Daily Quests - is the WOWification of PoE good or bad?

We don't know yet. I hope it's good. I don't doubt it will be. But it could be really bad, if done wrong.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking features of other games and adapting them to fit your game. Your term "wowification" is sensationalizing it. It's really worthy of a rational discussion, once we get some more info on it, but using charged language like that is only going to lead to poo-slinging.
"
AllisonW wrote:
"
b15h09 wrote:
Well, I think most of it comes from "Who the hell asked for this stuff?" while we wait to see how much stuff we asked for doesn't make it in.

Everyone who wanted more stuff to do in the game or wanted gearing to be less excruciating, dare I say.

I don't like the idea of calling this the "WoWification of PoE," though. That's an unfair comparison--from the title I thought the first post would be scathing criticism. In any case, taking what works from another game is not remotely the same as turning it into that game: how often do you hear people accusing Path of Exile of being Final Fantasy because of its passive tree, skill gem system, and Vaal skills? (Granted I make the comparison a fair bit, just because it amuses me that they managed to make stuff from a traditional menu-based JRPG work well in a Diablo-like.)

(pardon my posting twice in a row)

Well, I know a lot of people asked for an alternative to mapping for end game. Maybe grind for rep is that alternative? Doesn't seem like it, but maybe. As far as gearing being less excruciating... in theory, yes, but we have yet to see the implementation. GGG surely put some RNG gating in there. That's just how they roll.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
"
mazul wrote:
"
Wooser69 wrote:

The bad:
  • If you miss out for a while, don't feel like doing the daily quest, didn't come across it or even finish the quest within your play time, you will be REALLY behind the curve.
  • If you want to play more of the quest content you gotta wait til tommorow, even if it's your favourite part of the game.
  • Feels like a kinda cheap way of saying "please play our game".

Final Fantasy XIV solved that to a certain extent by allowing people so save daily "charges" for x amount of days, roughly 3 I think?. So if you can't do a daily quest today, you can do twice tomorrow.

Given that two of PoE's core systems (the passive tree and skill gems) and one of its supplementary systems (Vaal skills) are yoinked right from Final Fantasy, it would not surprise me in the least if they implemented this too while they were at it.
In TBC I frigging loved them. I made multiple characters to do more daily quests (sha'tar & skyward ?). In WotLK it started to become abit of a chore, but still overall liked it most of the times. From Cataclysm and on I absolutely despise them, I have done so many of them. I can't stand them anymore, not a single one. Although, there were many other changes I did not like about the game, making it even worse.

Here in PoE? I'm not sure how they will turn out, I have faith in GGG and they'll probably give us an awesome gaming satisfaction. I'll wait and see :)
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
We don't know yet. I hope it's good. I don't doubt it will be. But it could be really bad, if done wrong.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking features of other games and adapting them to fit your game. Your term "wowification" is sensationalizing it. It's really worthy of a rational discussion, once we get some more info on it, but using charged language like that is only going to lead to poo-slinging.

You are right it is sensationalizing it. The reason for why I chose to do it, is because I've seen plenty of examples where people are afraid to learn from games they "hate" such as WoW or Diablo 3. It is like there is the absurd fear of that any change in their direction would be damaging for PoE.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Never liked that stuff, it's BORING to do the same thing over and over. and they might have as many variations as they want it is still going to get boring superfast.
Last edited by Xantaria on Jul 31, 2014, 1:22:29 PM
"
Xantaria wrote:
Never liked that stuff, it's BORING to do the same thing over and over. and they might have as many variations as they want it is still going to get boring superfast.

Yeah, it's a lot more fun to run Shipyard/Shrine/Courtyard/Palace over and over than to run missions with variable objectives over and over
Nobody point a gun to your head you have to show up everyday. If you don't show up you won't get the so called reward but who cares? I don't understand, at the end, what's the big deal about it? If you can play everyday, good for you. People like me have wife and kids who will go for oversea trips will not QQ over it.
"
AllisonW wrote:
"
Xantaria wrote:

Yeah, it's a lot more fun to run Shipyard/Shrine/Courtyard/Palace over and over than to run missions with variable objectives over and over

Point is that you are not forced to do those areas over and over, you choose to, daily's force you to do so every day for a reward.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Feature older than VGA adapters = Blizzard invented it.

Other things they invented: Polygons, orcs, textures, .ogg files, multiplayer and Al Gore.
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Jul 31, 2014, 1:31:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info