[1.2.X Guide] Mollari's Molten Strike Bino's Crit Dagger 155k/222k Tooltip DPS! - *With Atziri*

"
asdf54321 wrote:
swapped in doryani's belt (fire)

Absolutely viable. Keep in mind that unless specifically stated that an item is REQUIRED for the build you have plenty of options on switching out some of the items. In a perfect world a rustic with high res, life, and massive wed will bring in the most damage but the doryani's is a lot more accessible and can work just as well.

------------------------

Also, I very much appreciate the wonderful feedback so far pertaining to this guide. A lot of PM's here and through YouTube with people really liking the build. If you guys find any part of the guide that needs more explaining or anything please do not hesitate to ask!
IGN: @MollariFindsStuff
Livestream: twitch.tv/MollariGaming
http://www.Mollari.com
Last edited by MollariGaming on Jul 7, 2014, 12:35:33 AM
Great guide and really neat build. Caught it on reddit and realized that I had almost all the gear to run it, but I decided to alter it a bit to offset the squish a little. The damage seems so impressive that cutting down a tad to make room for block/spellblock with an Aegis/Rainbowstride/Lazhwar package seems really feasible. I am leveling through the mid-sixties right now, as I did not have an unspecced Ranger or Shadow. Here is my target spec and gear:

Tree
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAdEEfgV9BfkG6QkhDkgRlhXwFr8YvRmKGo8a2xutHoEi6iP2JDwk_SaVJ2EnqStvLYMvbziWOlg94j7PSO5JUUp9S41RR1VLVupW9Vb6WkhabWHiYqxjQ2egbXtwUnBWcLtw1XRBeK5943_GhxmHdofbiEKMNo19kBuXBpfQmhObtZ2WnaOdqqEiokCkwqZ_p1yqf6q4r-uxs7JEtMW1SLcXt9O5Pr3mwFHBxcLsxKLTftUA1p3Xy9kT2j3bbtvU3vbjhOdU53To1u1B7g7v8PLh8-r0-Pba-WP7Cfyr_MX_HA==

With Aegis, Rainbowstride, and a 3% Stone of Lazhwar, I'll have 63/47 block. Getting more would involve heading into the Duelist starting zone, which seems inefficient unless I try some sort of Grace/IR scenario, but I think I'm giving up too much damage at that point. 4 points gets me IR and 7 more gets 10% more block. Not sure if it is worth it, but I can cut some of the Stabbing Comeback and Fencing type damage nodes if I wanted to try. The difference between 63/47 block and 73/54 is pretty serious. Maybe just trying to fit Tempest Shield is a better bet.
I am also running the available aura nodes, as being able to run 60/40/40 or 60/60 in addition to running on mana seems great. I might want to do Grace/IR or simply Determination if I don't want to spend the 4 points on IR, but I'll have to see.
I'm not actually sure which combination of Stabbing Comeback, Fencing, and Flaying is correct, but I'll have to play with it.

Gear

I don't think I'll have room to run Death's Oath, as my rings will likely need to even out my resists (cold!) and get my chaos resist up to some reasonable level. It really depends how my auras shake down. The belt may need a change to get more cold resist; I'd love to get a rustic uber-belt.

Any comments/suggestions?

Again, thanks for sharing the build.
Doomed for Life
Last edited by SirDragos on Jul 9, 2014, 5:10:51 PM
"
SirDragos wrote:
Great guide and really neat build. Caught it on reddit and realized that I had almost all the gear to run it, but I decided to alter it a bit to offset the squish a little. The damage seems so impressive that cutting down a tad to make room for block/spellblock with an Aegis/Rainbowstride/Lazhwar package seems really feasible. I am leveling through the mid-sixties right now, as I did not have an unspecced Ranger or Shadow. Here is my target spec and gear:

