are any mana issues

The Blood Dance, these generate frenzy charges for free and give pretty good regen. You don't really care about the cast speed reduction so there is no downside to these except that they don't have life/resists/armor.

"
Your vaal skill goes here I used vaal cyclone, which is very nice.

Note that vaal cyclone doesn't work with my current setup, but too lazy to swap it out for another combo, besides I am still hoping to get a +2/+1 fire sceptre with crit sometime soon

Again a generic defensive plate, semi high armor, some life and some resist

"
Immortal call - Increased Duration // incinerate

Immortal call makes you very tanky, incinerate is used to generate power charges for extra damage on single targets

Romiras banquet: Generate some power charges on cwdt and incinerate

Generic defensive ring, the increased mana regen is pretty nice

High life, lot of spell damage and crit stats, stumbled upon this ammy somewhere, really glad i can use it, but anything will fit this slot, use it to cap out resist/life/damage

My pride and beauty, sniped it for a few chaos and it has served me very well ever since.
if you can get the extra endurance charge, if you can't get one any rare will do

This is in my weapon swap to snapshot RF, its mainly a 4-link that I don't have to have in my main setup, thus saving me space and I don't have to carry around an extra piece of gear to snapshot with

"
Righteous Fire - Increased Area Of Effect - Concentrated Effect - Increased Burning Damage

This is not your main damage source, but against high HP targets every bit of DPS helps

4b) Flasks
Spoiler
You have a lot of freedom in your flasks, this is my current setup

Important are: Curse removal, bleed removal and ruby flask

I use the sanctified life flask over another ruby as it gives me more heal if i receive a lot of damage, but I also carry around another ruby flask that I can swap out for my pure MS if I know I'm going to have to tank a heavy fire boss for a longer period of time(crema boss, shipyard boss, ...)

5) The Tree
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAAecCcQPGBLMFLQn2EuEUIBRNFHEWbxcvGJEZhRo4GlUabCSqJLAlrScvJ9Uo-ilPLdIu_zboNuk62D38ROdFnVBHUFBVxlXWVw1YY1nzXz9gS2EhZKNk52h0ah5yqXK7dO16qnrvfLuApIKbgseDOITvhX2G0YzPjmSPRpBVkc6UoJitmuCdrp7NoW2iAKIPpKynCKcwp4SoGKyqtvq4k7nNu-28n8AaxFjFis9l0NDSIdhN2mLa3eOf5CLr7uw47w7vfPAf8i_z3fZI9zL3pvno-tL9Cw==

5b) The Bandits
Spoiler
Normal - Oak
Cruel - Skill Point
Merciless - Oak

You can take the extra power charge from Alira instead of the endurance charge, this will give you theoretically more dps, since power charges have a little more average damage and 50% crit chance is not bad at all, but your damage won't be as consistent because you would rely more on getting two kinds of charges

6) Charge Generation
Spoiler

Endurance Charges [8]Your main damage comes from these, which you get from manually casting enduring cry with spell echo, once you get a lvl 18+ enduring cry you get an endurance charge for every 2.9 enemies, so if there are 6 enemies you get 8 charges. Most groups of monsters are larger than 6, making it almost a certainty you get all of your charges while clearng maps
Power charges[4]These are generate by Romiras banquet and are optional, but if you want to crit they are kind of mandatory. You can generate then fast with incinerate, but I usually don't as it really isn't necessary. Not critting on a discharge/CWDT Ice nova will also generate a charge, which happens plenty
Frenzy Charges[3]The blood dance will generate these, while 1 for every 3 enemies you kill might not seem like a lot you will find they are up almost all the time ince they generate after you kill a pack, they give movespeed and regen, which is awesome.
Blood Rage: Whilst you might be tempted to use this it will be very hard to keep up with the degen unless you get a lot of chaos res on gear, which in turn is pretty expensive.
Since there are only 3 frenzy charges to be had, this is also quite a lot of overkill

7) Pain points
Spoiler
Unfortunately there are some downsides in the build
Mana: If you run with purity of lightning flat mana isn't really an issue, but you kind of need someone in the group to run a lvl 6+ clarity. If you run clarity yourself you might want to get some extra mana and int on items so your pool gets large enough to sustain a decent level clarity
Single target: Since you need at least 6 enemies for enduring cry to be really effective killing single enemies/bosses will require you to stand on top of them with RF and if you feel like you need extra damage you can shock stack them with incinerate + discharge
Movement: If you don't use a sceptre you can't use leap slam which is a loss. However with a well rolled quicksilver flask the loss is minimal
Groups: People will complain if you clear at your run speed (+60/80% with pots), especially if they have trouble keeping up, don't worry, they are just jelly

