[Official] WINE info thread

"
yukyuk wrote:
you cannot ignore the fact, that this game sucks up a big load of performance for whatever reason.

shadows,AA & post processing off?
which graphic card?
"
yukyuk wrote:
and instability issues, will make a linux-wine-solution a no-go area for most serious (hardcore) players.

oO
with a patched wine?
can you explain more?
cause i played day long with no problem at all ><
my hardware:
ati radeon 2600 series (i know its old!)
3gb ram
2.6 ghz quadcore
ubuntu 11.10

game specification:
lowest possible graphic settings
800x600 resolution

result:
a lot of loading spikes, makes it unplayable. its getting worse when you enter the jungle in act 2, with all the trees and stuff.

i can run the game on the same machine under windows vista smooth with a 1280x1024 resolution, without being forced to put everything off.
if you can run it nicely under wine, you are likely to be a proud user of superior hardware. but i'm an idealist, i dont compensate suboptimal solutions with better hardware. i want better coding and i dont have much hopes for this game linux-wise.
"
yukyuk wrote:
if you can run it nicely under wine, you are likely to be a proud user of superior hardware.

yeah i'm proud of my 8600GT <(^_^)>

"
yukyuk wrote:
but i'm an idealist, i dont compensate suboptimal solutions with better hardware. i want better coding and i dont have much hopes for this game linux-wise.

it's logical that wine (or crossover or other stuff like that) are not optimal.

in the foresti'm around 30-40 fps (yeah it's not so good) but that playable (it's fluid)

i don't know what appened to you since your hardware is prety much equivalent to mine
i set wine to emulate a desktop (1152x864) and run the game in fullsceen
according the crashes i get, it's things that - to my knowledge - are not declared as bugged when you play it in windows.
poison arrow for example, does always freeze the game - or perhaps more accurately, it gets me an endless frame rate latency.

i wonder, if slow frame rates are troublesome for the emulation process and could eventually cause wine to fail. does anyone have similar experiences?

edit:

these crashes are repeatable, however the console will not bring up additional information when it happens. if i press Alt+F4, wine tells me that the program won't respond and i may force to quit.

the console output i get when doing so, no idea if it helps:

err:ntdll:RtlDeleteResource Deleting active MRSW lock (0x11249c), expect failure
wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x11010849 at address 0x6834369d (thread 0029), starting debugger...
err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --auto 14 48") (1115)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger

oh, and btw i made a complete and fresh installation of the game, so corrupted files are most likely not the case.
Last edited by yukyuk on Mar 1, 2012, 9:58:28 AM
What, I can run this under *Nix? YESSS
Has anyone been able to patch wine on Ubuntu Oneric 64-bit?

The version of wine in the repo is "wine 1.2.3-0ubuntu1"

The patched file offered earlier in this thread was for 32-bit and a different wine version. I could try editing source and compiling wine but don't know where to start with that.

I haven't played the game in two months now and want to get back into it. I tried installing Windows7 in a VirtualBox under Ubuntu, but I got the same "failed to initialise" error on Windows. I keep checking on this and downloading each new patch from GGG hoping it would fix this error but no luck so far.

Can someone point me to a guide for locating the wine source files and compiling?
"
Carl_Blemming wrote:
Can someone point me to a guide for locating the wine source files and compiling?

sourceforge?

for the patch just edit "dlls/winex11.drv/opengl.c" on line around 1639 you have:
"
/* SetPixelFormat is not allowed on the X root_window e.g. GetDC(0) */
if(get_glxdrawable(physDev) == root_window)
{
ERR("Invalid operation on root_window\n");
return FALSE;
}

replace it by:
"
{
physDev->current_pf = iPixelFormat;
FIXME("Invalid operation on root_window\n");
return TRUE;
}
"
unk wrote:
"
Carl_Blemming wrote:

sourceforge?

for the patch just edit "dlls/winex11.drv/opengl.c" on line around 1639 you have:
"
{
ERR("Invalid operation on root_window\n");
return FALSE;
}

replace it by:
"
{
physDev->current_pf = iPixelFormat;
FIXME("Invalid operation on root_window\n");
return TRUE;
}

you might also want to use the mmap patch at the beginning of this thread. otherwise you may have a memory leak that will crash the game constantly.
Yay! No more recompiling of WINE. =)

I see that "Failed to initialise renderer subsystem.", a pop up error is fixed after the newest patch of POE, 0.9.7..

NVIDIA Driver Version: 290.10
Slackware 13.37, 32-bit x86
wine-1.5.0 - binary txz (Slackware 13.37)
"
racun wrote:
Yay! No more recompiling of WINE. =)

I see that "Failed to initialise renderer subsystem.", a pop up error is fixed after the newest patch of POE, 0.9.7..

Yes, it's working for me too after this patch, and I did not recompile Wine. Thanks GGG!

The game still crashes when I use a wand though, but I can live with that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info