Tree
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAdEEfgV9BfkG6QkhDkgRlhXwFr8YvRmKGo8a2xutHoEi6iP2JDwk_SaVJ2EnqStvLYMvbziWOlg94j7PSO5JUUp9S41RR1VLVupW9Vb6WkhabWHiYqxjQ2egbXtwUnBWcLtw1XRBeK5943_GhxmHdofbiEKMNo19kBuXBpfQmhObtZ2WnaOdqqEiokCkwqZ_p1yqf6q4r-uxs7JEtMW1SLcXt9O5Pr3mwFHBxcLsxKLTftUA1p3Xy9kT2j3bbtvU3vbjhOdU53To1u1B7g7v8PLh8-r0-Pba-WP7Cfyr_MX_HA==

With Aegis, Rainbowstride, and a 3% Stone of Lazhwar, I'll have 63/47 block. Getting more would involve heading into the Duelist starting zone, which seems inefficient unless I try some sort of Grace/IR scenario, but I think I'm giving up too much damage at that point. 4 points gets me IR and 7 more gets 10% more block. Not sure if it is worth it, but I can cut some of the Stabbing Comeback and Fencing type damage nodes if I wanted to try. The difference between 63/47 block and 73/54 is pretty serious.
I am also running the available aura nodes, as being able to run 60/40/40 or 60/60 in addition to running on mana seems great. I might want to do Grace/IR or simply Determination if I don't want to spend the 4 points on IR, but I'll have to see.
I'm not actually sure which combination of Stabbing Comeback, Fencing, and Flaying is correct, but I'll have to play with it.

Gear

I don't think I'll have room to run Death's Oath, as my rings will likely need to even out my resists (cold!) and get my chaos resist up to some reasonable level. It really depends how my auras shake down. The belt may need a change to get more cold resist; I'd love to get a rustic uber-belt.

Any comments/suggestions?

Again, thanks for sharing the build.

First, your tree is built for 96 (assuming bandits are life, phys, power charge) which is way too high. Builds should be "complete" around 80 and then anything after that is gravy.

Second, the aura nodes are not benefiting you very much as you think. Lets assume you are going to have about 550 mana, you need 150ish to run Molten Strike on mana, and you have a level 20 reduced mana gem. This means you can run 2x 60/60 auras and have 175 mana left. Running 60/40/40 only leaves you with 110 mana and not enough to support a 6L Molten Strike.
So with all the mana nodes you end up gaining the 34% aura effectiveness but only gain running a 60/40 max to 60/60. Not a huge gain for the 7 points you essentially spend extra just to get the nodes.

Third, with the way you have the tree setup and the fact you would need power charge on crit would is going to cost you quite a bit of DPS. Dropping my lowest damaging support gem (faster attacks for me) would drop me 30k DPS. The DPS is going to be quite a bit lower in your version even at 96. Now this is not always a bad thing but keep in mind that part of this builds survivability relies on keeping that Bino's regeneration buff up as much as possible. Here is how they specs compare on damage nodes:

Original (mine)
324% phys damage (1h/dagger)
46.8% melee phys
59% attack speed
680 crit (includes 5x power charges)
141 crit multi

Yours
222% phys (1h/dagger)
40.8% melee phys
45% attack speed
680 crit (includes 5x power charges)
121 crit multi

You would be looking at quite a bit of a damage loss on top of the 1 whole support gem. This may not be terrible because you gain block but I cannot test it out. Just so you can see how much of a change it would be. Note that is is strictly through the tree and would not include any gear to which I which I have a lot more DPS on versus the gear you linked.

Fourth we run into huge resist problems. You will need 135 to each res to cap at 75 (-60 merc and 75 to cap = 135) You said you wanted to run 2x 60 auras, so you would not be running Purity of Elements. You do not have any res in the tree so we can break down the resists like this

Fire
100(gear)- 135 = -35 needed total on your 2 rings

Cold
18(gear) - 135 = -117 needed total on your 2 rings (which required essentially require all res base, all res roll, almost max cold res on BOTH rings)

Lightning
104(gear) - 135 = -31 needed total on your 2 rings

Chaos
28(gear) - 60 (just to get to 0) -32 chaos res.

