Client Performance (Updated June 16)

My main beef with client performance is that I'm running a decent 40-60 fps on low settings, untill I meet something dangerous. It's like the main cause of my deaths- I walk into a room, something scary pops up, but my client doesn't work properly for 2 seconds and I end up dead or almost dead because my character was doing nothing. Big packs of white mobs don't usually cause anything like that.

Main offenders are rogue exiles with all their swag effects and bursts unlike anything in the area.
The worst fps drop i had was 3 days ago on a 2week race. I faced a group of magic "dogs from docks" in Scepter of God. My Marauder with 1,5k hp 60 fire ress got melted on NORMAL in 1 sec... hello
IGN: Glassia
Last edited by glasgow on May 16, 2014, 9:46:50 AM
yay
IGN: lVlage (96 Witch)
This sounds really cool guys. We can all deal with desync, but having to avoid party play altogether and having to restart the client every few hours gets tiresome.
Awesome
Sounds great!
I'm assuming this was tested on some lower end machines. I'm curious to know what sort of fps numbers these changes will yield for those that have struggled with fps. Like a & change in minimum and average fps.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
Last edited by MaxTheLimit on May 16, 2014, 4:49:13 PM
Hmm. This game will never be graphically well off until you do something about your engine, asset loading, and ffs the sounds, why are the sound files so messed up? If I run a modded OpenAL32 I get better framerates. If I use --nosound, I get even better performance.. wtf.

The sound(s) and the way you make the game play them are the issue. You have Creative sound proprietary dlls, but yet your sound is so fubar, if I attack a non-dieing grinning totem, I'll lag out due to the bottleneck of 50 million fireball ogg requests being made, which your game can't handle.

I get 45+ fps in any other game I play. 80 man AV, no problem, 40+ fps, GW2, titanfall beta, etc no problem. Try to solo a museum map- ping timeout while trying to load your crappy ogg files.

Honestly, something has to be done.
/bow
IGN ; DENTAGRAM
thanks to http://poe.xyz.is/
https://cldly.com/pathofexile/procument/acquisition/poexyz
"
Czarevna wrote:
Can we fix the issue where too many duplicate sounds happening at once causes video lag?

I have a solid state drive, 4.3 Ghz quadcore, a 660 GTX Ti and 16 gigs of 1600 DDR3:

I've been in groups before, with 75 FPS - and 2 things make the game grind to a 2-4 FPS halt!

Those 2 things are:

-Soul Conduit Mobs
(The sound of many dead foes coming back to life as ghosts all happens at once. LAG CITY!)

-The Mother of the Hive (unique boss)

(The sound of so many of her young getting slammed with weapon impact sounds (two or 3 group members all doing spectral throw with GMP lags the game out. 75 FPS average went down to 2, and stayed there for the entire duration of the 3 minute fight!)

That's most likely an issue with the game applying visual effects to so many things simultaneously/calculating your actions effects on so many things at once, not the audio associated with your actions.

The game only handles 32 sounds simultaneously currently, which is what 90's DOS games supported (Windows 95 games saw the introduction of support for 64 sounds and EAX boosted the number even further, eventually to 128).
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on May 17, 2014, 8:35:55 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info