8) Miscellaneous
Spoiler
Enduring Cry has a 4 second cooldown, so keep that in mind if you calculate how much mana you need. I.E. 1 spell rotation per 4 seconds (50 + 90 = 140 mana => 35 mana/sec needed to keep my mana full)
You can put your discharge in a 5/6 link with concentrated effect/increased aoe/ pen/whatever, but your mana cost will drastically increase. So I prefer to have just the 3 link
Discharge damage with lvl 3 empower + lvl 18 conc effect. unfortunately standard failed to provide any decent weapon upgrades for me

My PC isn't good enough to make decent videos of the gameplay, but should anyone be willing to run a few maps with me and upload that, then i'd be very grateful

9) Possible improvements
Spoiler
The weapon: a +1 to lvl of gems, more crit and more spell damage is definitely possible
Generic gear: this can be upgraded to mirror gear, if one would feel the need

Corruptions: i'm still looking to upgrade to the following corruptions:
Weapon: 1% of fire damage leeched as life
Boots: +1 frenzy charge
Amulet: +1 frenzy charge/1% of fire damage leeched as life/+1% max resist
Gloves: +1 level of gems

Thanks for reading and feel free to ask questions or comment
EDIT: Thanks SilkTopHat for pointing out I forgot to post the tree
Last edited by MrsTMouse on Aug 11, 2014, 12:12:40 PM
What is your skill tree? I either missed it in your post or you didn't post it.
I also had the plan to combine RF and a burning Discharge.

Yours looks pretty good.
My suggestion for the next passives would be to skill the Inner Force and Holy Fire Clusters.
Skilling Inner force would be rather painful with RF, maybe if I get Purity of fire to lvl 20 and a +1% to all resist on my ammy.
But right now there is no way I can sustain that.

I have been thinking about holy fire, but I'd rather get more crit chance to be honest.
In any case i'm lvl 89 atm and I don't know if I'll play much more in Standard League, so 3 levels is stretching expectations.

Besides Holy fire would only buff the RF and the burn of the ignite, which are good damage, but having the damage upfront is a lot more fun
Would really like to see a Gameplayvideo :)
Can you clear high maps good?
IGN: WhyTheRainbowstrides
Yeh, clearing is pretty fast :)
Unfortunately I can't record on my comp :(
Added vids and some misc stuff
I have had this build posted on the forums since July 30th, I updated the post last before yours was created, have been playing with it since week 2 of ambush and posted it on reddit well before.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/958893/page/1/#p8146993

All that said, who cares, its a fun build and lets spread the word about it :)
Harvest crafting thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2902994
Level 100 Softcore - Storm Brand Occultist
Level 100 Hardcore - Shockwave Totems
Level 100 Hardcore - Bladefall Self-cast
Level 100 Hardcore - Whispering Ice
Hyperbear I added a link at the top of the post to your thread, cuz we have to share to love.
However, I must point out that though the idea behind our builds is rather similar the execution of the idea is vastly different.
You have quite a bit less life and rely on a lot more high end gear* than I do and at the end of the day you don't intend to crit (vs 40% crit chance in my build).
I don't mean to criticise, I just want to point out the differences. Feel free to add the build to the compendium, should you feel the need.

*(+1% all resist amulet, 6 link 2.2k armour plate, lvl 21 purity of fire, that VERY fine doryani's belt)

Good day to you sir
I do not require that gear though, having and needing are very different, I shall have to make a video of me clearing a courtyard in all 5-10c items at some point because I know I can do it :)

However I do agree with the crit portion, and I find it impressive that yours does enough damage on only a 3-link so in that sense yes they are indeed incredibly different. Props to you for creating a slightly more varied build, on another note does it ever feel clunky having to generate power charges with a romira's? I could see that becoming very annoying very quickly.
Harvest crafting thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2902994
Level 100 Softcore - Storm Brand Occultist
Level 100 Hardcore - Shockwave Totems
Level 100 Hardcore - Bladefall Self-cast
Level 100 Hardcore - Whispering Ice
Last edited by Hyperbear on Aug 10, 2014, 3:18:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info