As you can see, the cold is a huge problem and the chaos would not allow you to run Blood rage effectively. I have -20 but I also have 1% life regen through the tree which still is not neutral with Blood Rage but close. I would not feel confident in running blood rage at all with your setup without both rings with chaos res on TOP of all the other res required.

Fifth, you end up with less life by 14% versus my original build. With this build only being around 4k life and the Crest of Perandus essentially canceling out the life on your and my amulet has life where yours would not leaving you around 3.7k life.

Sixth, you are only gaining essentially gain 10% block, 45% spell block, and the aegis es on block which is negligible with only 300 es, while losing a ton of damage, few hundred life, and requiring 6 levels higher. With the amulet slot essentially up to you, I could argue that you could use a Stone of Lazhwar and get 25% spell block without losing much health as my neck only really is life with a bit of all res. So lets assume you switched Stone in with my build you would only be gaining 10% block and 20% spell block for a huge cost and with the large DPS loss you would be far from offsetting any squish as you set out to do.

Sorry it was kind of lengthy and is no way was it meant as a jab. I tried to present the problems I saw with what you were thinking versus the tree you planned. Aegis is a great shield when used in the correct setup, 300 es without much armor is not that setup. Especially when Acrobatics offers a straight 30% dodge at the cost of like 500 armor (my setup). You are more then welcome to try something like it but the math just doesn't support what you are attempting to do in the build. Hope that helps and gl!

Last edited by MollariGaming on Jul 9, 2014, 6:43:14 PM
Let me address your points in the same order. I think that I do have some problems and my intent here is to work out some kinks.

1. I forgot to mention that I have a lvl 91 Shadow that I am considering respeccing at 1.2 into this build if I can work something out that I am happy with. I've got a month to test into higher levels to see if this interests me. The points for this build are not in a vacuum.

2. My goal at this stage was to fit Hatred, Determination, and Tempest Shield which left me with 18% of my mana. I have to admit that I am not very savvy with regard to mana leech numbers, as I have run very few physical damage characters. But assuming 550 mana, I'd only have 68 or so leech per second; I thought I'd have more, but did not realize that mana leech and life leech have different rates. This makes it so that I'd probably need to drop Tempest Shield, which makes the reservation nodes a bit less desirable, but I think still necessary if I want to run 60/60, which seems like a must if I want Aegis to do much for me.

3. I knew that I was taking a very sizable dps hit. However, your build does way, way more damage than is necessary for a great endgame build, and my intent is to try to even things out a bit with block, armor, and Aegis. I understand that this is a very different direction, but I think it is a worthy one.

4. You are totally right: Chaos resist is a problem. I may have to break down and make room for Heart of Oak to help fix the bad interaction with Blood Rage. I think that you are correct on this. The elemental resist issue is solvable with currency; I only need two solid fire and lightning resist rolls and three top cold resist rolls (not including possible ring implicits) between my rings and belt. This is very doable. Getting chaos in there is going to be an uphill battle, but the investment may be worth it to have some items like that anyhow.

5. It sucks to have less life with more points, but Flaying seems like the worst of the damage nodes and was the easiest cut among them. I may have to re-include Heart of Oak.

6. With Determination and my effectiveness nodes, I'll have about 7K armor; I have a high rolled Surgeon's Granite Flask of Iron Skin that puts me at about 14K. My Aegis will be giving me back 280 or over my max of approximately 500 with the flask up (after 100 or so from rings/belt and the shield defense nodes). I think of this as not a traditional Aegis build but like a double or triple strength Arctic Armor that works 63 block/47 Spell of the time, but works against everything. When you think about it like that, it looks a ton better. 7K armor also deals with the same problems that the Acrobatics node does, albeit in a less efficient way. I do like armor more than dodge in tandem with Bino's as well; the damage is less spiky and will play better with the regen, I think.

