Starting new characters is horrible

Yeah it's balanced around a stash full of items you already collected

No problem, but starting a new character in a new league is horrible with the excessive use of RNG in loot and crafting
Last edited by Startkabels on Apr 17, 2014, 6:20:47 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
The only thing I dislike about rerolling is the lack of increased movespeed in town. If you're used to playing a higher-level character, the time just drags.

This. Slow movespeed is really the only reason I ever get annoyed rolling a new toon. I'm a hoarder but the only boots I ever keep for twinking are boots with +ms. I've actually always felt the base movespeed was just a tad slow.
POE Serenity Prayer: GGG, grant me the serenity to accept the RNG I cannot change,
the courage to challenge any unbalanced content, and the wisdom to avoid the forums.
Mad: "Oh, it's simple and if you insist... I just think you're a dick. That's all."
QFT: 4TRY4C&4NO
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
"
Try telling that to all the racers out there, myself included.

Also, any Australian getting 70 ping must feel like a king. I'm used to 200+ for most online games, so the 50 or so I get from the Australian gateway is awesome.

I definitely don't experience what you're describing there. Sorry. :(

Racers die all the time you aren't even making sense

i race a bit too and i think it sucks as well. most people race for the points/placings anyway no matter the (slow horrible) experience.
and having rng favours you with giving ms boots/big pack size makes racing more enjoyable as well as general play experience.
"
Phaeded wrote:
a tad slow.

A tad?! ahahaa
Starting a new char fresh in a new league is one of the funnest parts of this game.

I don't get how missing attacks or getting stunned = broken game experience? I guess mindless faceroll with no thought or challenge is what you consider fun?

Movespeed was a shock when I first started this game because the main arpg I played b4 this was Median XL which is a really fast paced game. However it is what the game is designed around and once you get used to it its just fine. 2 different gameplay styles (fast and slow) can be equally as good in their own turf.
I think you would regret decision to make your early game the same as the end game. If u could use every gem, support and best items from the beginning then I wonder how would you feel playing from 1 lvl to 90lvl with the same gameplay. In my opinion the most fun thing in POE is progress and developing your character. Im lvl 72 and now im bored. I cant see any progress. I cant find better items because I have really solid gear. The only thing I still have to reach is link my armor in stash. So I only search for fusings...

second thing is feeling that your character is weak. Its natural and good idea. When u lvl up u notice that your character become stronger. Its one point of progressing. I really dont get people who want to have end game character from the beginning...
Last edited by azoriuss on Apr 19, 2014, 5:20:02 PM
"
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
"
Try telling that to all the racers out there, myself included.

Also, any Australian getting 70 ping must feel like a king. I'm used to 200+ for most online games, so the 50 or so I get from the Australian gateway is awesome.

I definitely don't experience what you're describing there. Sorry. :(

Racers die all the time you aren't even making sense

Uhm, who said anything about dying or not dying? YOU are the one not making sense, sir/madam. I merely responded to the topic title, 'Starting new characters is horrible'. Tell that to all the racers out there, myself included. Because we start new characters all the time, and it's not so horrible.

Please respond to me more thoughtfully next time, if you have to respond at all. Thanks in advance.

Racing is not as "horrible" because you a.) are not trying to compare it to a high level character that you are just rerolling from, b.) you generally have no desire to keep playing a [short] race character after the race is done, and c.) the 'fun' of races comes from the fact that you're constantly pressing so you can keep pace with other racers.

If you're coming off a high level character (particularly a VERY high level character that's mid-90s+) the LAST thing you want to do is go back to playing the slow and weak level 10 character.
"
UnderOmerta wrote:

Racing is not as "horrible" because you a.) are not trying to compare it to a high level character that you are just rerolling from, b.) you generally have no desire to keep playing a [short] race character after the race is done, and c.) the 'fun' of races comes from the fact that you're constantly pressing so you can keep pace with other racers.

If you're coming off a high level character (particularly a VERY high level character that's mid-90s+) the LAST thing you want to do is go back to playing the slow and weak level 10 character.

Fair point. If the OP had said 'rerolling high level characters is horrible' in the topic title, I'd not have brought up racing.

Consider this a lesson in precise diction.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 19, 2014, 7:47:47 PM
As a guy that likes races I've started hundreds of 'new' characters.

