Crezury's 906k dps Skull army build

No native speaker here, no judgerino pls
Gonna add some pictures n stuff later

Pros&Cons

Cons
- Bit squishy with offensive tree (also "just" 77% all res)
- No leech, the defence is your offence (and also MoM and AA)
- Non-mf-viable summoner whatdefeeek :<
- When running dominus/piety, culler will have problems to get lasthit (deeeeeps)
- Not too sexy to lvl up
- ?

Pros
- The deeps is real.
- Fun to play
- high dps
- Atziri viable with cheap equipment
- alot dmg
- Can do most map mods
- You kill stuff fast
- Cheap (unless you go for uber engame gear)
- Not that popular (yet?!) :>
- Dmg goes through the roof
- Great party build (24/7 vaal haste + 4 auras)
- Tons of damage
- looks cool
- very mobile (i got 185% inc. movement speed with vaal haste + quicksilver)

Stats

4.2k life (offensive tree)
3.5k mana ~700unreserved
3.82/5.52 casts/second (without/with Vaal Haste)
12540/17537 AOE dps per skull (without/with Vaal Haste)
18949/26499 Singletarget dps per skull (without/with Vaal Haste)
5.075s duration for each skull
Theoretic AOE DPS:
258,395.00/492,406.00 (without/with Vaal Haste)
Theoretic Singletarget DPS:
390,456.00/744,043.00 (without/with Vaal Haste)
Comment

DPS calculated with:
6L setup as in the gem section. Level21 corrupted SRS in +3firegem Staff (see item section).
Single target dps with lvl2 empower.
Those are theoretical nubmers for dps its not taking travel time and critrate (5%) into consideration which should approximately equal eachother out.
Also not included in calculation: Curse/EE and monster resists.

Possible dps with lvl4 empower: 906,811.00

Leveling

!Warning! Not very fast/effective early on !Warning!

I personally hate leveling up with another skill, so i usually use my main skill as early as possible. I used a 3L Searing until lvl60, also works with Matua Tupuna or a +minion Gems helmet. Get SRS - Splash - Echo asap. For support gem priority have a look at the gems section.
If you feel the need of going very fast early, use flameblast, spec into the cast speed in the witch starting area and also spec into the eledmg/area/spelldamage, respec at around lvl50-60.

Bandits
Normal - Help Oak
Cruel - Skill point
Merciless - Skill point

Gems

Order by priority

6L SRS - Splash(switch to empower for single target) - Echo - Melee Phys - Multistrike - Minion damage

Comment
The gem setup is kinda depending on the items you are using.
Empower is definetly not always the best choice. Added fire damage is actually better as long as you cant get your empower to lvl 3 or above (including the +1 to all gems which you possible got on your weapon).
Some people prefer playing without melee splash even for aoe clear. I highly recommend to use it though, even with insane dmg the clearspeed for packs is way bitter with splash.
There has also been some discussion in my stream why i use Minion Damage instead of Added Firedamage or Increased duration. Both are actually an option, i kinda like using minion damage thought (explanation in Q&A).
Shot explanation:
- Increased duration has a better dps cap but wors scaling until casting for 6+seconds
- Added fire damage is just better damage wise if you curse and proc EE, minion damage has better freeze/chill on mobs and better instant damage
I also thought about using Melee Damage on Full life but came to the conclusion that it's a bad idea (explanation also in Q&A)

----
4L Increased Duration - Vaal Haste - Flesh Offering - Curse(Elemental Weakness/Enfeeble/Temp Chains what ever you prefer)
Comment
No real discussion on this setup

----
4L CWDT - Enduring Cry - Immortal Call - Increased duration/Molten Shell
or
2L 2L CWS - Immortal call | CWDT - Enduring Cry
Comment
No real discussion on these setups either. As long as you dont have a 5L chest and there for have to split the auras on 2 items which means you have no slots for spelltotem - arc combo use arc instead of inc duration/molten shell to proc elemental equilibirum(!)

