[Oddball/experimental]The Raging CoC - 50 Raging Spirits - 3:12 gorge clear - 450k DPS?!

IMPORTANT - What this is and is not :
This is a write-up of my current work on Cast on Crit Raging Spirits. This is not a build guide. I wouldn't even recommend anyone to do this build, mostly due to the very difficult to obtain central piece (CoC-corrupted Bringer of Rain with the right sockets). The build is in an unfinished state and still subject to large modifications. 1.2 will hit soon, and it's impossible to say how it will impact this one, but the tree at least will have to be rethought completely.
That being said, I feel the build is getting to a point where it starts to look quite interesting. The concept is fairly unique, I think, and it works well enough ; I just finished a 3min12s Gorge run with it (could be quite a bit less with better play), and I have done some hard 77s without any difficulties with it.

The build in action : Gorge run (3min12s)
http://youtu.be/JSavXh0wFek
(alternate twitch VOD)

How it works
This all hinges around this beauty :

BoR with the Cast on Crit corruption gives us an effective 8 link to work with. This lets us use a long gem chain that includes a triggering attack that hits a whole lot of times per second (Molten Strike-Greater Multiple Projectiles-Multistrike-Faster Attacks-Blind) while triggering a well supported Summon Raging Spirits gem (Summon Raging Spirits-Multistrike-Melee Physical Damage-Faster Attacks-Blind)

The other key to this build is Thief's Torment, which will solve all mana troubles we could have had regardless of attack speed while giving us a huge amount of instant life per hit (and we hit a lot !)

The Trigger :
Molten Strike-Greater Multiple Projectiles-Multistrike-Faster Attacks-Blind
Molten Strike is used purely for triggering CoC. The attack damage is bad, compounded by GMP diluting it further. It would require a GG dagger to make it worth scaling anyway, so we'll let the boys do all the work.
Molten Strike is a good CoC trigger because :
- The projectiles from a single "blow" will hit at slightly different times, giving each a chance at triggering CoC.
- The projectiles are AoE, meaning they can shotgun on a single target, making it almost as effective against lone targets as it is against bosses.
- It can be supported by GMP, multistrike and faster attacks for a lot of hits/second.
Currently, I have a bit over 10 attacks per second. Each attack puts out 7 projectiles + 1 melee hit. That's a theoretical max of 80 hits per second on a single target (more realistically 40-50ish which is already plenty), and each is capable of separately triggering CoC.
50 hits per second with the Blind support (9% chance to blind per hit at lvl6) also means we have about 90% chance to blind anything in range in under 0.5 seconds, which is quite handy !
It's also important to note that each of these hits is AoE, so can hit multiple targets in a pack. Those hits are simultaneous so will not trigger CoC anymore than if they hit a single target, but each one will give us the life and mana on hit from Thief's Torment !

The Spirits :
Summon Raging Spirits-Multistrike-Melee Physical Damage-Faster Attacks-Blind
Raging Spirits do a lot of damage. The little guys scale wonderfully well with physical melee supports, attack speed, duration, and move speed. Besides the support gems above, they are also supported by our Haste and Hatred auras, as well as the Flesh Offering and Vaal Haste buffs.
In the exact setup presented here, I calculate the DPS of a single raging spirit at 8.9k DPS. Knowing we can get 50 spirits out fairly easily with this build, this gives us a theoretical peak DPS of 445,000 DPS (neglecting our own attack damage). This is of course paper DPS, but it's a lot more attainable than the paper DPS of self cast raging spirits builds, as our ramp time to 50 active spirits can be as low as 1 or 2 seconds.

Gear and gems
Here's the gear I am currently using on this char. It's not optimal, but not too bad either.

What's next ?
Still a lot I want to say in this post, will add some as I go.
I really want to remake this build as dagger+shield, ditching the dual wield component. This means a redical change of the passive tree, which means eating up a lot of regrets which I don't have right now (and I'm not finished testing this version of the build).

For reference : previous iteration of the build
http://youtu.be/P9IZ16n70NA
I'm proud I made the build that got hotfix nerfed by 80% in under a week :
Kamikaze Clones /1204796 (LL Mirror Arrow Instability Prolif)
Last edited by PepprmintButler on Aug 5, 2014, 6:10:18 AM
[reserved]
Looking good. I wonder if there's a way to add EE or curse. Is there any way to convert molten strike to lightning damage? Proc with ST with lightning damage on gear? Whirling-curse on hit?
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
hmmm interesting... What shield and dagger you want use?
He has hatred EE will be problem then... I think the biggest problem is Bor its imposibble get another one like this... or small chance
Its not impossible.. there are a good number of +1 gems lioneyes floating around, it just will cost 20 ish exalts for each one
About getting a BoR like the one I use - it's certainly not easy. It's by no means impossible though.

1) buying one
At the time of writing there are 2 CoC corrupted BoRs on sale in standard. Both have the wrong colors, but soon that will not be a problem anymore, since it will be possible to change the socket colors of corrupted gear in 1.2.
I bought mine for quite cheap - most people don't think this corruption is of any use on this particular item (it isn't, outside of this fringe use).

2) making one
BoR is cheap now. In standard, you can get them easily at 1ex or 2ex for a good roll. Meaning it would not be unreasonable to buy a lot of them and try to hit the corruption yourself.
The big question is how many it will take to hit it ; there's no data on this, but anecdotal evidence (a friend corrupting 100 helms and getting CoC 5 times) gives an estimate of about 1/20 chance.
If it takes you 20 tries to get the right corruption, at average total cost of 2ex per unit, your CoC BoR will have cost you 40ex - pricey, but still less than a Soul Taker. And you can probably still resell a few of the "bad" results (white sockets, etc) to recoup your costs.
Last edited by PepprmintButler on Aug 6, 2014, 11:55:45 AM
What do you think abou this build now when we have new tree?

Can it work with tabula rasa on HC? i think 6 link is enugh without faster attacks and blind... ?

can it work with one dagger and shield?
Last edited by Jarovb on Aug 15, 2014, 4:54:01 AM
I've been doing this with Dagger and shield for a bit.
The average crit chance is higher, and I can use a Rathpith for some spell block. I couldn't fit in shield block nodes, putting the base block at only 45%/27%, but with a Rumi's Concoction I can get a temporary 75%/65% which is pretty nice for close to zero investment, and seems to be enough if timed right (with blind and the sustain from Thief's, you don't really need block unless big nasty pack or boss, in which case you can usually have the flask up long enough).

I'm still working on a 1.2 tree (I'm thinking of something like this - this is for dagger+shield)

As for running this with a 6L (tabula or other), Molten - Multi - GMP - CoC - SRS - Minion Damage could work. or Molten - Multi - FA - CoC - SRS - Melee Phys. This would need some testing. It will be significantly inferior to the corrupted BoR version, although that's not a surprise to anyone I guess.

EDIT : unrelated - I posted another oddball build, check it out if so inclined --> The Masochist Reaver
Last edited by PepprmintButler on Aug 19, 2014, 1:07:18 AM
U need Update ur build
Start playing in Feb 9, 2013
My KineticBlast LL ML 400kDPS GMP /view-thread/1466693
Asus LGA1155 P8P67 / Intel Core i5-2500@4GHz / Corsair Vengeance 16GB@1600MHz
Asus GTX970 STRIX 4GB / Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus 7.1
Acer 27 IPS 2560x1440@144Hz [XF270HU] + BenQ 24 TN-film 1920x1080@120Hz [XL2420T]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info