[1.2] 'Say hello to my little friend' 40K Puncture/28K LMP Lightning Arrow

Say hello to my little friend
The Crit Pierce Lightning Arrow Shotgun, mob crushing Ranger. 40K Puncture and 28K LMP Lightning Arrow with 100% Pierce and no requirement for Power or Frenzy Charges.

People say that crit Tornado shot is OP, they say it is the only bow skill worthwhile for clearing mobs. I am here to tell you that you have been lied to. Crit Pierce Lightning Arrow is equally as devastating if not more so.

There is nothing more fun than massacring entire mobs of monsters, the power you feel, the enjoyment of mass destruction, it is after all the reason we all play this game,well that and sweet sweet loots. This is exactly what this build is about, destroying large numbers of monsters as quickly as possible, preferably in one hit.

This build is also incredibly survivable, laugh as enemies swing their clumsy weapons, dodging out of the way without a scratch. Destroying maps solo, with ease, and contributing significant damage to party maps.

Character Basics
1. Get Drillneck
2. Get High DPS high Crit bow, 300pDPS 8+ Crit Chance Harbinger
3. Massacre all who stand in front of you.

Step three is accomplished in two ways.

Multi Target Lightning Arrow. By combining lightning arrow with lesser multiple projectiles and 100% pierce chance you can wipe out an entire mob of enemies with one shot. For each monster that is directly struck by one of the three lightning arrows you fire, up to three more monsters receive hits. If a group of four monsters stands in front of you, it is possible that your piercing lightning arrows hit each of them with a direct strike, each direct strike is followed by three indirect lightning strikes. Meaning a single shot fired hits this mob 16 times. BOOM! Watch as everything in front of you disappears.

Single Target Puncture for massive damage over time, ability to hit and then kite a target to watch it bleed out.

Gameplay Video's
Spoiler

74 Gorge Map Video
http://youtu.be/S9hcCQP5q_g

75 Plateau Map Video
http://youtu.be/gGGcXwuQx54

78 Courtyard Map Video
http://youtu.be/BpiYnwmBWQc

Character Sheet Screenshots
Offensive Screenshots
32K LA
Spoiler

68K Frenzy
Spoiler

Pro's
Spoiler
- Easy to play
- Fun to play, 1-2 hit white mobs
- Great Sustained Damage against Bosses
- Excellent survivability
- Relatively cheap, relies on only one unique
- Great Map ability

Con's
Spoiler
- Can occasionally 1 hit yourself against elemental reflect mobs
- Weak against chaos with my current gear

Passive Tree's 1.2.X Latest Tree Level 92

Leveling Passive Tree's

Deal With Bandits
Spoiler
Normal - Oak + 40 Health
Cruel - Oak + 18% Physical Damage
Merciless - Kill All + Skill Point

28K LA Multi Target Damage *1.2 DPS need to take new screenshots*
Spoiler

4L - Lightning Arrow - Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Increased Projectile Physical Damage - Pierce
5L - Lightning Arrow - Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Increased Projectile Physical Damage - Pierce - Increased Critical Damage
6L - Lightning Arrow - Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Increased Projectile Physical Damage - Pierce - Increased Critical Damage - Added Fire Damage

Self Buffed DPS with 6L lvl 20 Lightning Arrow, no charges = 28K
Self Buffed DPS with 6L lvl 20 Lightning Arrow + Atziri Flask = 33K

40K Single Target Puncture
Spoiler
Puncture
Need to update this for Puncture

Aura's
Spoiler
Hatred, Herald of Ash and Herald of Ice

Survivability
Spoiler
I currently have all maxed elemental resist
With Acrobatics, and Phase Acrobatics + Atziri's Step + 40% Chance to Dodge Attacks + 46% chance to dodge spells.
With my current gear I have an evasion chance of 40% , with Ondar's Guile that's 80% chance to dodge projectiles, added to the 40% chance to dodge attacks you have around a 12% chance of taking a hit from any ranged attack.

Beware Chaos Damage Clouds, these are your biggest threat, chaos archers and chaos snakes are no problem for you due to your 2% chance of taking ranged attack damage.

I have changed from Daresso's Defiance to belly of the beast as it allows me to save 8 points which previously went to life. It also has a small amount of all Ele Resist which helps you reach cap.

Mapability
Spoiler

Awesome mapability, can solo all maps, all bosses. Have the ability of contributing solid aura's to any part group.

Elemental Reflect can be a little problematic, but if you simply change Lightning Arrow to Frenzy, or put Life Gain on Hit into your lightning arrow attack then these maps are easy.
Elemental Weakness, Vulnerability and Reduced Resist + Ele Reflect are about the only maps you can't do.
Fine to do maps with small amounts of chaos damage taken over time.

Defensive Skills
Spoiler
I also run CWDT - Immortal Call - Increased Duration - Enfeeble, this means when I do take a hit I have a good 2-3 second where I can't take physical damage enabling the smashing of pots and leech recovery back 100% ready to take another hit. Molten shell also lasts an incredibly long time with increased duration. Enfeeble means you're less likely to take a second hit and if you do it will be much less powerful.

Gear
Spoiler
Current Gear
Spoiler

Around 40 Exalted worth.

Budget Gear
Spoiler
This build would work fine with a 5L Rare Chest, you'll simply give up around 30% damage on LA, which is not the end of the world.
You can also use a rare Quiver with Pierce Change, Phys Damage, Crit Multi and Crit Chance. This would provide you with a very good alternative to drillneck. Would possible to build this for around 15Exalted.

