GGG, please optimize the Dominus fight.

@blackiechan: If you ask me, the only problem with the Dominus fight is the intense performance requirements it has on people's graphics cards. When operating at peak efficiency — no FPS or sync issues — I consider the fight to be a work of art. As in, put this shit in a game design museum and preserve it for the ages. When I see people suggest changes to the fight like "make Touch of God do less damage," my immediate feeling is best described by the exclamation "sacrilege!"

That said, the performance issues stemming from the Dominus fight are a fucking problem. At a bare minimum, GGG should give some clarity in terms of system requirements (such as a more detailed Download page) so that people aren't taken by surprise when their graphics card takes a giant shit because of blood rain.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 5, 2014, 4:00:19 AM
"
AusterlitZ wrote:
"
oBLACKIECHANo wrote:
"
My PC get as loud as a aircraft when i start to fight dominus II...

And that is a good indication of what is causing performance issue's, it's definitely the game and not your airflow/GPU heatsink and fans/case/everything else in your PC.

Why did you come in this thread? To fanboy around and flame others? God forbid the fight is poorly optimized on GGG's part.

I have between 80 and 120 fps anywhere in the game,Dominus drops me to 20-40.

Haven't seen one of these posts in a while. For a moment I thought the kids stopped getting off topic and name-calling people that which they weren't.

Try getting on topic. The quote you made had a point. If you're computer is making a lot of noise, it's working hard. That means either:

1. The game is demanding and your system just isn't up to it.

or

2. The game is poorly optimized and your system is going into overdrive to compensate to still give you your 60+ FPS.

or

3. They are playing in a party with a CoC build.

Now, seeing how many people don't have an issue with the Dominus fight, I'd say the person with the loud computer has local problems. Their computer is older or simply worn from intense gameplay and/or drasctic overclocking.

As I said, I have a high end computer and I don't notice any problem with Dominus at any point. This is solo so I don't have any CoC builds running around and fucking my computer over from a continent away.
ATI or Nvidia ?
IGN TylordRampage
I'm in same situation. The game has a lot of optimization issues. I got my 60-70 FPS disabling sound(!) (OK, let's think that it's a OpenAL issue and GGG did their best). I can even understand that some projectiles and skill effects can drop my FPS to 15 because my PC isn't good enough. But on some levels like Dominus fight and side areas it drops without any reason. Rain drops much more than full party of players. GGG doesn't want to disable particles because of losing the atmposphere. Of course, the rain is more important than stable FPS. Are you serious?

"
Malone wrote:
ATI or Nvidia ?

If it's interesting I have ATI integrated videocard.
Last edited by Duha666 on Aug 5, 2014, 6:22:34 AM
rain is something that will hit many PCs and very hard to optimise without losing something.
Yeah my PC lags to, down to about 20 fps, and in party I need to pull settings to almost brick mode, so I can see whats happening. another issue is it looks like GGG uses openGL, which while it allows them to easily move to other operating systems including linux, it is bad when it comes to optomising things with ease.

Something that could help you is disable your sound in the dominus fight, just then understand that you will be missing the audio signals for certain attacks he will do. BUt your fps will come up.

I personally didn't go into the gaming industry because of this. The only cross platform 'framework' you can use is openGL, a Pain to use. and props to GGG for making it as it is so far.

Some games allow use of dx on windows machines, as it is by far the worst with openGL, the real question is will GGG do this, as it will make a lot of players get almost double the fps.
"
Natharias wrote:
Either my machine is too good to lag during the Dominus fight or the instance is optimized.

Don't know which case is true, and I'm running on the highest settings unless I'm in a party.

You probably havent noticed that the 300 FPS you achieve with your NASA computer drop to like 150 during the dominus fight. Of course human eye wont be able to notice a difference but in perfomance terms the dominus fight has a HUGE Impact on it
Last edited by HitachiLex on Aug 5, 2014, 10:45:16 AM
"
Salajadin wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:
Either my machine is too good to lag during the Dominus fight or the instance is optimized.

Don't know which case is true, and I'm running on the highest settings unless I'm in a party.

You probably havent noticed that the 300 FPS you achieve with your NASA computer drop to like 150 during the dominus fight. Of course human eye wont be able to notice a difference but in perfomance terms the dominus fight has a HUGE Impact on it

I always have FPS shown and I almost always run with the built in f1 info running. I never go above 60 FPS since there is no point in going higher. I can't see it, so why have my machine do something I won't be able to take advantage of?

My FPS only drops in Path of Exile when I play in a party with a CoC build, or for a very short time when someone self-casts Discharge.

As I said, it's not optimization. If it is, my computer is strong enough to get past it and it isn't top notch.
"
Natharias wrote:
"
Salajadin wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

I always have FPS shown and I almost always run with the built in f1 info running. I never go above 60 FPS since there is no point in going higher. I can't see it, so why have my machine do something I won't be able to take advantage of?

My FPS only drops in Path of Exile when I play in a party with a CoC build, or for a very short time when someone self-casts Discharge.

As I said, it's not optimization. If it is, my computer is strong enough to get past it and it isn't top notch.

Theres no point in going higher? lol. Did you actually read my post? same shit different color.

If you have 60 FPS and someone casts discharge, which is very resource intensive, those 60 FPS drop to X and you notice perfomance drop very easily even if its just for 1 second. Now if you had 200 FPS, and someone casts discharge, those 200 FPS will drop to say 150 for example, but you will see 0 perfomance impact because 60 FPS and 200 or even 1000 will loke the same to the human eye, but the real thing is that the single discharge animation just dropped your perfomance by a 25%.

Now imagine the above example in 6 man party, while being in dominus room, and playing in a mid range PC that averages 40-50 FPS.
Last edited by HitachiLex on Aug 5, 2014, 6:00:26 PM
"
Salajadin wrote:
Theres no point in going higher? lol.

No, there isn't. So what if you have twice the FPS you cap yourself at, it doesn't make any difference to your eyes.

"
Salajadin wrote:
If you have 60 FPS and someone casts discharge, which is very resource intensive, those 60 FPS drop to X and you notice perfomance drop very easily even if its just for 1 second. Now if you had 200 FPS, and someone casts discharge, those 200 FPS will drop to say 150 for example, but you will see 0 perfomance impact because 60 FPS and 200 or even 1000 will loke the same to the human eye, but the real thing is that the single discharge animation just dropped your perfomance by a 25%.

Okay? You bring this up, why?

"
Salajadin wrote:
Now imagine the above example in 6 man party, while being in dominus room, and playing in a mid range PC that averages 40-50 FPS.

Now imagine how he looks when he says the fight is poorly optimized. It has nothing to do with Dominus. It has everything to do with his mid range PC and being in a full party, of whom many might likely be something that will push his computer to the limit.

How did you put it?

"
Salajadin wrote:
Did you actually read my post? same shit different color.

Try reading my posts.
I'd love to have an option to toggle off weather in PoE. Even though I never buy Dominus runs and always do him myself (HC player here), the second phase just rips my PC to shreds, especially in a party.

And the absence of fog or moonlight (Fetid Pool, Western Forest) would also make life a lot easier for my poor laptop.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info