buff through the roof, nerf to the ground.

And how are they going to get money to pay these people when they stop making MTX's?
"
Jojas wrote:
And how are they going to get money to pay these people when they stop making MTX's?

Stop making MTXs=/= All MTXs magically dissapear.
ign: ecogen
"
Jojas wrote:

By using all of the cash they've already siphoned from their poor victims (who will no doubt spend even more money on stash tabs + existing MTX). And perhaps stop paying Chris a 7-figure salary.
✮ in-game @FTMFW
✮ twitch.tv/RRTSON
✮ [Shop] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/909223
✮ [Build of the Week] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1034503
Last edited by rrtson on Apr 15, 2014, 9:05:42 PM
"
ecogen wrote:

Of course not, but people will not buy what they already have. Before long GGG will have no income. Not that hard.
Last edited by Jojas on Apr 15, 2014, 9:06:53 PM
"
Jojas wrote:
"
ecogen wrote:

Of course not, but people will not buy what they already have. Before long GGG will have no income. Not that hard.

Very off topic, but I'll bite: do you already have ALL the MTX in the game, Jojas? How much time and money will it take you, to have it all?

GGG sure can re-allocate resources without losing income, at this point in time. They CHOOSE not to.

Why? Being stubborn is one answer.
The same reason they insist balance should be done in a binary way.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Ya'll is some ratchet ass ******.
Noblesse oblige
They have 1 balance guy

I wonder how many support and microtransaction guys they have
"Of course we balance knowing players will Alt-F4 out of there."
- Qarl
"
Deankar wrote:
They have 1 balance guy

I wonder how many support and microtransaction guys they have

Where did you get this information? They recently hired a balance guy (who mainly did work on SoTV and Invasion league, so take that how you will). Do you think GGG has not had a balance team prior to february?

"
nightblade157 wrote:
don't blame the devs. They are probably in over their heads creating a gazillion new microtransaction effects for every new patch.

The people (person? Does anyone besides Russell?) making microtransactions are not in charge of balance. Microtransactions are also GGG's only source of income, which would definitely lower if they stopped making any new ones, so firing the microtransactions people to hire more balance people isn't exactly a smart idea.
Last edited by Bunnu on Apr 16, 2014, 3:03:08 AM
The reason this often happens is because the buffs and nerfs are often complex. By that I mean they occur on multiple layers and usually in the same patch.

Take for example when the Scion starting nodes were nerfed, generic spell/elemental damage nodes were buffed, and the life/evasion/energy shield circles had nodes removed. The first put the intelligence classes in line with Scion, the second made those classes even better than the Scion, and the third made it much easier to travel through the center of the tree, which "buffed" every class but certain version of the Scion.

Now there's little chance there'll ever be a Scion tree more efficient than those for other classes. For example, the Eldritch Battery + Mind over Matter combination was supposed to be much easier to accomplish as a Scion, but the Witch can do it more efficiently in almost every way I can imagine.

I realize these examples are more about the passive skill tree, but there are numerous other examples that span into items, gems, etc.
same name in-game
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
Jojas wrote:
"
ecogen wrote:

Very off topic, but I'll bite: do you already have ALL the MTX in the game, Jojas? How much time and money will it take you, to have it all?

GGG sure can re-allocate resources without losing income, at this point in time. They CHOOSE not to.

Why? Being stubborn is one answer.
The same reason they insist balance should be done in a binary way.

There is nothing that particularly interests me in the MTX shop right now. And if GGG stops making MTX's it will stay that way.
As I see it, GGG are more or less *doomed* to continually produce new things for their shop because in contrast to other F2Ps they don't have a perpetual, reliable source of income. No consumables like higher-droprate potions or damage boosters or anything like that.
So if they stop making new MTX shinies people eventually will have all they want to have, and then GGG can basically start firing people. With their business model re-allocating resources away from their shop is really not an option.

But I agree with you that there is some serious stubbornness, at least it seems that way from our perspective. I also agree with your OP. Balancing seems often very ham-fisted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info