----
4L Spell totem - Summon skelletons - Arc - ??
Comment
Use Skelli totem for defence, especially against monsters with Flicker Strike, Arc totem to proc EE. 4th slot free, sometime zombies are nice to have - your choice though

----
5L/6L Reduced Mana - Haste - Hatred - Clarity - Discipline /- AA
Comment
As written above, if you dont have a 5L split the auras on 2 items as i do at the moment. This setup would be ideal though.

Quality:
Quality on gems helps. As usually quality on auras is not too important but can be utilized with this build, since the spirits dont stick to you but acutally run around and might run out of aura range (picking up that 30% inc aoe of auras in the tree isnt actually that bad either). Its not that you badly need quality on any gem, it just boosts the damage a little. Quality on the curse might actually be one of the most important ones.
Of what i have experienced by playing this build, the movementspeed of the spirits somehow increases the aggro range of them (like: each spirit looking for targets to attack which can be attacked within a certain travel time). So quality on raging spirits helps in maps, not so much on boss runs and is definetly not that needed at all.

SoftcoreBuild
This is a Softcore Skilltree progression (dmg first, tankyness later). If you feel like needing more tankyness earlier, just grab lifenodes on the way (or check out hc build)
The general progression is:
Aura nodes > Duration nodes > Minion nodes > Life
Get cast speed/life if you feel like needing some, try to get EB early and run many auras asap.
22pts
34pts
54pts
71pts
94pts
117pts

HardcoreBuild

Just dont spec into the cast speed from tree, travel through the life wheel instead of the evasion wheel (probably gonna do this on my tree as well) like so and drop haste for grace. Also take into consideration to go wand+shield instead of a staff. You'll manage the gem setup ;)

Items

Weapon

Get as much +Fire/Minion/All gem on the weapon as possible. Manareg/Mana/Castspeed/resists help.

Rings

These are kinda bad but i need the resists on the one ring. Try to look for life, resists, mana/es, mana regen and cast speed.

Amulet

This is acutally pretty sick. Same as for rings: life, resists, manareg, cast speed. Miniondmg corruption would be perfect. Sidhebreath is definetly an option.

Belt

Pretty straight forward. Life. Resists. If possible Mana/ES.

Helmet/Gloves/Boots/Chest

Also just life/es/resists. Get different base items, depending on the colours you need!

Q&A
Q: Why those bandits?
A: Life for pretty much every life based character. Cast speed is too low (if you feel like needing more cast speed take it in the tree, you have plenty of options there). No real profit from charges (if you know you are 24/7 playing with a frenzy conduit dude in your party you might want to consider the frenzy charge, but usually just dont).

Q: MFing viable on this build?
A: MFing on this build is kinda hard. This build basically works only on life base so low life is not really an option. And since we need mana regen, resists, cast speed and life on rings and amulet, its kinda hard to get the rarity/quantity.

Q: Why not Cloak of defiance?
A: It definetly is an option but i dont find it that good, here is why: You kinda need to travel down to the duration nodes in the tree (south of scion starting point). If you travel through the evasion circle which i recommend (at least for leveling the character up to a point where you can respec into the defensive version) its definetly worth picking up those 4x 8% life nodes. At that point travelling to thick skin is not too bad (6 points for 34% increased life). Now MoM is just 4 points away. Now judge on your own, would you rather save those 4 skill points and take a cloak of defiance or take a chest with life/resists/high armor/lightning coil etc. It also gives you the option to take IR.

Q: Why not increased duration?
A: Ok so as I stated above, it is definately an option. Actually the overall dps is higher but we have to consider several factors here.
First: All skulls have to survive to deal their DPS (dont die to reflect or aoe/projectile attacks from monsters). With more skulls on the field (when using increased duration) the chance to lose skulls is higher, however the loss of 1 skull influencing the dps less than it would be if using minion damage. This is kinda equally good/bad on both sides.
Second: When is the DPS actually caping out.
Ok so this is where it gets intersting. I did the Maths on the current stats i have on my gear and in my build but can tell that it really doesnt matter what gear and tree you have. It always comes to the same or a similar result:
DPS 6L, Haste, Hatred, Flesh Offering (without Vaal Haste! With Vaal Haste the difference would be even bigger)
Minion Damge: 11469dps 5s duration (-> 19skulls total, if casting for 5s) = 217.9kdps total
Increased Duration: 9103dps 7.35s duruation (-> 27.5skulls total, if casting for 7.35s) = 250.5k dps
Casts per second: 3.74
Meaning the dps with Minion Damage is higher compared to Increased Duration until casting for 6.4s
This litteraly almost never happens, neither in bossfights, nor on packs in maps - and if it does the boss deals so much aoe damage (e.g. Atziri) that i prefer faster ramping damage over a little higher dps (see this master piece)

Q: Why not Melee Damage On Full life
A: The skulls just get damaged too often. They cant be targeted but get damaged by flying projectiles and aoe dmg pretty frequently (even with the 3% leech node its not really good).

