Bring back the old Gound Slam animation

I like the new one in all situations over the old one
S L O W E R
I'm just not a fan of the spikes I suppose.
the spikes dont really fall in line with my image of the skill.
imo it should be more like the old animation,
but with low raised squarish sections, not the spikes.
was goin to make ground slam char, now the effect is just eww.
at the least, make the spikes less 'spiky' and thin and tall.
just a small change and you make a lot of people happy.
Last edited by zephiroth3 on Apr 21, 2014, 2:39:17 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I don't use Ground Slam on any of my characters, but I do see map version of Brutus and Kole using it (you can now see spikes coming up from the ground), and I definitely like the change from my perspective. I'm not sure why players wouldn't either; it's much easier now to tell what spots your hitting and which you aren't.

This thread puzzles me, because I can't imagine how one would like the old, inaccurate, low-tech animation. Apparently, however, some people do. Strange.

Except that I do use Ground Slam on one of my characters, this sums up my thoughts perfectly.
IMO, I absolutely hated the old version and i really like the new version, it actually made me want to make a GS character for once, even though there are more effective builds out there with similar gameplay effects. Its very impressive and im grateful that GGG's designers made a new form.
About the spikes, well, i have to agree that a fissure alternative graphical aspect (micro transaction maybe?) would be pretty interesting too, but this one works perfectly. :)
I guess, if I think on it a little bit, the spikes are probably a little too tall. The exaggerated height makes it feel less like a shockwave traveling from your character and more like kind of bizarre subterranean attack (like D2's Death Maulers' attacks). Some slight alterations which keep the spikes but promote a more horizontal, rather than vertical, feel to the animation might improve it. For example, slanting the spikes slightly away from the player (a la Glacial Cascade) rather than keeping them vertical.

That's a nitpick, but I'm trying to empathize with the weirdos people who prefer the old animation to the new one.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 22, 2014, 1:28:38 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
That's a nitpick, but I'm trying to empathize with the weirdos people who prefer the old animation to the new one.

I'm sympathizing 100%, if you don't you just never tried actually using the thing with +area on maps when shit starts flying left and right. The old animation was utter crap but the new one can reach a bit over what your gpu can handle, although it does look pretty nice. I can only imagine what happens on an average notebook if a decent gaming pc slows down to a crawl.

Just think about it, area goes up with square of radius increase, if I got only 32% increased radius I see around 75% more spikes on my screen. Just imagine what happens with over 50%, their engine just can't handle that kind of scaling.

Again the thing I keep noticing for a time - lack of awareness, devs sometimes seem to have no idea what they got on their hands here. A lot of thing get crammed in without any thought if the game can handle it or not, be it technically, mechanically or even artistically (chocobo knight armor). Don't get me wrong, it's all very nice stuff, it would fit some other games I can think of very well, but it just isn't suited for PoE.

So yeah, spikes would be fine from brutus and cole, maybe even as a microtransaction, but dunno why we couldn't have gotten just a small, nice, scaleable shockwave with a little blur that would simulate earth heaving or something.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Apr 22, 2014, 2:40:42 AM
My first thought on seeing the new animation was also that the spikes don't really make sense.

+1 for toning them down.
I have no problem with the new animation, however I would have no problem with the old animation if it scaled properly with area.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

To me it wasn't an issue of preference but one of choice.

Having the new animation as an mtx would've given each GS user the option to use which ever animation they wanted.

As a purely visual change I thought it would fit better in the cash shop.
OB: BazzVone - 83 Dual Spork Totem Templar /w CI and minions
CB: BazzVfourteen - 80 Dual Spork Totem Templar /w CI
CB: BazzVtwo - 73 Dual Spork Totem/LS Templar
CB: BazzVseven - 76 Lightning Strike Mara
CB: BazzVfive - 78 Lightning Strike Mara

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info