Tanky and affordable quill rain CoC! (Updated to 1.2.0)

Hey, I followed your route but started as a scion cause I think it would be better for the crit/attack speed on the passive earlier on(so you can start the build at a lower level perhaps?) what do you think?
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAAdwDHgOWBfkGIwixDjwOSBRSFfAWvxv6H0EhdiImIuoj9iT9Jd8mlSmlKgsx-jIBNCA2PTboOdQ6UjsoPs8__EZpR35Nkk4qUUdVS1b6WK9aGluvXfJgQ2HiYqxjQ2VNapNsjG1sbj1uaW-eb_JwUnDVdvd313gNgwmE2YUOhs6J04wLjDaNfZAKmyabtZ2qn8ugn6Gko4qkGaXLshm1SLZBuXy9gb3mvoq-p8APwTPDOspKz3rSTdXt3Q3h2-dU53ToZujW6xTssO4O8-r5Y_zF_94=
"
"
MauranKilom wrote:
Glad you're having fun Noradne :)
Plus, what are you gonna do with that 5l weapon if you get one?

Dual curse with windscreams!
Those boots are not so bad and anyway it's decent armor piece as you usually need one for RRRR (unless you get very lucky with an evasion chrom roll).

I've been doing split arrow-chain-coh-assassin's mark-temp chains on my ranger. If you want frenzy charges (12% is not so much of a big deal though) you can do assassin's and poachers, less evasion on targets, more life/mana on hit and more flask charges.
Split chain is also way cheaper in mana for those who moved away from thief's torment.

Well, I don't think I can afford to use windscreams since that would block yet another gear slot with a unique that has basically no resists. How are you dealing with your resistances?

Have you considered running warlord's mark instead of poacher's or temp chains (and getting vaal pact)? I figure it would make you near immune to reflect, and imo that's one of the few weaknesses of the build...

R3then:
You only get 100% increased life on your tree. You'll sit on maybe 3k life (if you get good life rolls on gear). In my experience, getting more crit (= more dps) is far less important in endgame than having more life for this build. Indeed, you might be able to start earlier, but I'm not sure if sacrificing your endgame is worth it...
Last edited by MauranKilom on Oct 29, 2014, 10:21:57 PM
Well I'm now playing a cyclone templar Coc, super fun so far, but my ranger was using this gear:

Spoiler

A bit different from your build. I use purity of fire, grace and 1 herald, stopped just before herald of thunder got out. Res are like 79/76/75. Other gems are just fillers in case i need to change stuff.
I found thief's torment was a bit overkill on regen, with the shitload of damage we do, doryani does the work.
Barrage is really not mana hungry, so +2 mana/hit corrupted ring is usually enough.

I lose 50% more damage from not having chain (3*50%=150%) but i do more damage vs bosses when adds are dead. With 2 rings and a chest piece, not hard to fill the resists. And windscream has 15% all still. Chest piece can be anything, i tried queen of the forest cause i'm not running iron reflexes, i prefer ondar/acrobatics. You can also get other stats on rings then like crit/multi accuracy life...

The gear is a bit more expensive than tabula quill thief. That's how I started too after reading your build and it was awesome, but I think the new setup is an upgrade, a bit more expensive but nothing op, jewelry is still quite bad, can't afford 6l...
Although i'm glad I bought my windripper at 7.5ex, the price has tripled lately ^^.

If you don't like windscream you could get the ring or a corrupted amulet.

And for warlord, i use it on my Coc cycloner (very mana hungry...) and i'm indeed immune to reflect whenever i use my atziri flask. I have no leech on gear with him, so with 1 or 2% from gear + warlord you could maybe not need the flask. But you need vaal pact. If you don't have vaal pact it's useless if you shoot too fast you'll still die.
When i mean i'm immune i mean i can deal with the reflect mobs in regular map. Not that i'd want to do reflect maps (would require more leech, huge amount if you meet reflect pack in reflect map or acuity...).
Last edited by Squirrel_of_doom on Oct 30, 2014, 5:35:15 AM
"
The gear is a bit more expensive than tabula quill thief. That's how I started too after reading your build and it was awesome, but I think the new setup is an upgrade.

That's a good summary of this build :)
You can safely start your bow CoC with a quill rain following this build and then switch to what you like once you have acquired enough currency to do so.
Lol I just assembled this build 6lined Tabula at lvl 34

Shit is crazy fun :D
want advice on this tree setup

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAF4B3AMeBbUF-QYjCC4IsQ48DkgUUhXwFr8Zjhv6H0EhdiP2JP0l3yaVKaUqCzBxMfoyATWSNj026DnUOkI6Uj7PP_xCo0ZpR35KfUt4TZJOKlFHVUtW-livWhpbr13yYeJirGNDZU1noGqTbIxtbG5pb_JwUnDVdvd313gNfyuE2YbOh3aJ04wLjDaNfZAKmyabjZ2qn8ugn6Gko4qkGaXLqW6v67IZtUi18rZBuXy9gb3mvoq-p8APwTPPetJN037UI9Xt1orYvd0N3ajh2-dU53ToZujW6xTssO2D7g7vevPq-WP8xf_e

idk... i figured for even more survivability... and only a few nodes away why not just grab the acrobatics nodes n ondar... unless they arnt needed? if u remove unwaver ofc (forgot to)

idk i dont feel ranger gets stunned often (if ever)... lot of the builds i follow i never take the waver from their build... am i hindering myself?
I'm running acro/ondar and i feel it's good too.

You need to drop unwavering and iron reflexes, and while you're at it drop everything related to armor so stop at king of the hill.
Take true strike to replace eagle eye. Heart of oak, hired killer for more life. Or go to life wheel through reflexes/sentinel.
With all the points saved you can also go way deeper in shadow area.

Another optimization is to get ballistic mastery through projectile damage (all our spells are projectiles). Connect ondar to acrobatics by the shortest path and drop all the dex nodes for the inner path (cost like 2/3 more points for a lot of projectile damage added).

Frenzy charges are quite meh in my opinion. Not worth the points as it's really just a conditional 5% atk speed in this build.

My ranger 88 tree for an example of ondar version, maybe a bit light on life.

Passive skill tree build
dont you want to be careful tho going for so much dmg? because of reflect ofc... idk if its not important or not... just being cautious
1% leech on belt slows reflect down and I run 2 eternal flask for 2400hp/4sec each, 3 uses. I use them regularly as soon as I see life drop, never really wasted as they have a surgeon prefix. So if reflect is slow you have like 10k+ hp buffer to realize the issue and stop shooting. Also got a ruby flask and you could run sapphire too. Usually you don't die instantly.

Only really died to reflect because I wasn't paying attention or because it was burrowed stuff so when you really can't see the aura. Was more of a problem on my melee character.

But yeah at some point it's a matter of preference. There are a lot of life cluster quite close there if you want more life and less damage. I was just pointing some obvious improvement for an evasion based tree.

I also don't play hardcore. I don't think Coc build are good for hardcore anyway as you can't really spend much points in defense.
Last edited by Squirrel_of_doom on Nov 6, 2014, 8:39:49 AM
thts why im "softcore" cx

ill probably go more dmg but some life as well.... balance :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info