You've made some very important points, especially in pointing me to the mana leech issue and the difficulties I did not foresee with Blood Rage and my chaos resist.
I may abandon the Aegis part, but going back to Crest (or trying out Rathpith) with my spell block items and reintegrating Tempest shield and Vitality at the cost of Determination maintains my stated goals. I'm going to try the combo of Armor and Aegis first, as it costs me very little besides my jewelry investment to try it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback; you really went above and beyond. It helped a ton.
Doomed for Life
Last edited by SirDragos on Jul 10, 2014, 12:18:27 PM
"
SirDragos wrote:
Let me address your points in the same order. I think that I do have some problems and my intent here is to work out some kinks.

1. I forgot to mention that I have a lvl 91 Shadow that I am considering respeccing at 1.2 into this build if I can work something out that I am happy with. I've got a month to test into higher levels to see if this interests me. The points for this build are not in a vacuum.

2. My goal at this stage was to fit Hatred, Determination, and Tempest Shield which left me with 18% of my mana. I have to admit that I am not very savvy with regard to mana leech numbers, as I have run very few physical damage characters. But assuming 550 mana, I'd only have 68 or so leech per second; I thought I'd have more, but did not realize that mana leech and life leech have different rates. This makes it so that I'd probably need to drop Tempest Shield, which makes the reservation nodes a bit less desirable, but I think still necessary if I want to run 60/60, which seems like a must if I want Aegis to do much for me.

3. I knew that I was taking a very sizable dps hit. However, your build does way, way more damage than is necessary for a great endgame build, and my intent is to try to even things out a bit with block, armor, and Aegis. I understand that this is a very different direction, but I think it is a worthy one.

4. You are totally right: Chaos resist is a problem. I may have to break down and make room for Heart of Oak to help fix the bad interaction with Blood Rage. I think that you are correct on this. The elemental resist issue is solvable with currency; I only need two solid fire and lightning resist rolls and three top cold resist rolls (not including possible ring implicits) between my rings and belt. This is very doable. Getting chaos in there is going to be an uphill battle, but the investment may be worth it to have some items like that anyhow.

5. It sucks to have less life with more points, but Flaying seems like the worst of the damage nodes and was the easiest cut among them. I may have to re-include Heart of Oak.

6. With Determination and my effectiveness nodes, I'll have about 7K armor; I have a high rolled Surgeon's Granite Flask of Iron Skin that puts me at about 14K. My Aegis will be giving me back 280 or over my max of approximately 500 with the flask up (after 100 or so from rings/belt and the shield defense nodes). I think of this as not a traditional Aegis build but like a double or triple strength Arctic Armor that works 63 block/47 Spell of the time, but works against everything. When you think about it like that, it looks a ton better. 7K armor also deals with the same problems that the Acrobatics node does, albeit in a less efficient way. I do like armor more than dodge in tandem with Bino's as well; the damage is less spiky and will play better with the regen, I think.

You've made some very important points, especially in pointing me to the mana leech issue and the difficulties I did not foresee with Blood Rage and my chaos resist.
I may abandon the Aegis part, but going back to Crest (or trying out Rathpith) with my spell block items and reintegrating Tempest shield and Vitality at the cost of Determination maintains my stated goals. I'm going to try the combo of Armor and Aegis first, as it costs me very little besides my jewelry investment to try it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback; you really went above and beyond. It helped a ton.

1. Makes sense. There is such a wide range of player knowledge just wanted to make sure you were not expecting 96 to come quickly enough to plan a build that replies on such a high level.

2. http://fogz.mine.nu:8080/poe_reserved_calc/ - I did not create this but it is the mana reservation tool that I use when planning builds. It says updated 1.0.1 but there have not been any changes to auras that would effect the calcs at all. One thing I did not seen tp oint out with the 150 mana to run ms on mana, was that you can run it with only 2% mana leech . There is the Mind Drinker keystone for 1 point or try to include this in your ring. Now keep in mind this was with my DPS so you may need a combo of a ring and the keystone to compensate for the less physical damage but it should be very doable with 150ish mana.

