Have you considered scaling down the size of effects?

bump
Last edited by TheKingInYelllow on Jul 4, 2014, 3:25:55 PM
I agree with Yellow King, there seems to be a non existent art direction in this game and Russell came off as being "I'm just doing what people like to see" without any sort of underlying art DESIGN or DIRECTION and came off as someone who can't take criticism well, as well as participate in a higher level of discussion on the art except "how it feels".

I don't know who you are and what credentials you have and I don't care if you made all the glowing effects, but what Yellow King said is right on almost all aspects.

There is no art direction, there is no design, there is just mindless droning around making "feel good explosions".

Don't even try to justify it because this is what it is. No oversight, no vision, no design, no research, the whole thing speaks for itself as a neon glow light show with no other considerations.
bump
Last edited by TheKingInYelllow on Jul 4, 2014, 3:25:48 PM
But we shouldn't blame him if he is just being pushed around to do this and that to be honest.

He's just the "art guy". Maybe he is in no position to make any sort of art direction or design decisions.
bump
Last edited by TheKingInYelllow on Jul 4, 2014, 3:25:40 PM
"
(when is rather obvious sometimes they they dont even play their own game and they dont test their 'own shit')

wut
"so you can see who has more PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
Last edited by Dizrupt on May 23, 2014, 8:39:45 AM
those reddit ss are what you get when a spell has all the +AoE nodes, items etc ingame fyi

russell does good work with the tools he's got, not his fault the game doesn't run in UE4 or something like that
Btw I do agree with what you are saying. PoE does need smaller effects. The stupid thing I find with PoE unlike other ARPGs is its so zoomed in. Now on top of the the spell effects get so giant because of increased AoE. Which games have but normally can control. In PoE its completely out of control.

TBH I really dunno what to do about it. Its a mess but there's never time to really fix it with all the content we have to make. Ie new skills and the such. This is normaly how I skill is made. Ill make it then test it in game. Ok great to big. Scale it down and make it fit the AoE. Awesome now I have to clean it up a bit and make sure it lasts as little amount of time as possible. Check. Now get the testers to test it. Ok cool they are shooting the thing I made 9 times a second with multiproj , increased aoe and some random trap shit. So I go back flustered and try to sort out how I can make an effect that every time it explodes covers 1/4 of the screen(in Aoe not effect, I now fit the aoe of skills effects to exactly the skill size). On top of that there are 3-5 of these explosions going off 7-9 times a second.

At this point I try look up what other people do. I find nothing. No one has this much aoe going off at the same speed we have it. On top of that we also have the possibility of multiple people doing this in a party. Gooood GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Bleugh talking about it gives me a headache. Pretty much we have way to much AoE in PoE for how zoomed in the game is. Im pretty sure if we moved the game view out that extra 20% it would fix a lot of the screen clutter. However with PoE as laggy as it is already I don't see that happening.

Seriously though. I am trying to fix this. Sadly this stuff takes time and I have deadlines. Ill keep in mind what you said for the next skills.

Anyways im sorry I cant really explain all this so well. I kinda wish I could show the process of this and how long it takes to do it all. We sadly dont have a scale slider we can use to scale up and down effects in our editor. Instead we have to pull them down in scale in the effects. Which can take around 20 minutes to 2 days depending on the effect.

Oh right Ice Spear and the wand projectile are getting a remake soon. They were just waiting on trails. We finally have them now but their buggy as hell so I don't think we will see them in this patch.

Also you gave good feedback now. You just have to understand that things do take time. Like lots of time. When stuff is made its crazy hard to go back on it. Not to mention its stressful as hell.
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
1. Camera being zoomed in has nothing to do with AOE effects not being correctly scalable. (i.e. Bigger radius doesn't mean brighter and thicker neon sticks.) Don't even blame the camera zoomed in, it is totally irrelevant.

2. "TBH I really dunno what to do about it." "Bla bla bla complains bla bla bla"

So I think we have the problem pinned down here. This post confirms the lack of Art Direction (capital letters), and it also confirms there is no higher level designs and artistic decisions on top of the individual spells you make, not to mention any form of overarching philosophy or hierarchy in place. This is terrible.

You say you make effects by fiddling things until it looks right. And you complain about not finding an example to look at. All these sounds like comments from a "technician" rather than an "artist". The difference between those two roles are enormous.

I can see you are pretty much crying out for help. You need someone to Art Direct you basically. Because that is exactly what you don't have, and this game needs.

As for your things take time/deadlines/stress, those are just by-products of your situation: poor managements from above, lack of Art Direction, technical limitations you can/cannot control, technical capabilities, these are merely side-effects and we shouldn't dwell on it.

TLDR: You need to hire an Art Director, to give you direction, to keep things in order, to make decisions, and to steer this game without this sort of unmanned "auto-piloting". Because obviously nobody is doing that job.
I also like how the effects look in the game. But in certain conditions it get's out of hand fast. I remember when "spork" was popular and the whole screen was covered with spark. Especially if you had around 2 or 3 players using the same build(around 6-9 totems casting it).

I do like the idea of increased effect when it scales with level. Because now a level 1 firebolt looks the same at lvl 20.

You could reduce the effect size if the supports decrease it's initial hit. For example LMP with 30% reduced damage will fire 3 projectiles but the projectiles will look 30% smaller also. GMP would be -50% effect size.

I don't think this simple mechanism works on all skills like incinerate/EK (EK is already small, except the micro-transaction effect).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info