[Official] WINE info thread

"
StormHUN wrote:
"
mathw wrote:

Ok, just some of observations:
1- the correct variable should be PROTON_USE_WINED3D, setting PROTON_USE_WINE3D shouldn't do anything at all

Well, catch this then:

I did some experimenting, and here is the result:

No launch options:
- Long loading times
- Tons of lag
- Very frequent crashes

All the options from above:
- Very long loading times
- Very little lag
- Very rare crashes

Only PROTON_USE_WINE3D:
- Medium loading times
- Very little to no lag
- No crashes so far

So things are completely stable on your end right now? Trying those launch flags did make it stop crashing for me for a few days, but then last night it started again just as bad as without them.

"
StormHUN wrote:

"
But then again, if you set the wrong variable this should have no effect and you're still using DXVK.

I tried adding the missing D. The result was extremely long loading times, so much so that it took 4 tries to log in because I was constantly timing out, and then once one, only 14 FPS with the autoscaling already minimizing my graphics down to hell.

Yes, that's the kind of performance you get without DXVK, sounds about right.

"
StormHUN wrote:

So I removed the D and everything is fine again.

So my guess is that apparently "WINE3D" is a different option than "WINED3D", because the latter only made things worse while the former makes a big improvement.

Well, if that setting really exists at all then it just isn't documented by Valve at all, and searching the code turns up nothing either.
as by today the game stopped working and after some testing:

the game does not start at all with wine versions other than wine-staging 4.11

with 4.11 staging the game starts but crash after character selection

if dxvk is removed the game works but still only with 4.11 staging
"
mathw wrote:

So things are completely stable on your end right now? Trying those launch flags did make it stop crashing for me for a few days, but then last night it started again just as bad as without them.

Using only the supposedly wrong WIN3D option, I only had two crashes total ever since, and I spent a lot of hours in the game.

"
Well, if that setting really exists at all then it just isn't documented by Valve at all, and searching the code turns up nothing either.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to exist. And this kinda baffles me. It's voodo, but it works, so I'm happy. XD

My only issue now is that when I launch the game it takes 3-4 login attempts due to timeout, and the very first fight I have results in a 5-6 second lagfreeze (and me dying), but after that lag is very minimal.

So I'm thinking of trying to add back the --waitforpreload option.
Another new tool to help us: Fossilize by Valve. In our case this lets you use fossilize-replay with Steam's Shader Pre-Caching for Path of Exile, generating a huge Vulkan shader cache without having to generate them during gameplay. Naturally this only helps if you're running the game with DXVK.

Since this is based on what Steam offers in their shader pre-cache download, I'm not sure what's included/excluded, but with it you can seemingly eliminate most of the stutter that comes with generating shaders mid-gameplay. I'm using this paired with AMD graphics and mesa-aco so I'm not sure to what extent this helps Nvidia cards compared to AMD, but for me it has made a clear difference.

You can use these posts on reddit as a guideline for what to do:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/cfb5qq/lessening_path_of_exileand_other_steamplay_games/
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/bp4rkl/latest_steam_beta_fixes_moving_games_with_2gb/enqbsur?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x
There's a lot of good info in the comments as well. Keep in mind this fossilize-replay process takes ~20 minutes and puts high load on your CPU.

If you want to allow your non-Steam client to make use of this cache, it is pretty simple. You just have to go into PoE's installation folder and create a symbolic link that points the ShaderCacheD3D11 directory to the shader cache of your Steam PoE installation. For me, PoE Steam's shader cache was at "~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/238960/mesa_shader_cache/", so within the non-Steam PoE installation directory I deleted the ShaderD3D11 directory and used "ln -s /home/<username>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/238960/mesa_shader_cache/ ShaderCacheD3D11". After comparing both the Steam and non-Steam clients they both seem to be equally improved from it, so it seemingly works.

If wanted I can set up a full steps list for how I personally did it, but this was my only actual tweak: For me the Steam console wasn't working and I didn't like the solution of changing the Steam launch options because it wasn't clear if fossilize ran into any problems. So in my case I installed fossilize-git from the AUR and executed "MESA_GLSL_CACHE_DIR=/home/<username>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/238960/ fossilize-replay /home/<username>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/238960/fozpipelinesv4/steam_pipeline_cache.foz", which is pretty verbose in the terminal and gives a better indication of when it finishes.
same name in-game
Last edited by iao on Jul 22, 2019, 1:53:31 AM
"
iao wrote:
Another new tool to help us: Fossilize by Valve.

How is this better than the dxvk shader pipeline patch?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love and admire Valve's and other people's work on improving games for Linux and I'm glad you put in detailed infos about Fossilize, so it's easy to get the idea. Cheers.
"
Skomener wrote:
"
iao wrote:
Another new tool to help us: Fossilize by Valve.

How is this better than the dxvk shader pipeline patch?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love and admire Valve's and other people's work on improving games for Linux and I'm glad you put in detailed infos about Fossilize, so it's easy to get the idea. Cheers.

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I actually use it in conjunction with the shader async patch. It prevents lag/stuttering when a ton of things occur on screen at once (which is all the time with some builds, and still occurs with the DXVK patch) and most of the assets are loaded without having to be generated so the visual presentation and timing is better.
same name in-game
So far Blight is unplayable. When trying to enter Fetid pools I crashed, and since then I literally cannot leave Lioneye's Watch without crashing.

Already crashed 8 times so far in a row.
"
StormHUN wrote:
So far Blight is unplayable. When trying to enter Fetid pools I crashed, and since then I literally cannot leave Lioneye's Watch without crashing.

Already crashed 8 times so far in a row.

Strange, because this league is by far the best in terms of linux compatibility, at least for me. I had zero crash and I'm doing everything, so not rushing through content.
Was working perfectly for me using Lutris until today's update and now it just quits in less than a couple minutes every time.
Last edited by a0TheVE on Sep 10, 2019, 1:03:54 AM
For you Fedora users out there:

This patch actually runs pretty well on my machine.

I'm using Fedora 30 on a machine with a GeForce 1060 with the proprietary Nvidia drivers (xorg-x11-drv-nvidia) installed.

I tried running the game via PlayOnLinux, but it instantly crashes on startup.
Next, I tried the default Wine (Version 4.15-1) and it worked almost perfectly out of the box.
I do not notice any performance problems. There are some minor graphical glitches though, but nothing major. For example, the "eyes"-animation when activating Withering Step is missing its transparency.

If you use the default configuration of Wine, you can only run the game fullscreen and it will crash when tabbing out.
To fix this, enable Virtual Desktop Emulation.
Run "winecfg", navigate to the "Graphics" tab and check the box next to "Emulate a virtual desktop". Set the resolution to the resolution of your host desktop.

I hope it helps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info