So.. if you can alt f4 and disconnect out and avoid death, is hardcore really hardcore?

I feel like relatively few people that die in HC are dying to things that give them enough time to alt+f4 out of. Maybe it would save you from being permafrozen by Hailrake at level 4, but it doesn't really do a whole lot against one-shots.
ign: weaklygdlk
"Charge chicken is dangerous, they are master of killing me." - fasknifer
I'd say because you run into things that you absolutely cannot kill with no warning.

i.e. lets say you're playing a physical damage character, with a melee, with a ranged weapon, doesn't matter. You're doing a high level map, and run into a rare mob that reflects physical plus whatever other mods it has. Since you're pure physical, aside from maybe some minor elemental damage your gear may provide, you run a chance of basically one-shotting yourself on the mob which you may encounter very quickly (such as coming around a corner) without seeing the physical reflect mod before you've launched an attack.

In a situation like that I'd certainly alt-f4 or exit game via the menu asap. Now if you haven't attacked it yet, you could risk kiting around it and attempting to "skip" it and finish the rest of the map but now you also have an extra mob to dodge who's basically unkillable without killing yourself.

In my opinion.
It's pretty funny that people want the game to be old school and "hard" with no re-specs, but for some reason alt+f4 is fine :)
"I think op is a hyppocrite something tells me that he hasnt a char that passed normal.... Go get a highlvl and we can talk again"

Level 44 Mar default, no ranged or aoe except leap, all strength skills, all self found gear, Cruel Act 2. What would it even matter what level or wear in the game I am? I just asked a question, and expressed that I think DC to avoid death is an exploit (it is) and I would like it formalized or disallowed, whatever GGG wants. Not what I want, btw - I am fine with what other people do, I just would not do it and I would not take ladder results as seriously as I would were there a penalty when you DC to avoid death.
From my experience hardcore is still hardcore if you ask.
ign: Krowa_IX HC | RacingCow races
"
LennyLen wrote:
"
WhiskeyDex wrote:
No making a town portal during a boss fight is another great idea.

In Diablo-like games where you can fill your inventory with pots, sure. But in PoE when your flasks run out mid-fight and you have no way of recharging them, not so much.

The pots in D3 behaved so different. They had a cool down timer and could never grant instant heal. Those are 2 HUGE differences from the potion system in PoE.

See the way i would like the game to be is, once in a boss-fight it is kill or be killed. If you ran out of pots during the fight you were unprepared and deserve a death. Anything less is not hardcore.
"
WhiskeyDex wrote:
See the way i would like the game to be is, once in a boss-fight it is kill or be killed. If you ran out of pots during the fight you were unprepared and deserve a death. Anything less is not hardcore.

I don't know if I can put myself in a position to answer this but I think that majority gamers take what's available.
Sure you can have higher standards that 99% of the pool but most don't really care. Proof? Kripp played D3 hc where you had "one life" during a boss fight. Why does he play PoE then if it's "easier" in that aspect? Because that's how the devs made it and there's still enough challenges to keep him playing.
To sum up I think that majority of the current hc players would stay on hc if(when?) they removed portals during boss fights or insta-logout. I know I definately would and while I'm not crying for making the game harder I wouldn't mind it at all.
If playing the game scared, outleveling content and only being penalized by being moved to a different league is hardcore I think you have a weird definition of hardcore to begin with~.

I mean playing on hardcore is fun but it isn't really hardcore the way most use the word.
"
WhiskeyDex wrote:
"
LennyLen wrote:
"
WhiskeyDex wrote:
No making a town portal during a boss fight is another great idea.

In Diablo-like games where you can fill your inventory with pots, sure. But in PoE when your flasks run out mid-fight and you have no way of recharging them, not so much.

The pots in D3 behaved so different. They had a cool down timer and could never grant instant heal. Those are 2 HUGE differences from the potion system in PoE.

I didn't know that. I still haven't played D3 yet.
"
EnderCN wrote:
If playing the game scared, outleveling content and only being penalized by being moved to a different league is hardcore I think you have a weird definition of hardcore to begin with~.

I mean playing on hardcore is fun but it isn't really hardcore the way most use the word.

I agree but read my post just above yours. We take what's available, right? I just got in from open beta but there were hc races and the whole "events" tab on the website suggest more challenging ladders/races in the future.

I played my first playthrough-normal solo and I had no idea you can tp from bosses... I fought Oak for 30 minutes because I had to abuse tent edges to shoot rain arrow otherwise he raped me. And moving to default is great but I think that still rarely anybody uses it. I died 4 times and restarted hc asap.

Plus the log out helps for all the decsync/getting stuck stuff which happens pretty often.

I don't know but maybe ladder name should be changed to "hard" or "harder" or "expert"? No, I think some gamers still would get offended by the relative easiness compared to their average C64 game difficulty.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info