Old Gear
Spoiler
Spoiler
Drillneck (Required for all builds) cost 13 ex

**Unfortunately there is no cheap option for this build anymore due to increase in cost of drillneck** 15ex Total Build Cost
Spoiler
Atziri Step (required) cost 5 chaos

34 ex Total Build

My Old Gear (30 Exalted Build)
Spoiler

Drillneck 3 Exalted

High Phys DPS Bow 2.5 Exalted + 1 Exalted to add extra affix

Rats Nest 1 Exalted

Corrupted Atziri Step with +1 Frenzy Charge 2.5 Exalted

Daresso's Defiance 20 Exalted

Doryani's Invitation 1 Exalted

The Rest 1 Exalted

Failed Experiments
Spoiler
Iron Reflexes - I gave IR a go while I was leveling, it worked great from 30-60 however as soon as I started mapping I began to run into difficulties, was taking way too much damage. Acrobatics + Phase Acrobatics + High evade works way better

Iron Grip - I tried going all the way over to Iron Grip, stacking on as much strength as I could, but it barely had any affect on the damage output. Save yourself the points and use them in more effective places.

Darkray Vectors - I thought that having 8 Frenzy charges coupled with the + 16 chance to dodge attacks would be a huge buff, it wasn't. The 50% reduced Frenzy charge duration is pretty annoying, and your movement speed is pathetic when you don't have charges. You're far better off with Atziri's Step +16% chance to evade spells and +30% movement speed.

Please let me know your thoughts I would be interested to know where people think I can improve this build.

If you like this Ranger, here is my super cheap Atziri Capable Witch build.
Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1024272

Last edited by AngryCustard on Nov 30, 2014, 11:24:04 PM
A few thoughts for you.

You didn't grab Ondar's Guile in the skill tree. You really should take this skill as it is like having a shield against any form of projectile attack.

You don't have any spell block on your gear. Since you chose Iron Reflexes you only have protection against physical damage.

I assume you are trying to link up your bow as there is a lot of wasted potential from not having 5+ links there.

I don't think 11K armor is better than Acrobatics + Phase acrobatics + Evasion. I'm not sure what the philosophy is on why some builds still use Iron Reflexes for Bow Rangers.

You used 4 skill points to take Iron Grip. I assume there is something else you want in the tree to justify using those points.

I like how you are maximizing shock with increased duration and the Drillneck and you have given me some ideas.

Anyway good effort, but I think you need to beef up some for higher maps.

Without Drillneck chain would be better? Im looking for some ranger bow build and this looks interesting but i dont have yet this quiver.
crazy bow!
@Burning_throw
Dual strike guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/911087
You should also add some section with defensive gems like CWDT, what curse you using etc.
"
Skywalkerfx wrote:
A few thoughts for you.

You didn't grab Ondar's Guile in the skill tree. You really should take this skill as it is like having a shield against any form of projectile attack.

You don't have any spell block on your gear. Since you chose Iron Reflexes you only have protection against physical damage.

I assume you are trying to link up your bow as there is a lot of wasted potential from not having 5+ links there.

I don't think 11K armor is better than Acrobatics + Phase acrobatics + Evasion. I'm not sure what the philosophy is on why some builds still use Iron Reflexes for Bow Rangers.

You used 4 skill points to take Iron Grip. I assume there is something else you want in the tree to justify using those points.

I like how you are maximizing shock with increased duration and the Drillneck and you have given me some ideas.

Anyway good effort, but I think you need to beef up some for higher maps.

Thanks mate for the advice, I am going to respec the build to include acrobatics and phase acro. I'll also unspec out of irongrip and ironreflexes. This will allow me to have 100% chance to evade projectiles when adding ondar's guile.

I'll also add in Darkray vectors which will allow me to have a maximum of 8 Frenzy charges, each frenzy charge adds 2% chance to dodge. I'll also add Daresso's Defiance which adds another 6% chance to dodge, taking my total chance to dodge attacks when at full frenzy to 62% with 30% chance to dodge spells.

I'll update the skill tree's and gear in the main post tonight.
Last edited by AngryCustard on May 5, 2014, 11:48:05 PM
Build Updated,

Seriously more survivable and map able.

Will try and take a recording of some gameplay tonight.
Thanks for posting this. I am presently leveling a Ranger to take advantage of this build and I will check in again once I hit 60. The information in this thread has really helped make my Ranger more survivable to this point, so thanks for that :).
"
hjerk1782 wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I am presently leveling a Ranger to take advantage of this build and I will check in again once I hit 60. The information in this thread has really helped make my Ranger more survivable to this point, so thanks for that :).

Thanks for the comments.

I have just updated the build, to include some cheaper gear that overall provides for awesome survive.
Just so you know, there is no such thing as 100% chance to evade, even with Ondar's. And Dodge checks first and is separate. Evasion is capped at 95%, which would happen when your chance to evade a mob is 47.5% or more. In that scenario, you would have a 60% chance of being hit (first roll - Dodge check) to which it would then check your Evasion at a 5% chance to be hit - 3% (.6*.05) on average you'd still be hit by 3% of ranged attacks.

Any extra Dodge from Daresso's or Darkray's goes in the first part of the Dodge calculation, reducing the 60% you'd get hit.

My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
Last edited by Asidra on May 20, 2014, 11:12:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info