Client-server Action Synchronisation

you speak with certainty that this horrible desync thing is absolutely crippling path of exile. id like to see you back up your certainty with numbers, and not anecdotal evidence (or the lack thereof). personally, i think rubberbanding is a very interesting way of dealing with desync, and not something to quit the game over, but im a softcore player.
"
q45412 wrote:
you speak with certainty that this horrible desync thing is absolutely crippling path of exile. id like to see you back up your certainty with numbers, and not anecdotal evidence (or the lack thereof). personally, i think rubberbanding is a very interesting way of dealing with desync, and not something to quit the game over, but im a softcore player.

I dont know if desync is crippling path of exile but i can speak for my behalf and i can tell you honestly that im playing this game for less than a month and the only thing that stopped me from spending any real cash in here is this truly horrible desync thing.After 10-12 deaths because of that problem i found it pretty hard to spend any money on a game that i will probably give up in a couple of weeks because i will be frustrated.I really believe that im not the only one who is about leave or already left or going to leave this game in the future because of that.
"
q45412 wrote:

That's the whole thing right there. Your a softcore player, and don't even know the horrible events that desync does to hardcore players. To be honest, I'm also a softcore player (due to the desync would never run hardcore. ever.) To show facts, numbers, if you ever played in alpha, and all the way till now, you would've notice, actually you would have immediately agreed with me almost instant, that PoE is losing players due to the Desync, and GGG's lack of response towards this problem. The rubberbanding thing isn't crafted by GGG to deal with desync, its the server and client reconnecting the position of your character in the server.

So there again, like I said before, I am right.
Last edited by shaints11 on Oct 1, 2014, 2:31:51 PM
"
Chris wrote:
Suggesting we switch to a synchronous action model like RTS/MOBA games really isn't a good solution. I understand that RTSs/MOBAs don't have desync, but they do have lag after each and every click. When the semantic is that you're ordering a unit around, this lag is understandable, but if you *are* the unit, then it feels really terrible. Right now, our client-prediction allows users in obscure countries to play Path of Exile while under 200+ms of latency. This would be a much worse experience under that alternate action model.

Sorry, but the current predicting "solution" is really terrible too even for people with ~50ms ping. You talk about 200+ ms people, but the solution for them is to put servers near their location. I don't think they play in good condition with current predicting mechanics anyway. Above 100-150ms ping, the game is already almost unplayable in party (as every online game). Looks like you chosen the wrong netcode model and you don't realize it's very bad. Maybe the game looks more playable at client side but at the end it isn't, it's worse. I have some friends who stop to play cause of desyncs while they have 50-60ms ping! The synchronous model would works very good in that conditions. PoE is the only game I know who have that issue, even Diablo 3 have no desyncs at all.

"
Chris wrote:
In addition, it'd require rewriting most of the game.

I think that's the real reason why you don't switch to a "no-desync" model. You don't want to rewrite your broken netcode. You must realize you'll have more happy players then more money if you do it. Desync is the reason #1 why I don't want to spend any money on that game.
fkxLegacySpectral : lvl 97 Raider ST HowA [Legacy]
fkxBreachSlayer : lvl 95 Slayer Blade Flurry [Breach]
fkxCrockett : lvl 94 Saboteur Ice Trap [Perendus]
fkxRampage : lvl 94 Witch Fireball [Rampage]
fkxShadow : lvl 95 Shadow FP/CI [open beta]
Last edited by fkxDuelist on Oct 1, 2014, 3:29:24 PM
"
fkxDuelist wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
Suggesting we switch to a synchronous action model like RTS/MOBA games really isn't a good solution. I understand that RTSs/MOBAs don't have desync, but they do have lag after each and every click. When the semantic is that you're ordering a unit around, this lag is understandable, but if you *are* the unit, then it feels really terrible. Right now, our client-prediction allows users in obscure countries to play Path of Exile while under 200+ms of latency. This would be a much worse experience under that alternate action model.

Sorry, but the current predicting "solution" is really terrible too even for people with ~50ms ping. You talk about 200+ ms people, but the solution for them is to put servers near their location. I don't think they play in good condition with current predicting mechanics anyway. Above 100-150ms ping, the game is already almost unplayable in party (as every online game). Looks like you chosen the wrong netcode model and you don't realize it's very bad. Maybe the game looks more playable at client side but at the end it isn't, it's worse. I have some friends who stop to play cause of desyncs while they have 50-60ms ping! The synchronous model would works very good in that conditions. PoE is the only game I know who have that issue, even Diablo 3 have no desyncs at all.

"
Chris wrote:
In addition, it'd require rewriting most of the game.

