[1.2] 'Say hello to my little friend' 40K Puncture/28K LMP Lightning Arrow

"
Asag wrote:
Why no more nodes with phys/crit and deadly draw in your build?

Good question, basically to get a decent crit chance you need to spend 12 skill points, Deadly Draw, Lethality, Blood Thirst & Assassination + some of the smaller nodes. Those 12 points I have chosen to spend on aura/more physical damage nodes + life. Deadly draw does offer you some physical damage increase, but you're better off taking Talon's of Murder for the same number of points you get the same ammount of physical damage increase but you gain extra life.

My crit chance is 5%, which is the base chance for most bows. It is incredibly difficult/expensive to get a bow with over 300phys dps and over 7% crit chance. Expect to spend 10+ exalt. Even with Deadly Draw, Lethality, Blood Thirst & Assassination which increases your crit chance 370%, with a 5% base crit bow your crit chance is only 23.5% and you'll have had to lose a lot of life/base physical damage. I don't want my damage to be dependent on a 1 in 5 chance of getting a crit. My DPS is constant and I know exactly what I am getting, if I get a crit I count it as lucky.
I have just 'cleared' all of my skill gems. Have taken a pretty severe hit to my DPS in the short term. Once they get back to around the level 15mark I should start to see a pretty nice bump in DPS especially on my frenzy. Hoping to see it hit 25K self buffed.
Re-Leveling my Gems is going well after making them all Q20. Currently have most back up to level 16-17, have started to see a nice DPS boost.

Lightning arrow is now over 6K making it around 25K against mobs.

Frenzy is now 22K, when I have Q20 lvl20 Gems I think this will hit 30KDPS self buffed with hatred only.

Have re-written the intro to the guide. In the coming days I will re-write the rest, re-record game play video's and post up new stat pics. As I now have over 4K life.
"
AngryCustard wrote:
My crit chance is 5%, which is the base chance for most bows. It is incredibly difficult/expensive to get a bow with over 300phys dps and over 7% crit chance. Expect to spend 10+ exalt. Even with Deadly Draw, Lethality, Blood Thirst & Assassination which increases your crit chance 370%, with a 5% base crit bow your crit chance is only 23.5% and you'll have had to lose a lot of life/base physical damage. I don't want my damage to be dependent on a 1 in 5 chance of getting a crit. My DPS is constant and I know exactly what I am getting, if I get a crit I count it as lucky.

I seem to clear much faster after dropping the aura clusters, running Wrath only and picking up all the crit nodes. I'm at 50% chance on Lioneye's, so the shock stacking is pretty consistent and enough base physical damage for sustaining good mana leech.
"
feyith wrote:
"
AngryCustard wrote:

I seem to clear much faster after dropping the aura clusters, running Wrath only and picking up all the crit nodes. I'm at 50% chance on Lioneye's, so the shock stacking is pretty consistent and enough base physical damage for sustaining good mana leech.

I would be interested to see your tree, and your gear, 50% chance is pretty solid.
I rerouted your build a little bit to what mine would probably be if I soloed. (I have Nullification and Crit Multiplier instead of Acrobatics and Life nodes.)

Gear:

Spoiler

Power Charges generated by Weapon Switch:

It's not cheap by any means, but I was running dual Harbingers and self-found/crafted rare gear before that.
Running maps with Feyith is like playing with someone with multiple personality disorder. One second there are split arrow's proc'ing EK's. And the next second Barrages proc'ing Arcs. I am always so confused. I finally gave up trying to figure out what was going on over there, and just being happy everything is dying so fast.
My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
Haha! That stupid personality disorder keeps me from leveling because I'm always forum trolling and build testing. I think the other day I was trying out Chain + LMP + Fireball in response to some back and forth you had with a newbie in another thread.

I think I've finally narrowed it down to a system that I am quite happy with:
* Barrage/Arc/EK spam as main attack against groups.
* Lightning Arrow for those pesky "Allies Cannot Die" packs.
* Puncture with Lioneye's for bosses and Elemental Reflect.
* Puncture with Windripper for Physical Reflect.

By the way, Centauri got some Thunderfists and came up with a really cool way to make the Voltaxic Rift work with LA and Barrage, so our next project is to get a Drillneck.
I've been considering Crit for the last few days and here are my thoughts.

Crit is only going to be worthwhile for this build if you have a bow with over 350DPS and Crit Chance of over 7%.

- To add crit you need to take a hit to life & or aura's
- Losing Aura nodes means you take a massive hit to damage from the loss/downgrade of hatred
- Losing Aura nodes makes it hard to run more than one aura
- Losing life makes you significantly less survivable, currently at 4.1K life and hoping to reach 4.5K, losing life nodes will dramatically reduce this

At 5% Base Crit Chance
- 200% Increase Crit Chance = 15% chance to crit
- 300% Increase Crit Chance = 20% chance to crit
- 400% Increase Crit Chance = 25% chance to crit
- 500% Increase Crit Chance = 30% chance to crit

500% crit chance is where a bow at 5% base begins to gain benefit from Crit. around 1 in 3 chance to crit. This problem is in order to get this, you have to sacrifice phys damage, aura nodes and life/evasion nodes. Turning your character into one which is less useful in parties, harder to play solo, and significantly more squishy.

At 7.5% Base Crit Chance
- 200% Increase Crit Chance = 22.5% chance to crit
- 300% Increase Crit Chance = 30% chance to crit
- 400% Increase Crit Chance = 37.5% chance to crit
- 500% Increase Crit Chance = 45% chance to crit

A bow with 7.5% base Crit Chance reaches the 30% mark at only 300% crit chance. This can very easily be achieved with no loss to aura or life nodes. My goal is find/craft/buy a 350+ Phys DPS with over 7.5% Crit Chance. This will dramatically increase the damage of this build while maintaining the survivability and party ability.
I am not sure where you get 30% from as your baseline, but I don't agree with it at all and it seems pretty arbitrary. Your DPS will increase a ton just going from 10 > 20%. Crit Chance/Multi is the highest damage scaler in the game. While, yes, it snowballs incrementally on top of itself, it's still generally more potent in smaller quantities on the tree that other options as well. As an example, I play a non crit Lioneye's Build, and on the tree a 25 crit multi multi node gives me more dps than an 8% projectile, even though I only have 9% chance to crit. An amulet with crit chance on top of flat physical gives me double the DPS as one with just the physical damage roll.

On your tree right now, just to test - remove the talons of murder ones and add either the Pressure Points or Assassination trio - they will impact your DPS more. And that "more" gets bigger the more crit chance and multi you have.

And since Lightning Arrow gets even a bigger bump because crits shock - you generally want to get the potent crit nodes that are at least in your way, as they will give you more DPS than any other tree elections.
My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info