Q: Why not added fire damage
A: Added fire damage is probably better damage wise if you curse (carefull here also with curse effectivity against bosses!) and proc EE with your totem, minion damage just has better instant damage without curses (and also has better cold damage to freeze/chill better). If i map solo i dont find the time to curse on most packs anyways. For party play it might actually be worth to swap. But minion damage is blue, added fire damage is red. Im just too lazy to recolour for just a little damage increase. There are also mostlikely other ppl cursing (other curses than elemental weakness) in the party so you might consider that as well.

The difference aint to big after all. If you feel like min-maxing do the calculation on this part on your own.

Q: What can i do to go more defensive?
A: Look @hardcore section. Basically get more life from tree, get grace going for ~12-15k armor without granite.

Q: What map mods to avoid?
A: Halfregen(still possible), No regen(!), Bloodmagic(!). Also hardcore damage mod combos are tricky, but due do high burst on your side mostly doable. Burning ground and desecrated ground are no problem, spirits dont suffer damage from those.

Q: Why use Elemental Weakness?
A: The spirits deal 2/3 elemental damage of their total dps (if you run hatred). So unless the monster is like a brazilion % overcapped eleweakness should outscale vulnerability & co (dont use flammabilit/frost bite, the damage sparation of phys/cold/fire is almost 1/3 each so buffing just 1 element is bad! Also ele weakness is reducing more resistances than the other two.). I actually haven't done the maths on Crit weakness. Might be worth, not sure yet.

Q: Can you do Atziri?
A: Yes.

Q: Can you do uber atziri?
A: Probably not with my current build. Would need to go the defensive way, drop some cast speed (not too bad for boss runs), maybe drop haste for grace @ triple boss, get purity of lightning & fire for atziri herself. Gonna be hard though, but probably possible.

Q: AA totem op?
A: Yes.

Q: What about reflect?
A: Phys is not too bad, ele a bit more. Just get the 3% life leech node and they should be somewhat fine.

Q: Snapshot?
A: Pls no.

Q: Double/triple totems?
A: No. Its more skulls yes, but less dmg/skull since of that dmg multiplier from spell totem. You also lose 1 suppport gem, on triple totem even the chest. That's just too huge.

Q: Pledge of hands?
A: Possible but not ideal. More mana cost due to 7L and bit less damage than +3 fire gem staff. But definately an option.

Q: Why witch?
A: Scion also possible, but bit weaker starting nodes, thats all. But with scion comes great ass, so definatly a good option.

Q: I wanna craft a staff. How should i progress?
A: Desired mods ordered by priority are: +2 fire gems, +1 all gems, cast speed, mana regen, mana, resists, stats (int/str). Try to hit +1 all gems first (spawnrate 0.383%), if possible in combination with another desired mod. Then try to regal +2 fire gems (spawnrate 1.534%). This is probably the point to eternal exalt what ever you need (kinda depending on your gear as well).

Q: Viable in 1.2?
A: I don't know. Gotta see (of what i have seen from the new tree, in 1.2 scion might be better than witch, not sure tho)

Q: Why not utilizing animate weapon?
A: No space to support them.

Q: In which way do you utilize zombies.
A: Pretty much just as 1shot meat shields. Same as for animate weapon, no space for support gems.

The Kappa is strong with this guide, sorry. I had my fun writing it tho. Much love <3

Crez
Last edited by sharukathan on Jan 12, 2015, 4:35:05 PM
Kappa
Hi I also have a guide on SRS. In fact our trees are almost identitcal. I'll go over some things I don't like about your build, and questions, and after I'll go over what I do like.

