A Fair Middle Ground for the Barter vs AH Argument

"
Grughal wrote:
"
It's been a couple days, so... bump.

Bump for what?

So more people will read it and maybe give feedback.
AH is so much more convenient. In D3 my stash was nearly always empty. In POE, it's full of shit i'll never be able to get rid of. I have so many items I'd take 1 Chaos each for and be happy, if only I didn't actually have to go into a hundred different games for a trade of just 1 chaos.

The D3 AH was so fast, you can dump shit for super cheap prices with no hassle at all.
Last edited by VixTrader on Jul 31, 2014, 2:34:15 PM
I know where you're coming from. I guess the only thing to do about he excess items is to liquidate en mass (usually via steep discount), or continue to hoard it until something makes it easy to sell.
It's been awhile, so... bump. This deserves more attention than it's getting, and it's not getting read because the mods decided it doesn't belong in GD. GG, GGG.
Bump.
I don't get why people make posts on trading systems without addressing the actual issue, which is the process of item inflation and balancing trade vs individual grinding as strategies. It's not as straightforward as "third party sites are filling the function of an in-game trading system, so obviously there needs to be one". A valid argument could be that trading is too efficient through those sites already, not that it needs to be made easier.

A better middle ground would be a system that is convenient to use, but has a high level background inefficiency.
Why all this hassle instead of just making the game self found? The foundations are already there, all GGG needs to do is make some adjustments.
"
"
obscenely wrote:
One of the main issues that I have noticed are:
1) items sell slowly
2) items are overpriced
3) item found on poe.xyz.is but player hasnt login in 2 weeks

With the implementation of an AH like in WoW or previously D3. items sell more rapidly at better prices. PLayer will tend to undercut other players. Also we can avoid the great hassle that it is of selling items. I find it annoying this dance. Also player will tend to play more instead at siting at base spamming trade chat looking for a buyer or trying to buy.

I understand where you're coming from, but there's a fair portion of this game's player base that is adamantly against the idea of a "traditional" AH (with buyouts, especially), so this aims to find some common middle ground where both sides give up a little to get something more valuable than they lose.

Im sorry, but if there is NO buyouts option, it will be pointless anyways. I want to be able to buy items right NOW, even if that player is offline, if he has what i want. However the problem then becomes how to do that, without destroying the economy, or making it an item flippers paradise.

No matter though, as long as its taken them to get nothing done, i dont expect this will be finished in our lifetime anyways.
IGN:Axe_Crazy
"
Allnamestaken wrote:
Didn't read after first so called pro-barter line... we don't have barter. And never did. If GGG wanted barter they wouldn't have made orbs tradable. Orbs are gold with prices set (or at least influenced) by RMT sites, GGG imposed vendor rates and the top 1% - if anyone still believes in market regulating itself (not only in poe) - I can only laugh at them.

I actually got turned off by the same stuff, the pro and against...
skipped ahead to the responses then thought... hrm. better read the op.

free market capitalism is best when the market is continuously growing in inventory
and demand. with a swarm of people willing to sell a specific gem during a league
its value will be low, if few people are willing to sell a specific gem its value
will be higher. the more people involved in the economy the more stable the valuations
will be.

but access to the free economy is limited. availability of buyer and seller are
restricted to such a severe degree, that it is more akin to a hegemony.

I might call the item flippers the hegemonists... the people willing to sit around and
focus on item and currency trades... act with discipline and long term planning
profiting by enabling players to actually get their hands on what they want...
for a fee.

remember, if 1000 people have a spare multistrike they would sell for 2 chaos,
there will only be one or two offering it or reading the WTB in trade chat every
once in a while... an impatient buyer might accept an offer of 5C when the "going rate"
is 2c..... going rates are nice... but can I actually get it in under an hour of trading?
(example is pulled from ass, numbers are illustrative, not accurate.)

an auction house would open the free market to everyone, the ability to trade
offline and have an "item sent in the mail" system would open the free market
substantially.

auction house however,... as dirty as it can wind up being... is the extreme
opening of the free market.

741 multistrikes for sale.... 300 of them are exactly level 1 with no quality,
and 95% of those are 2 chaos... 5% are some wrong price.

among the remaining multistrikes, some at different levels, qualities are consistently
variable in pricing. 20/20 obviously in the top, ideally corrupted maxed gems at the
very top.

pricing would change consistently over the duration of the league, based on supply and demand.

I'm not in favor of an AH.... but I am also not in favor of totally free market
capitalism. in the real world. this is just a game. so whatever is decided will
apply to everyone...

status quo however... is fucking garbage. (no offense to ggg, they have focused
efforts elsewhere... and I approve of the other work done)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info