3. Different strokes for different folks. I totally get that. Just trying to give as numerical a breakdown as possible and point out any potential problems I saw. I hope you see I was not trying to knock your variation at all.

4. NA

5. When running lower life, getting stunned can be a problem as it is based on your max life. Heart of the work is very valuable IMO even at 30% chance to avoid stun because it also has the 1% regen along with the 4% life.

6. 2x 60/60 is the "best" you would be able to do so the auras are completely up to you. The armor was not was I was that worried about, the ES was. You will have 400-500 ES. being your only ES comes from the shield and boots. Maybe you can get some more on a belt/rings but most aegis builds will get a lot more so how effective it is with that much ES is something I no clue about. You also mentioned switching in 2x 40/40 for a 60 and that probably would not work. It would leave you with 110 mana which I feel is too low.

Hopefully that information helps a bit and if you do go this route please do let me know how it works out. I tried to give my input it certain areas and just flat out say no idea in others. I have played this game for a few years and still am noGood luck!
Last edited by MollariGaming on Jul 10, 2014, 2:40:53 PM
Hi again, I am currently level 93 and going to stay that way for a while (going to be playing 1 month league) Got my HP to 4225 today (been running with 3780 or something for a while) when I upgraded my belt for something nice finally. I could still use a better ring and more HP on my amulet but it's nothing I would really need.
Next level I'll be taking the extra frenzy charge on the tree, I could take some more damage but it's really not needed. I am usually running maps with my guildmates and all their auras gets me well over 140K dps without vaal haste or atziri flask.

Here's my current gear
Spoiler

I've been kinda lucky with my vaal orbs on gems. Trying to 6L my other Voll's to vaal that and maybe get +1 to all gems there (but I know it's not going to happen).

If there is something your guide might take a look at, that would be The apex of sacrifice. How do you approach the three bosses? I am lost there. Tried to kill cycloner first, than the one that throws spikes and I can't get through the third no matter what, he just one shots me. The same when I leave the spike thrower last, 1 shot. Cycloner... I am not even going to try to kill him as the last one. Double vaal is no problem, they die really quickly. Apex itself is a joke with this build, mobs don't stande a chance. I've made it to atziri with my friend. Been there for the first time so I naturally died (pots gone and bleeding got me).
Other than that, no problem what so ever :) I avoid some bosses when I am in group, this build kind of relies on killing bosses as fast as possible, which in 6 man party is a problem.

Will be also saving up for Acuity now. It might be really expensive but they will be so good with this build! Straight upgrade from Maligaro's :)
kiwi nation
Last edited by Kujar3 on Jul 11, 2014, 6:28:21 PM
Just wanted to note that Lightning strike also is great skill for this build. Changed tree for it little bit. Went from point blank to shadows tree lightning dmg and change to shock.

Also gives opportunity play safer away from hard hitters in group play.

EDIT: or more crit or dmg what ever u prefer. Also is Crest of Perandus mandatory in ur opinion?
Last edited by K1kk0m4n on Jul 16, 2014, 8:21:55 AM
Hi, i'm really tempted to try out this build.

But i have a question:
what's your dps with 4L Volls?
I want to use 2 slots for IIQ and IIR.

Also: how does this build deal with magic damage? It does not have any spell block.
Last edited by OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on Jul 17, 2014, 2:05:28 AM
So I started this build for the new 1 month race to see how it is starting fresh with no gear, and I have to say I love this build so far even though I am only lvl 40. The one question I have though is if I cannot find a Bino's is there any alternative I can use that will give me good survivability in later harder maps?
"
Kujar3 wrote:
Hi again, I am currently level 93 and going to stay that way for a while (going to be playing 1 month league) Got my HP to 4225 today (been running with 3780 or something for a while) when I upgraded my belt for something nice finally. I could still use a better ring and more HP on my amulet but it's nothing I would really need.
Next level I'll be taking the extra frenzy charge on the tree, I could take some more damage but it's really not needed. I am usually running maps with my guildmates and all their auras gets me well over 140K dps without vaal haste or atziri flask.