---

You never got to explain why you use minion damage over added fire. Is this because you're calculating your DPS against 75% fire resist mobs? How many curses (EW, EW+EE?) are you counting in your DPS calculations?

I think your build is something like atziri spec but with a staff. That's the only reason I can think why you would take inner force but not Purity of Flesh and use discipline and not grace. For normal mapping grace provides much better mitigation against big hits than immortal call. Immortal call is better against many medium hits (like the spitting birds in Courtyard). Though you can use grace+IC to get the best of both.

Also you're MoM + IR based, use 4 auras, but don't use alpha's howl. The 8% reservation and +2 discipline/clarity beats all but the most insane rare helms even against elemental damage. On top of that you get anti-freeze and tons of armor.

"
dps its not taking travel time and critrate (5%) into consideration which should approximately equal eachother out.

Nope. Base DPS (with travel and no crits) in my example is 70k. Not having to travel a screen increases it to 84k. OTOH having to travel but being able to crit increases it to 74k.

DPS with crits, and travel time

DPS with no crits, and no travel time

---

I'm impressed that you're consistently doing split phase at Atziri. I guess the key is to DPS them down before your flasks are out. I don't think this will work for uber. I'm also thinking that empower and +3 fire is helpful for the added life on minions here.

I like the idea of using all auras on a single 5L. Though for eleweakness maps I personally also need purity, so getting a 6L for auras seems like it's a bit much.

Alternating skele totem/arc totem seems like a good idea. I haven't seen a need to use it in normal mapping. I just use enfeeble for 76-78 maps instead of ele weakness. It seems like it may help during atziri, does it distract the clones' aggro?
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
Last edited by MatrixFactor on Jul 31, 2014, 12:53:07 PM
Finally its there :D
Give a man a fish, and you can feed him for a day.
But give a fish a man, and you can feed it for a month.
Nice.Was waiting for this one.
"
MatrixFactor wrote:

You never got to explain why you use minion damage over added fire. Is this because you're calculating your DPS against 75% fire resist mobs? How many curses (EW, EW+EE?) are you counting in your DPS calculations?

OK so here are stats with Hatred and Minion Damage:
Firedmg: 726
Colddmg: 622
Physdmg: 726
Total elemental: 1348
Total physical: 726
Total combined per hit: 2074

These are the stats with Hatred and added fire damage
Firedmg: 1000
Colddmg: 481
Physdmg: 562
Total elemental: 1481
Total phys: 562
Total combined per hit: 2043

I tell you why i dont like using added firedamage. In fact you are right, that added fire damage would be the better option, considering elemental weakness and EE buff just the elemental damage. The reason why i dont like it tho is the following: putting a totem which procs ee takes just too long for white/blue pack, hell i usually dont even have time to curse them. So i much rather have more instant damage without curse/ee. It's not that much of a difference anyways.
On a sidenote: Also think about curse effectivite on bosses(40%) and act bosses (30%). On atziri and tripple boss i use enfeeble anyways. Also more phys -> more stun, more colddmg -> more freeze/chill. I rather have those. Hope that explains it, if not let me know

"
MatrixFactor wrote:

I think your build is something like atziri spec but with a staff. That's the only reason I can think why you would take inner force but not Purity of Flesh and use discipline and not grace. For normal mapping grace provides much better mitigation against big hits than immortal call. Immortal call is better against many medium hits (like the spitting birds in Courtyard). Though you can use grace+IC to get the best of both.

Im using discipline cuz i need the manapool/mana regen. I run lvl 20 AA, MoM and a 6L SRS with a shit ton of cast speed (vaal haste 'n stuff). Not sure why you have so low mana cost - using a 4L?
Thought about droping haste for grace but i think haste is just buffing my cast speed, the skulls attackspeed and both movementspeed too well. Purity of flesh is indeed an option. Not sure what you want to say with the "immortal call is better against many medium hits". It helps a shit ton against leapslam packs. If getting damaged, i generate 1-3 endurance charges, meaning my IC lasts 1.25 - 3s. Its immunity to phys dmg. I mean ... ?! First one deals dmg to me, the rest doesnt. Simple stuff. Grace would be very good to run yes, thats right. Especially with IR and aa/MoM, but i rather like the offensive way. Check HC tab for defensive strats.

