Daily Quests - is the WOWification of PoE good or bad?

Rewarding people for showing up everyday is a technique that World of Warcraft is well-known for. In WoW, they use both daily quests and rested exp to achieve that effect.

It is a tool to reward people who play casually.

How do you feel about this?

I don't mind at all.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Last edited by mazul on Jul 31, 2014, 12:39:19 PM
The good:
  • Likely to have at least something substantial happen if you play, can put game down when done or carry on if you like what you get.
  • Evens out pace of play between players, so even if you get to level 90 within a week you'll still only have as much Master rep as someone who plays casually. Not a gamebreaker, but gives a leg-up to players with lives.
  • Small amount of added incentive to play beyond grinding.

The bad:
  • If you miss out for a while, don't feel like doing the daily quest, didn't come across it or even finish the quest within your play time, you will be REALLY behind the curve.
  • If you want to play more of the quest content you gotta wait til tommorow, even if it's your favourite part of the game. If you're relying on crafting to improve your character you can't grind it out, all you can do is wait.
  • Feels like a kinda cheap way of saying "please play our game".

The I'm not sure:
  • It'll be 56 days of play before you have max rep with all Masters, and this is assuming there isn't RNG as to which Masters or quests you find. That's halfway into october, which for a 3 month league means only around 4 weeks of having total crafting freedom.
  • This also means if you play daily for less than 2/3s of the league you ain't gonna be on the same level - a week spent away from a PC is a weeks worth of rep.
  • That is again, assuming there is NO RNG as to which quest/Master you come across. Could be you're stuck at rep level 7 for your favourite Master but can't reach 8 cause you get quests for others.
  • If there isn't some sort of system that stores unplayed daily quests, this will be rough. If there is, then roughness averted!

Hopefully there can be some good discussion about this rather than "stupid and bad" or "just dont turn on the pc if you dont want to lol nigga just walk away from the screen nigga lol"
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
Last edited by Wooser69 on Jul 31, 2014, 12:43:40 PM
"
Wooser69 wrote:

The bad:
  • If you miss out for a while, don't feel like doing the daily quest, didn't come across it or even finish the quest within your play time, you will be REALLY behind the curve.
  • If you want to play more of the quest content you gotta wait til tommorow, even if it's your favourite part of the game.

Final Fantasy XIV solved that to a certain extent by allowing people so save daily "charges" for x amount of days, roughly 3 I think?. So if you can't do a daily quest today, you can do twice tomorrow.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
"
mazul wrote:
"
Wooser69 wrote:

The bad:
  • If you want to play more of the quest content you gotta wait til tommorow, even if it's your favourite part of the game.

Final Fantasy XIV solved that to a certain extent by allowing people so save daily "charges" for x amount of days, roughly 3 I think?. So if you can't do a daily quest today, you can do twice tomorrow.

Yeah, it seems really necessary for the players to not feel like they're being forced to play, by which point a game becomes work. If GGG can confirm there's a system to "store" quests if you miss out then I imagine a lot of the current hate against daily quests would be gone.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
We're getting new content, stuff that looks like a far cry from Atziri and seems to be really engaging. New crafting options, REAL crafting, Hideouts, daily quests… how can anyone dislike that?

This isn't WoWification, this is Path of Exile growing.

I know the OP of this thread isn't really complaining, but I've seen so much complaining and I cannot even fathom where some people come from.

This should say a lot because I'm typically very critical of GGG's methods of balancing and whatnot. But this expansion sounds extremely fun, and also something "everyone" can enjoy. How people can still be mad is beyond me.

Now, if we end up finding out that level 8 Rep takes as much grinding as level 100, I'll be coming back swiftly to remove my praise for the system lol.
"
kmillea wrote:
We're getting new content, stuff that looks like a far cry from Atziri and seems to be really engaging. New crafting options, REAL crafting, Hideouts, daily quests… how can anyone dislike that?

I know the OP of this thread isn't really complaining, but I've seen so much complaining and I cannot even fathom where some people come from.

This should say a lot because I'm typically very critical of GGG's methods of balancing and whatnot. But this expansion sounds extremely fun, and also something "everyone" can enjoy. How people can still be mad is beyond me.

Now, if we end up finding out that level 8 Rep takes as much grinding as level 100, I'll be coming back swiftly to remove my praise for the system lol.

Well, I think most of it comes from "Who the hell asked for this stuff?" while we wait to see how much stuff we asked for doesn't make it in. Purchasing mods is cool, but I hope they expanded the vendor recipe crafting system as well, as it's far more akin to actual crafting.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
"
kmillea wrote:

I'm considering the grindfest challenges in Ambush/Invasion now. One of them--perhaps the most directly comparable, since you're already using levels as a comparison--was to level a character to 90 in both leagues. These upcoming leagues will be a month shorter, so I wouldn't be surprised if reaching level 8 with all masters is perhaps a little bit less grindy than hitting 90 on a couple of characters.

In any case I don't think it'll be directly comparable to hitting 100. Not even Ambush/Invasion asked you to put yourself through that for 8/8 (no, their holy shit what challenge was getting all the Vaal toys).
"
b15h09 wrote:
Well, I think most of it comes from "Who the hell asked for this stuff?" while we wait to see how much stuff we asked for doesn't make it in.

Everyone who wanted more stuff to do in the game or wanted gearing to be less excruciating, dare I say.

I don't like the idea of calling this the "WoWification of PoE," though. That's an unfair comparison--from the title I thought the first post would be scathing criticism. In any case, taking what works from another game is not remotely the same as turning it into that game: how often do you hear people accusing Path of Exile of being Final Fantasy because of its passive tree, skill gem system, and Vaal skills? (Granted I make the comparison a fair bit, just because it amuses me that they managed to make stuff from a traditional menu-based JRPG work well in a Diablo-like.)

(pardon my posting twice in a row)
Last edited by AllisonW on Jul 31, 2014, 1:09:00 PM
I just hope the new content will not be gated behind the need to do daily quests. It would be very bad for the game.

Much better thing for me would be to have unlimited random number of quests that you can do how much you want. Timing out quests so you need to log in every day is a bad thing, there should be no limit how many quest you can do.
Initial feelings on daily quests are bad, i hate them, i've not done them since the end of TBC in any of the other MMO's that have came out...i'd need to see how they have implemented them here but if anything is hidden behind them forcing you to do them then they suck balls
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info