Here's my current gear
Spoiler

I've been kinda lucky with my vaal orbs on gems. Trying to 6L my other Voll's to vaal that and maybe get +1 to all gems there (but I know it's not going to happen).

If there is something your guide might take a look at, that would be The apex of sacrifice. How do you approach the three bosses? I am lost there. Tried to kill cycloner first, than the one that throws spikes and I can't get through the third no matter what, he just one shots me. The same when I leave the spike thrower last, 1 shot. Cycloner... I am not even going to try to kill him as the last one. Double vaal is no problem, they die really quickly. Apex itself is a joke with this build, mobs don't stande a chance. I've made it to atziri with my friend. Been there for the first time so I naturally died (pots gone and bleeding got me).
Other than that, no problem what so ever :) I avoid some bosses when I am in group, this build kind of relies on killing bosses as fast as possible, which in 6 man party is a problem.

Will be also saving up for Acuity now. It might be really expensive but they will be so good with this build! Straight upgrade from Maligaro's :)

Acuity is a huge bonus for this spec if you feel you need/want it and can afford it. It will go a long way in helping you survive when you are close to/at crit cap. It is quite expensive so not everyone can afford it.

For the trio I kite the 2 melee into a corner then pop vaal haste and go to town on the titty bitch. After she is dead i will focus on the one that DOESN'T cyclone (can't remember the names) and just make sure that you do not go to town with him being red. Then use vaal grace on the cyclone and shouldn't be terrible.

"
K1kk0m4n wrote:
Just wanted to note that Lightning strike also is great skill for this build. Changed tree for it little bit. Went from point blank to shadows tree lightning dmg and change to shock.

Also gives opportunity play safer away from hard hitters in group play.

EDIT: or more crit or dmg what ever u prefer. Also is Crest of Perandus mandatory in ur opinion?

You can switch in Lightning Strike if the boss calls for it. You can also switch in Life Gain on Hit if you want to continue to use Molten Strike. Exactly how you go about tackling each boss with your group is up to you but you do have a few options.

The crest is not NEEDED but when block negates 100% of an attack, having the shield with the highest block chance is wonderful. It has a solid life roll, even a little regen to help with Blood Rage, some lightning res, and even some leech. It is a very solid shield for this build but is not required but is highly recommended.

"
Hi, i'm really tempted to try out this build.

But i have a question:
what's your dps with 4L Volls?
I want to use 2 slots for IIQ and IIR.

Also: how does this build deal with magic damage? It does not have any spell block.

I would not recommend this build for a magic find character. 4L would lose about 50-60k dps at least. Magic damage is dealt with though the quickness it clears mobs and keeping that Bino's Regen going.

"
Dkbballer1 wrote:
So I started this build for the new 1 month race to see how it is starting fresh with no gear, and I have to say I love this build so far even though I am only lvl 40. The one question I have though is if I cannot find a Bino's is there any alternative I can use that will give me good survivability in later harder maps?

The build is strong leveling because the daggers (ungil's/mightflay) are really solid until low 50s. That is where it can become a problem finding a budget dagger to last until Bino's. Bino's is what makes this variation of the build work as you sacrifice survivability in the tree based on the assumption of keeping the Bino's Regen up. You can definitely make changes to the build to add tankiness but at the sacrifice of DPS. How you go about doing that would be up to you but I would HIGHLY recommend Bino's.

--------------------------

Sorry been playing the 1M and RL and stuff so I think I answered all the questions that came up over the last week or so. Let me know if you have anymore! There have been multiple confirmed normal Atziri kills from other people using this build and the feedback has been wonderful! Goodluck!
Last edited by MollariGaming on Jul 18, 2014, 10:40:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info