[Official] WINE info thread

"
GamingRendo wrote:
Is anyone having issues where they can play one zone, and anything they do, TP out, reset instance, try and even log to character screen causes a crash? Everything was fine for a few days and it's started again (It's previously happened). I've tried wiping the Shader cache, changing Wine versions, launch parameters, etc but it doesn't help.

I never really had such kind of issue, and don't recall anybody here mentioning such crashes. Seems something new / specific to your setup.
Wine-staging 3.11 + patches https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-staging-pba-git/
Dxvk 0.61
- with reverted https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/commit/f8650c1c9f6ad39fb32bfa552248c7136f7be4df
- with added https://github.com/jomihaka/dxvk-poe-hack
- with added https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/files/2148216/tc8.zip (I used 16 threads as I have Ryzen 7)
Nvidia 396.24 Geforce 780
Directx 11 mode

Game runs pretty much the same like on Windows on Engine Multithreading Off. Its 110fps average in hideout and goes down to 40fps in battles but its stable so it's playable. What's interesting now engine multithreading seems to work better, it gives me 140fps average in hideout, 100fps in battles but goes down rapidly sometimes to 5-15.

So basically the same with engine multi off as Windows. Needs some work with engine multi on to be fully compatible.

I guess people with Intel CPUs will have much better experience currently because of better single core performance.
Last edited by fatino on Jun 30, 2018, 7:05:10 PM
"
ixxxo wrote:
"
Blaiz0r wrote:
Hmm,

I still get regular crashes every 30-60 minutes.

Using Wine-staging 3.10 with Path of Exile in DirectX9C

My command line is: WINEPREFIX=~/.wineprefixes/pathofexile wine PathOfExile.exe -gc 2 --nologo -softwareaudio

What graphics drivers do you use? I use mesa-git (with RX480 card) and it works first time within many many months.

I'm using stable branch NVidia 396.24.

My Wine version is the standard staging branch too, I'm not using patches.
Hello, I have an issue regarding entering towns and ping. When choosing a gateway every single ping is a question mark (?) instead of the usual 20-200 ping. I'm thinking that this might be the problem why I can't enter onwards from char select.
Any answers are appreciated :)
Hey,

Anyone with an NVIDIA card could post or link to their xorg config file?
My in-game map does not display correctly (only NPC names) when using DX11 and can't fix it, no matter what parameters or options I use. I suspect my NVIDIA config has something, either that or KDE.
"
ixxxo wrote:
Oddly enough, there is one single crash point for me - when running shaper influenced map T6+, killing the boss, when scene stops, shaper steps in, says his phrase and then just an audio noise remains and all I can do is hard reset (no alt tabbing or firing text console). I'll test with software audio next time, happened 3-4 times in a row now, always different map, but same phrase from Shaper (one ending with 'Argh').

It seems that real problem is something Elder related. Shaper in T1-5 doesn't have elder mobs/sounds/textures, it's pure shaper and causes absolutely no issues. With elder present, I already get hard hangup of whole PC second I enter map (and Elder related artefacts are present). I can later enter boss room, as long as no elder stuff is there, but zoning out to map from room causes hangup again).

Anybody with Elder-related issues? I'd play happily ever without touching shaper/elder, but i need shaper orbs and this makes getting them beyond impossible.
"
sirdond wrote:
Hey,

Anyone with an NVIDIA card could post or link to their xorg config file?
My in-game map does not display correctly (only NPC names) when using DX11 and can't fix it, no matter what parameters or options I use. I suspect my NVIDIA config has something, either that or KDE.

Never mind, it was user error, on my side. This DXVK thing is still new for me and I've configured it incorrectly. After realizing that and fixing the mistakes, game runs smoothly and the in-game map works perfectly.
I'm surprised how well this runs on my Solus installation. It's almost as good as on Windows with ge-3.6, DXVK 0.54, very smooth on my GTX 1070 once some shader cache has been generated.

Now if only there were alternatives for MercuryTrade and the trade macro, I could finally ditch the Windows dual boot I've set up for PoE :(
For those interested in testing out new developments, there is a patch to Wine now making the rounds called esync.

tl;dr (but seriously read the README) by reddit user radixsqrt:
"
Reimplements synchronization objects to require less or no roundtrips from the application to wineserver, this can decrease wine's cpu usage in some situations (generally involving lots of IO).

Turn it on with WINEESYNC=1

Basically, PoE is a very CPU-intensive game so I think this may yield improvements.

Lutris has a compiled version of Wine + esync and if you're on Arch there's this edited version of the wine-staging-pba-git package (which also contains the PoE DX11 patch, PBA patch, and some more).

Also make sure to edit your /etc/security/limits.conf if necessary, as is explained in the esync README.
same name in-game
Hi guys!

I have a question regarding performance/correct usage of wine for POE on my fairly old PC.

I am running vanilla Ubuntu Mate 18.04 on

AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 440
4 GB RAM
Radeon HD 5770 with open source drivers

with wine --version
wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1)

I have installed POE on a 64 bit wineprefix and am using the default wine version.

I have used the following additional settings:

winetricks usp10
set openal32 library to native
Using DirectX9C

use_dynamic_resolution=false
vsync=false
[GENERAL]
engine_multithreading_mode=disabled
[UI]
show_corner_map=false

Everything else is on the lowest settings.

The start command for POE is:

"wine PathOfExile_x64.exe --garbage-generation 1 --waitforpreload --nologo"

I am currently on my first playthrough in Act 5 and I can generally play 2-3 Zones until freezes/crashes happen. Also there are many stutters after loading a zone before all the animations are in RAM (I guess). Performance in towns is very bad, I guess because its trying to load all the different cosmectics and armor skins....
The performance in the first 3 acts was pretty good, but Act 4 and 5 have been worse and worse.

So my question is: Can I do something on the software side to improve performance? Would a 32 bit wineprefix help? Would upgrading the RAM help? And more generally, is it possible to run the game fluently on a current all-AMD system (with RX 580 GPU?) -> I am considering buying a new computer for this, because so far I had to limit myself to solo play because of the performance issues and I would like to play with others eventually ;).

One more question: I guess DXVK does not work with my old graphics card? Is this the best way to run POE on newer hardware?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info