Rebalancing Internal Unique Item Rarities (Locked June 16)

This is my suggestion

Problem
Leveling uniques don't drop when they are needed the most and make player excited.
Leveling uniques drop too often at high levels when player reaction to them is "that shit again, I can't even get excited by a sound of unique drop anymore".

Shiversting is a good example. If it drop at level 14 or 20, it's very cool and impactful. If it drops at level 40 or later, it's a meh vendor trash or at most stash-for-reroll item.

My understanding of current mechanics of unique drops
At first, it is decided if unique item is dropped.
Every unique item has a weight. A random draw decide which unique from a pool of uniques available at given itemlevel is dropped.
I base my suggestion on this assumption.

Not working solution
Due to smaller unique pool at level 14 Shiversting drops more often at level 14 than at level 60. This is not true! It still drops more often at level 60 because of more monsters killed per minute and more mf on characters.
Flat increase of unique item drop chance at lower levels may work, but it's not a real solution.

Proposal
Add an additional coefficient and multiply weight by it before random draw.
This coefficient = 1 if unique minimum itemlevel equals drop itemlevel. It gets lower with increase of a difference between drop itemlevel and unique minimum itemlevel.
Use function similar to used for experience and currency drop penalty, but with different values being compared.

Additional thougth
This can make desirable uniques like 6s searing touch drop less often.
You may want to add an additional flag for "always desirable uniqes" and make them ignore proposed coefficient. Or up it's itemlevel like you made for andvarius.
I think, though, that 6s searing touch should not be available at level 13 at all, 6s should make level requirement to wear an item = 50.
But this is another problem: the best items for leveling (4L, 5L, 6L low level items) can only be obtained through trading, but not as drops.
prices will drop :)

More variety of unique drops is definately a MUST.
I would even like less unique drop but with more variety that getting spam of common shit..

Thanks for his coming update.
IGN TylordRampage
Last edited by Malone on May 16, 2014, 4:55:45 AM
OMG, SotS is going to be 20% more common? Am I the only one worried about how this will affect overall gameplay and build diversity as a whole? Still, if it means more fishermen, I guess I'm for it. <3
How would this not drop the prices of rare uniques?

I've never dropped any of the best uniques (nor do I own any of them) but I also do not want it to become easier. I like the trophy feel of obtaining a certain unique (either from drops or trades). I also like people having to take alternative routes or builds that may be less effective (but still effective) without these powerful unique items. I don't want a lot of people running around with it.

I don't like the changes.
aleluya!

you just needed a year and a half and tons of people leaving to notice it!

umm maybe sometime you will notice there are a lot of people out there who wants a fair solo selfound league?
Oh boy, an increase of 20% for the 0% drop rates!

Yeah nah they still won't drop at all. Hell, the chests with +1900% increased rarity still don't drop rares.
This is amazing GGG,thank you for this,i usually play with just on other person and most of the time alone,this will be greatly appreciated by many people i'm sure,cuz the chance to find better uniques even if it's not the one they need,will greatly improve the gameplay experience and the trading as well,i for one will be making much more characters,experience all kinds of builds i never though before to make cuz of the so many exalts needed to upgrade my gear for end game mapping.
Not saying it will get easier,but the chance is there,i usually focus on one build and stay with it and play a lot as well.It's so easy to level up with different characters,but not so many are viable in end game mapping and i for one never had the chance to do test my other's character's full potential cuz i could not afford to upgrade it.
I think we get a better chance to even spend more time playing the game,but also improve the quality of rewarding us while doing so.
And not to worry about prices going down by a bit,for some people selling tens of exalts worth of gear is not so easy anyways,cuz of the rest who do not have the luck finding something good to trade or sell it will be a long road and in the end u do get some frustrated people,both sides.

So thank you,hugs Mina
Always be good to others you gain nothing by being mean!
I just hope that doesnt mean cool uniques like Binos or other rare uniques dont get nerfed because too many people have those items then.
"
Alhoon wrote:
"
Mahesys wrote:
"
Chris wrote:

At the moment (in 1.1.3b), most of the uniques that players find are common. You'll occasionally find uncommon uniques but it's honestly pretty hard for casual players to find the rarer uniques.

Of course. Again another change to cater casual players.

When will those players stop ruining games? Diablo3 wasn't enough?

+1

Better that another change to cater to traders. When traders stops ruining games? Vanilla D3 and PoE wasn't enough?
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
You forgot the main tier - worthless dumpster uniques that drops 90% of the time and goes to vendor instantly.
alt art shop view-thread/1195695
t.me/jstqw for contact

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info