Client-server Action Synchronisation

Blaaargh im still waiting for a (Updated August 12) by the side of the topic name :(
Above content may contain traces of nonsense.

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
"
atrokkus wrote:
I read the manifesto, and I see that there's a question on how other games handle this. I know it's bad manners to talk about your competition directly, but why don't you analyze how Diablo 3 or Diablo 2 handle it? Why is it always smooth in those games (black walls and minute desync issues in PvP don't really count, PvM was almost perfect anyway)? Why can't you — or why couldn't you do the same? Now, I know that there could have been reasons for that in the early stages of development, and I fully understand that, but at least explain it in direct comparison with ARPG titles that do everything well. Because the "cheats" that you mentioned don't apply to Diablo 2, for instance. Maybe there are other cheats?
Also, as far as security is concerned, duping was fixed in D2 quite successfully (granted, after a long stint of nonsense). Same for TPPK and other serious hacks. As for maphacks... Seriously, who cares if someone uses a maphack, as long as there are no desyncs?

PS: Sorry if this has been answered already, I haven't read the full thread yet. Please let me know if this question was answered before at some point.

I pretty much have the same question. I got into PoE over a year ago, got fed up with the desync and excuses for it and asked these same questions. To my knowledge, no dev has ever bothered to address a simple question:

"Why are you the only ARPG with this problem to this degree?"

I'd much rather see an answer to this than another long-winded manifesto that breaks down to "Oh well, deal with it."
Sigh. I'd like to see such a comparison as well, manners and "good form" be damned.

I took a break from the game for about two months and just came back to it today, only to be killed by desync on my archer (for whom positioning is more important, but note that he doesn't use any problematic movement skills).

I really don't feel like f***ing with AHK, so it looks like I'll be taking another long break, unless there's something in the Forsaken Masters patch notes that gives a concrete indication that measures have been taken to improve this game-breaking flaw.

I generally don't come into the forums and bitch about this problem (this is literally my first time, and I've been playing since beta); instead I simply walk away from the game. I know that this is true of many players. I hope the developers keep this permanently on the top of their priority list until it is fixed, because it is costing them players (directly) and money (indirectly), make no mistake.

WORKING ON THIS PROBLEM > WORKING ON NEW CONTENT.

Yes.
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
TheHubby wrote:

I'd much rather see an answer to this than another long-winded manifesto that breaks down to "Oh well, deal with it."

I said the same thing when me and my friends where talking awhile back, out of 6 of us im the only 1 still playing. D3 is basically the same game and I can play it for hours on end and not experience any of the issues I do with POE...So what gives?!!!

Now my friends didn't quit because of dysnc, feel I should mention that! They were frustrated by it but like most of us we just swallow our anger and just keep playing! It was the extreme grind that ultimately turned them away.
Last edited by justinmm1988 on Aug 19, 2014, 4:40:48 PM
"
TheHubby wrote:
"
atrokkus wrote:
I read the manifesto, and I see that there's a question on how other games handle this. I know it's bad manners to talk about your competition directly, but why don't you analyze how Diablo 3 or Diablo 2 handle it? Why is it always smooth in those games (black walls and minute desync issues in PvP don't really count, PvM was almost perfect anyway)? Why can't you — or why couldn't you do the same? Now, I know that there could have been reasons for that in the early stages of development, and I fully understand that, but at least explain it in direct comparison with ARPG titles that do everything well. Because the "cheats" that you mentioned don't apply to Diablo 2, for instance. Maybe there are other cheats?
Also, as far as security is concerned, duping was fixed in D2 quite successfully (granted, after a long stint of nonsense). Same for TPPK and other serious hacks. As for maphacks... Seriously, who cares if someone uses a maphack, as long as there are no desyncs?

PS: Sorry if this has been answered already, I haven't read the full thread yet. Please let me know if this question was answered before at some point.

I pretty much have the same question. I got into PoE over a year ago, got fed up with the desync and excuses for it and asked these same questions. To my knowledge, no dev has ever bothered to address a simple question:

Exactly this.
So I take it 1.2.0 did nothing to improve desynch? How sad.
I'm about to give it another try. If I die from desynch again, I'll walk away from the game for another few months.

PoE Devs: You have an amazing game here! Improve your desynch code already. Rubber-banding is much less frustrating than dying, so increase the automatic /oos frequency. You think it will turn off your new players because it makes the existence of client/server desynchronization more visible. I know this, because I've seen you write exactly that.

Well, guess what. Your new players aren't your primary source of income, are they. They're not the ones who will champion the game and try and draw other people into it, are they. They're not the missionaries who will explain and justify the flaws that come with netcode, are they. No, they are the ones who will walk away from the game without giving it a chance, and tell everyone else to stay away.

Think about it.

As of right now, I don't recruit anyone to this game. I tell people it's the best game I've ever played, but that they had better wait for it to mature a bit more before they jump in; otherwise they will be frustrated by its net-based problems.

Edit:

P.S. Give the players what they want and explain why this is more of a problem in this game than in other online-only ARPGs. Even if your reasons are embarrassing ("the boss has a fetish for pissing on the servers and we have to replace them twice a month!"), transparency will garner a much greater amount of sympathy than obfuscation.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Aug 22, 2014, 7:15:44 AM
Honestly, PoE is one of the best games I've ever played, love the FFX kinda skill tree and the way skillsgems work, and with the new masters expansion is awesome.

Its a shame that such a good game is really messed up by desync, its just awful to play it this way, I would prefer the MOBA mechanic, I dont mind waiting less than 1/4 a second if this way my client represents exactly what is going on (Its better 200 ms added to my reaction time than 3 or 4 seconds of desync).

And you mentioned above that D3 uses the same sync mechanic, then I can not understand why D3 never seems to desync and PoE is almost perma-desyncd.

All that said, I think I will play something else for some months.

PD: As said above working on desync > than working on new content. I hope GGG reads some of the posts with possible solutions to the problem and looking forward for a staff member response.
Last edited by Yilos on Aug 24, 2014, 6:09:32 AM
I started early on, exclusively as a hardcore player. I lost my main then to desync. I quit for some time. I come back from time to time to see if things have improved. It's starting to look like it isn't going to get better. I've read enough to understand what desync is and what causes it, and honestly... I'd rather have our PC client making the calls. Cheaters will cheat, But I'm tired of not being able to enjoy things like flicker and cyclone. I'm tired of having to type /oos, constantly be aware of desync. It pulls me out of the game, it literally kills my immersion and my characters from time to time. I'm strictly a standard player now lol

The only things that kill me in PoE are the same things that kill me in real life. Lag, Desync and balance passes.
Last edited by Ehrlich on Aug 25, 2014, 10:04:52 AM
its one thing spreading information, but a whole other setting timelines and giving those to the public. i guess ALL would appreciate to know when a solution is found. desync is a problem since day 1, it didnt just appear out of nowhere. so what is that by now? lets say 3-4 years... just imagine building a car that, by design, kills people accidentally. i am sure happy GGG only makes a game, luckily we have GM for the "desync" component in cars... im going on a hate train again....

if the issue was serious it would be priority No1 - else people will have to accept poor design choices or poor coding...

Give us a Timeline for your desync plans!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info