"
MatrixFactor wrote:

Also you're MoM + IR based, use 4 auras, but don't use alpha's howl. The 8% reservation and +2 discipline/clarity beats all but the most insane rare helms even against elemental damage. On top of that you get anti-freeze and tons of armor.

Alphas is an option. I kinda like having life on the helmet tho (needed the resistances as well) and rather take a freezing/chilled flask. A possible alternative would be:
Alphas: Reduced mana - haste - clarity - discipline
Chest: AA / spell totem - skelletons - arc (...)
But then you'd have to care about not having AA linked to spell totem else you have the all mighty op AA-totem. Just sayin.

"
MatrixFactor wrote:

Nope. Base DPS (with travel and no crits) in my example is 70k. Not having to travel a screen increases it to 84k. OTOH having to travel but being able to crit increases it to 74k.

DPS with crits, and travel time

DPS with no crits, and no travel time

Nice graphics bro. But you dont tell me what distance between you and the mob you calculate. Also you dont tell me your SRS movementspeed (haste, vaal haste, quality on SRS, Fleshoffering, ...).

"
MatrixFactor wrote:

I'm impressed that you're consistently doing split phase at Atziri. I guess the key is to DPS them down before your flasks are out. I don't think this will work for uber. I'm also thinking that empower and +3 fire is helpful for the added life on minions here.

Well thanks for the compliment after so much criticism. But i dont even need flasks on atziri fight if i dont sleep. Mabye one removes bleeding sanctified. The added life on minions doesnt rly matter. They either are 1shot anyways or they just get damaged slightly and can leech back up.

"
MatrixFactor wrote:

I like the idea of using all auras on a single 5L. Though for eleweakness maps I personally also need purity, so getting a 6L for auras seems like it's a bit much.

So you are telling me, that you use alphas, there for need to drop an offensive aura for ele weakness maps?

"
MatrixFactor wrote:

Alternating skellie totem/arc totem seems like a good idea. I haven't seen a need to use it in normal mapping.

Im not sayin that i wanna alternate the totem. Just use skelli for defence and arc for offence.

"
MatrixFactor wrote:

I just use enfeeble for 76-78 maps instead of eleweakness. It seems like it may help during atziri, does it distract the clones' aggro?

I roll ele weak all the way. Also i don't use skellies on atziri.

Hope that answers ur questions, buddy. Much love
I'll answer your answers in order. I'm criticizing what I see because PeppermintButler and I have thought a lot about our SRS builds to get them where they are. Since you're posting this without giving credit to anyone, I want to see if you have good justification for your decisions.

---
A curse cost 0.35sec to cast and increases DPS by up to 59%. I am pretty sure that it is optimal to curse and totem as soon as you have 6 spirits out. This occurs in any fight that lasts more than 1.5 seconds.

If you actually care about damage without curse or EE I believe culling strike is the best 6th link. It gives 10% faster cast, 10% faster attack, 22% increased damage, as well as 11.1% more damage (1/0.9 EHP). Faster casting and minion damage are good too. Even if you use enfeeble, -50% from EE should be enough to swing it in favor of AF.

Stun is based off of all damage, not just phys.

"
Im using discipline cuz i need the manapool/mana regen. I run lvl 20 AA, MoM and a 6L SRS with a shit ton of cast speed (vaal haste 'n stuff). Not sure why you have so low mana cost - using a 4L?

I thought you were running disc to get more unreserved mana to get more EHP with MoM against elemental damage.

I also run L20 AA, MoM, 6L SRS. I'm also fine with vaal haste. I have 291 mana/sec and 700 mana unreserved.
I don't need discipline because I have ES from gear and mana reg on jewelry.
Spoiler

"
But you dont tell me what distance between you and the mob you calculate. Also you dont tell me your SRS movementspeed (haste, vaal haste, quality on SRS, Fleshoffering, ...).

Yeah this is with flesh offering, haste, 20q gem, but no vaal haste. Movement time and initial 0.5sec of idle time is a big deal, as I'm sure you've experienced at this point.

