Have you considered scaling down the size of effects?

This could just be me, but I really don't think it's necessary for the spells and special attacks to be the size that they are. It causes big performance hits and makes the screen impossibly cluttered during group play. And it doesn't make too much sense in the context either.

-Wands shooting projectiles the width of a human body
-Fireballs, Ice Spears and Arctic Breaths being bigger than a human body, doing 20% of their life
-Ground slam and glacial cascade shooting spikes out that are larger than almost every enemy in the game
-Arc blasting a huge beam across the screen, double the width of human enemies

The fact that projectiles are so large also makes them look like they are moving really slowly. If the effects were halved/quartered in size it would make it so much easier to see what is going on, not to mention performance gains.
P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
Last edited by lukeiy on Apr 8, 2014, 9:39:45 PM
In this matter, wouldnt it be great if the effects wouldnt scale with the actual strength of a skill?

A leveled fireball should look like a big ball of burning pain while a level 1 fireball should be more like a lighter almost out of gas ;)

This would add a visual impact of growing stronger and more badass...
Absolutely, scaling the size of the skill based on the level of it would be great, as well as a overall % reduction to the size in any gem level.
stop over moderating that makes the official forums useless
Completely unnecessary.
P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
As lukeiy pointed out, it is perfectly fine as is.

:)
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
I like the idea of different looking spell stages, but I don't think it would fit into Poe. Support Gems and better managable ressources influence the leveling feeling enough imo. Many people complain about the slow leveling phase (myself not included), weaker looking spells could make this worse.
But +1 for the reduced size.
IGN: Scordalia_
Wanna bump this. +2 for reduced size. Its too much sometimes. It works well when soloing. But eitherway i think it would be overall better with not that much disco
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious, but I am, so that's the way it comes out...
Last edited by Kentan_ on May 11, 2014, 7:06:39 AM
"
Kentan_ wrote:
Wanna bump this. +2 for reduced size. Its too much sometimes. It works well when soloing. But eitherway i think it would be overall better with not that much disco
Size=BaseSize/(NumberOfPartyPlayers)

or maybe even better (with CoC spam everywhere now)

Size=BaseSize/2^(NumberOfPartyPlayers-1)

:)
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
bump
Last edited by TheKingInYelllow on Jul 4, 2014, 3:26:02 PM
"
Agree

Most of effects are far to big. They are out of proportion and scale.

Try to play Titan Quest or Grim Dawn or Diablo 2 LOD for an hour and then launch PoE. Its like... WTF!?
Camera angle in PoE (its very close to char compared to other HnS games) doesnt help also.

And then you have 0,2 attack speed, GMP, chain, and 6 man parties at the top of all of this, etc...

ALL effects in game needs an 'ergonomic' overhaul - sadly this will probalby not happen because this will require artist with a sense of scale and proportions and someone that actually knows the game (to predict how the effect will behave with 0,2 attack speed ot gmp+chain). GGG just throws randon things to the game and dont care how they will react and

Im currenlty replaying Titan Quest Immortal Throne with D2Immortal Mod and its reminds me very often how amtourish and just bad are VFX designed in PoE (from pure gameplay and ergonomic/visibility point).

Im not sure you know what you are talking about.

I have played Diablo 2 plenty. I have also played Titan Quest and yes I have played PoE. Its not as easy as you think to just magicly scale down all effects in the game. Its also extremely hard to design good looking tiny effects. Impact and how a skill feels is what we concentrate on. As the better the skill feels the more people use it. As proven with spectral throw. Also some people like large effects. When I scale stuff down I get swarms of complaints. So I try to meet a middle ground. The new thing I try to do is have large impactful effects that disappear really fast and don't leave smoke and sparks floating around in the air for ages. It works for Dota 2 and from what I have tested and seen it has been working for PoE.

Maybe give me suggestions and examples instead of just calling me bad. Its far more helpful and you are more likely to see change. Im constantly going over effects every day and trying to cut down on certain bits and pieces. Remove particles you cant really see and so on.

In fact coming this patch iv shrunk down the elemental effects that play when you deal under 50% of the monsters hp as ele damage. So that should fix up some end game clutter without making the start of the game look puts. Also scaled down the small blood impact scale. However calling it now there will be rage.

I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info