A serious look at Blood Rage, the most broken gem in the game

I do not believe making lowlife unsuable as a good build is the way to deal with it. A series of suggestions i've been making about auras, crit, and blood rage would reduce the damage of low-life builds by almost 60% for example, and would pretty much address all abuses outside of pain attunement and spell damage modier stacking which i think is okay if low-life was primarily about that and a couple of other bonuses like a reduced blood rage.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Well it was already mentioned by someone else earlier but he said that this is not about low life spell casters, only about low life physical attackers right?
Last edited by Startkabels on Jul 27, 2014, 3:36:05 PM
"
sidtherat wrote:
guys

simplest, cleanest and the most elegant way of solving ALL problems that are related with low life is..

making 'low life' count HP+ES as a whole and apply its effect only when people are below 33% of COMBINED HP + ES

this would finally bring 'low life' to what it should have been from the start - bonus for living on a verge

currently low life is a cushioned car for wealthy and fat

makes sense to me
"
sidtherat wrote:
guys

simplest, cleanest and the most elegant way of solving ALL problems that are related with low life is..

making 'low life' count HP+ES as a whole and apply its effect only when people are below 33% of COMBINED HP + ES

this would finally bring 'low life' to what it should have been from the start - bonus for living on a verge

For starters, +1. Very elegant solution indeed.

But I have to ask you.... who would actually spec into low life if this was the case? PA, one of the biggest bonuses, is only applicable in very risky situations. BR, the 2nd most significant bonus, (whether nerfed or not is irrelevant) would only apply in risky situations as well. The spell damage bonus from shield, amulet, rings, passive tree, (and potentially) weapon would still be applicable, but at this point you have lost TREMENDOUS amounts of damage (since no one will actually probably be on sustained low life if it was 33% of combined HP and ES, just too risky), that the very situational LL bonus wouldn't actually be useful, and it would just be better to spec into CI.

On a related note, I would like to attract some attention to this rather unorthodox LL build:

http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/728023
"
CabooseDog wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:
guys

For starters, +1. Very elegant solution indeed.

But I have to ask you.... who would actually spec into low life if this was the case?
No one. It might be elegant, but it's not a solution. -1 to it.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
it is not a solution?

so maybe you admit that LL is broken

if Shavs was available from vendor for 1chaos 100% of population would have played low life

design of Low Life looks like - you get great bonus for being courageous and playing risky

implementation of low life - you get great bonus for being wealthy. there is no risk included. AT ALL

only and i mean ONLY limiting factor is rarity of Shavs.

you can afford it - great, you can spec into the most powerful builds in the game. you cant? forget about it

the very fact that ggg allows (and has no problem with that!) players to reach safe, cushioned low life status is absurd. not only endgame risk/reward is broken but also this..
I'm not saying low-life (with Blood Rage, Crown of Eyes and Pain Attunement) isn't overpowered. I'm confident it is.

However, removing its enablers functionally removes the builds. You can't sustain low ES under those circumstances. That's kind of like saying the solution to world peace is nuclear armageddon. I mean, in some kind of overly literal way, yes, it would be; perhaps "not a solution" is technically inaccurate. But it's not really what we want here, it's not a viable solution, unless we have given in completely to our hatred.

By the way: there is additional risk from using Shav's. At one point Mark said that his internal numbers showed an increase death rate among Shav's users compared to other elements of the population. Something about it causes players to be in more danger and/or take bigger risks. Perhaps Shav's just leads to more accidental Blood Rage snapshotting suicides in the Eternal Laboratory; I don't know for sure. I am not saying that the additional risk is huge (Mark didn't say how much more they die), and I am not saying that the additional power doesn't justify the risk (I believe it does, especially in softcore and "aged" hardcore).
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 29, 2014, 1:02:37 AM
Lol this guys on a fucking crusade on making this a blizzard game aka super nerfs.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I'm not saying low-life (with Blood Rage, Crown of Eyes and Pain Attunement) isn't overpowered. I'm confident it is.

However, removing its enablers functionally removes the builds. You can't sustain low ES under those circumstances. That's kind of like saying the solution to world peace is nuclear armageddon. I mean, in some kind of overly literal way, yes, it would be; perhaps "not a solution" is technically inaccurate. But it's not really what we want here, it's not a viable solution, unless we have given in completely to our hatred.

By the way: there is additional risk from using Shav's. At one point Mark said that his internal numbers showed an increase death rate among Shav's users compared to other elements of the population. Something about it causes players to be in more danger and/or take bigger risks. Perhaps Shav's just leads to more accidental Blood Rage snapshotting suicides in the Eternal Laboratory; I don't know for sure. I am not saying that the additional risk is huge (Mark didn't say how much more they die), and I am not saying that the additional power doesn't justify the risk (I believe it does, especially in softcore and "aged" hardcore).

shavs leads to playing sloppy. it is pretty much obvious - you fear nothing you dont care and then some stupid rouding error kills you because after leveling your aura costs 1hp more (now it is impossible but few months ago it was a common thing to die applying BM auras)

and - bear with me - WHO and WHEN promised anyone that 'low life' can be permanent? why people (the greed!) assume that these sweet bonuses are there for granted and possible to be 'on' all the time?

most of low life bonuses are very powerful and seem to be designed to help player to get OUT of low life status ASAP

it is greed that made players think that low life should be kept 'on' all the time - without any associated risks. and it is greed that blinds people in this case

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info