"
So you are telling me, that you use alphas, there for need to drop an offensive aura for ele weakness maps?

No since with alphas I have -49% reservation I can run 3x60, 1x40, clarity, and still have ~300 unreserved mana. Since I don't have enough res on gear for eleweakness maps, I just turn on purity of elements. For other maps I leave that mana unreserved so MoM works better.

"
MatrixFactor wrote:

I also run L20 AA, MoM, 6L SRS. I'm also fine with vaal haste. I have 291 mana/sec and 700 mana unreserved.

Dude you must have some seriously strange cast speed. I have 5.56casts/second with vaal haste. On mana costs of 156 per cast that makes 433mana/second just because of SRS(echo alrdy calculated). On top there is AA and its also not too bad to have more regen than costs to support MoM.

"
MatrixFactor wrote:

No since with alphas I have -49% reservation I can run 3x60, 1x40, clarity, and still have ~300 unreserved mana. Since I don't have enough res on gear for eleweakness maps, I just turn on purity of elements. For other maps I leave that mana unreserved so MoM works better.

MoM on 300 Mana pool and 156 (or something close) cost on spell too good, yo!

Not gonna bother commenting on the rest of your comments. I posted this build because ppl asked for it. It's different than others. Sure i got some ideas from other builds here and there but put alot of thoughts in it as well (e.g. my dps calculator).

Build works fine for me, is alot of fun to play and pretty much works as it should. No reason to be PJSalt just because other also figuered out how to play SRS.

/edit
If it makes you glad:
I can tell you that all ideas i got from other build are the flowing:
- using +3 fire gem might be better than pledge from the headbang build (dunno exact name)
- rough idea of the skill tree from the dude who did the atziri kill on day #5. kinda didnt like cloak of defiance and the travel path up to the minion nodes. tried to optimize it and came up with those builds in my guide.

At the point i coded together with my cousin a dmg calculator to figure out what support gems to use and came up with the combination listed above. But why do i bother explaining anyways ...
Last edited by sharukathan on Jul 31, 2014, 7:23:16 PM
"

MoM on 300 Mana pool and 156 (or something close) cost on spell too good, yo!

That's actually a good point. I'm using purity until I get more resists on gear. But I just checked the math and it's actually better for me to drop grace for discipline in the cases where I run purity.

"
I have 5.56casts/second with vaal haste. On mana costs of 156 per cast that makes 433mana/second just because of SRS(echo alrdy calculated).

How are you getting 156 mana per cast and 5.56 casts per second? Are you counting with level 27 SRS?

About mana drain with vaal haste: up to level 26 spirit costs 21 mana per cast.
The multipliers are 1.8 multistirke, 1.4 melee physical, 1.3 spell echo, 1.6 melee splash, 1.3 added fire (1.25 empower is cheaper). So a spirit costs 21*1.8*1.4*1.3*1.6*1.3=144 mana per cast. The base cast speed is 1.25 casts per second. We get 96% cast speed from vaal haste and haste combined, let's say we get 6% from tree and 30% from gear. So in total we have 96%+6%+30%=132% cast speed. This gets multiplied by spell echo to 132%*1.69=223% final cast speed. So now we have 1.25*(1+2.23)=4.0375 casts per second. This would cost 4.0375*144=581.4 mana per second, but since we are using spell echo we get half of those casts for free, so we only drain 581.4/2=291 mana/sec with vaal haste. Add 50 mana/sec for arctic armor and the drain is 341 mana/sec. A deficit of -50 mana/sec can be sustained for 6 sec with 300 free mana and 14 sec with 700 free mana. This is enough since vaal haste only lasts 13sec.

Last edited by MatrixFactor on Aug 1, 2014, 12:09:00 AM
Lets say you are not running EE and elemental weakness curse. But vulnerability and no EE.

Would

SRS + Mstrike + Meleephysical + Echo + Idura +

will +addedfire still be superior to +minion damage? My idea was to buff the physical damage portion as much as possible which in turns buffs hatred dmg as well. I do utilize zombies along with my srs.

Necronomicon: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1617098
Build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/409940
Summoner Dischord: https://discord.gg/XwWdSUa
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/zhoukon

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info