I think that's the real reason why you don't switch to a "no-desync" model. You don't want to rewrite your broken netcode. You must realize you'll have more happy players then more money if you do it. Desync is the reason #1 why I don't want to spend any money on that game.

You sir, deserve a medal :)

Hell I get 30-100 ping (due to my build CoC :) ) and I rubberband every where, I hit clouds with my weapons/skills. I have to keep revising my builds, and switching them to different one's to "slow" down this desync. You're also right about them getting the wrong netcode model :P which is quite funny lol...

Anyway, GGG, I don't see this company going anywhere fast anymore. I thought this company was different from the rest with all those promises they have made, and actually did 95% of them, but there not and don't be fooled by their false promises. They are exactly like every other company out there cash grab hungry companies, they'll keep giving you full of shit promises and tell you to keep spending money here and probably in the near future, they'll just close up and run with all the money we've spent on this game :P
i have a 10-15 ms connection to the game server

i still desync on random time,s tough * not that mutch *

sins this game works whit maps ( zones ) and endgame maps

that are pre generated

is it not possible to trust the cliënt on monster location / character movement

but only trust server on item drops / damage ? * this way cheating to gain items is not gonna happen

server could see if some one is using a speed hack of any kind wen it syncs whit the client ( ia client has movement speed of x so it can only move x per x time spend ) then bann players based on that )

this way monster and caracter desyncs would be gone

while item drop and damge done would be the same

there could still be desincs in the damge u take / deal tough
@dragnar <<< ingame or pm me
"
dragnar wrote:
i have a 10-15 ms connection to the game server

i still desync on random time,s tough * not that mutch *

sins this game works whit maps ( zones ) and endgame maps

that are pre generated

is it not possible to trust the cliënt on monster location / character movement

but only trust server on item drops / damage ? * this way cheating to gain items is not gonna happen

server could see if some one is using a speed hack of any kind wen it syncs whit the client ( ia client has movement speed of x so it can only move x per x time spend ) then bann players based on that )

this way monster and caracter desyncs would be gone

while item drop and damge done would be the same

there could still be desincs in the damge u take / deal tough

Desync is not based off "hacks" or trusting the client on mob locations/character movement. They have based a pre-calculation of what COULD drop, what COULD happen, where you COULD move. :P

Desync is the client to server connectivity, that they refuse to revise and rebuild the code in it. or actually get a new netcode model to speed the transmission from client to server much faster. That's a standard move of "Cheap as possible". They don't want to admit that they made enough cash overall, even with all their spending's that they have enough to get a whole new netcode, and would literally only take them maybe 2 days or even less with a team of 8 to code it into the client, into the server as well, and have a hell of alot of happy customers and a player base.
ever tried slowing the game down?
everything moves so fast
I just do not get why GGG simply refuses to do anything to fix all the things. The first 2 months or so it ran fine no problems to rant about...okay there was a de-synch here and there and also the server lag but still.

Lately i get the feeling that the de-synch and server lag gets worse with every patch that is brought out. ( I have no real prove, but it feels like it to me. ) Also there are the occasional disconnects, i hat two of those tonight. The first one was when i was on the third floor of the Sceptre of God and saw the waypoint in the next room...i open the door and..."Hey hello main menu". The second time was just when i would have gone out and face Dominus for the first time!

I have to get up early tomorrow so i have to wait till tomorrow evening to try and finish the game for the first time and move on to Cruel. Now i play softcore so i run no risks with disconnects but it is freaking annoying none the less!?
"
Fessels2903 wrote:
I just do not get why GGG simply refuses to do anything to fix all the things. The first 2 months or so it ran fine no problems to rant about...okay there was a de-synch here and there and also the server lag but still.

Lately i get the feeling that the de-synch and server lag gets worse with every patch that is brought out. ( I have no real prove, but it feels like it to me. ) Also there are the occasional disconnects, i hat two of those tonight. The first one was when i was on the third floor of the Sceptre of God and saw the waypoint in the next room...i open the door and..."Hey hello main menu". The second time was just when i would have gone out and face Dominus for the first time!

I have to get up early tomorrow so i have to wait till tomorrow evening to try and finish the game for the first time and move on to Cruel. Now i play softcore so i run no risks with disconnects but it is freaking annoying none the less!?

Sorry to hear that mate. Atleast your in softcore so no real harm to your character except 7-10% of XP :P

You are right though, that the game is getting worse every patch they do. GGG needs to learn to fix there shit, or close up. They are developers who came from blizzard none the less with a shit ton of experience in the coding language field and they KNOW how to fix this.

If they ever knew that if they fixed their desync problem, the people will be happy and people will be fully able to enjoy the game on every character, every build there is, every combination. When people are happy, money will flow in. That should strike some common business sense to them right there....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info