The part of the game that I feel is bogged down and tedious is level 22 or so till around 35. Starting from scratch can be made very fast and fun by just knowing a few tricks. Problem is, truly new players and those who don't spend a lot of time racing often don't learn these tricks. Here are a few:

1) New Chars need two, and only two main skills. They need an Area of Effect skill, and a boss killing single target skill. Of the two the most important to invest points in is usually the AoE skill. Knowing the right weapon to use will easily get a new char past Brutus and Merv. By that time the toon is really past the 'total noob' stage The OP dislikes.

What I do for each class for act 1. Replacing with skills in () when I get them.

Marauder: AoE = Ground Slam (Leap Slam), Single Target = Heavy strike.
Duelist: AoE = cleave (Leap Slam), Single Target = Double strike.
Shadow: AoE = Fire Trap (Storm call), ST = Double Strike
Scion: AoE = Spectral Throw (Leapslam), ST = Spectral throw
Ranger: AoE = Split Arrow, ST = Double Strike
Templar: AoE = Ground Slam, ST = Heavy Strike
Witch: AoE = Fireball (Storm call), ST = Storm Call (Flame Blast)

Weapons:

-If your character is spell based I recommend dual wands. Use +1 to (X)skills as soon as you either find or can craft them. rings coral, belt leather.

-Melee types, I use staves and maces early game because the damage is good and the requirements are low. Primitive staff is especially good for act 1 bosses with heavy or double strike. If I'm using duelist I'll use a two handed axe as first choice, sword as second choice for leveling up until brutus for cleave. A lot of racers choose iron rings and rustic sashes. don't forget the blacksmith's whetstone + rustic recipe as it makes a huge difference.

-For Shadow and Ranger the sharktooth claw is a great base weapon type. good damage and speed and you get life back as you attack with it. Will take down Brutus and merv with double strike very cleanly. If you want to kill the first act bosses with a bow, its possible, I've done it. but it takes a long time and honestly is kind of depressing imo.

-Bow characters of any class...yeah its my least favorite. It all depends how long it takes to find or shop a bow and quiver with + damage/ elemental damage mods. I use iron rings and rustic sash early to maximize the chance of one-shotting things from a distance.

-Scion: Primitive staff or any comparable 2h weapon with good damage mods + Spectral throw = doom for Brutus and Merv. I prefer Storm Call to ST early on for aoe but its personal preference. Once I get Lesser Multiple Projectiles I'm back to Spectral unless I'm making a melee scion and get melee splash.

These aren't the only ways or even the best. But they work and get you through the first act pretty quickly. I don't know how the top racers are killing Brutus at 15 min and Merv at 30 min into a race but I can get to act two in an hour with no trouble starting clean and I'm nothing special at this game.

Lo diré en castellano, porque es la segunda lengua más hablada en el mundo (y porque si lo digo en inglés no me va a entender ni dios).
Este juego es una pasada gráficamente y una mierda a la hora de jugarlo. Después de empezar dos personages y de ver que pasado el nivel 10 los había hecho mal... me he pasado dos horas mirando tutotriales en youtube para ver como hacer un mago, un asesino y un paladin. Imposible. Hay tantos puntos de experiencia absurdos (magia, fuerza y destreza) que cuando ya has ido por un camino que no es, no hay vuelta atrás, y las 6 horas de juego que te has pegado se van a la mierda. dan ganas de quemar el personage.
Y es dificil acertar porque no sabes las magias que te van a salir, no sabes las armas... y menos aun se te ocurre cuando empiezas, que las habilidades del principio mejor no tocarlas. En fin, un autentico lio. Y me defino como un jugador RPG de toda la vida.
Por cierto, hay muchas habilidades pero son todas iguales. TODAS!!!! te vayas donde te vayas del arbol de habilidades son todas de 8 a 10 puntos de , vida, mana, magia (fuego rayo hielo psiquico), y puntos de vida en los minions. Todos ellos repartidos por todas partes para que parezca que son distintos.

Hay formas mucho más interesantes de hacer un arbol, y la que habéis hecho no lo es. Es desesperante.

Y ahora decirme que os lo diga en inglés.. XD anda y pagar un traductor.
Ale. no lo juego en la vida, que forma de perder el tiempo. Menos mal... que era gratis.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info