The Odds

sadface
Timer is every 25 minutes. 57 beta keys are given out via the timer every day. It would take 4.8 years for 100,000 accounts to get a key via the timer. Just think... you could be that last guy :P

THe reason there arent TOO many people online at any given time is because its hard to come back to that game. I'm up to level 10. I've given my initial feedback... but now I need to find motivation to log back in.
"
jim2point0 wrote:
THe reason there arent TOO many people online at any given time is because its hard to come back to that game. I'm up to level 10. I've given my initial feedback... but now I need to find motivation to log back in.

Interesting. Do you know where I can read that feedback? Why do you not want to log back in?

I've been in a few betas before, and I admit it was sometimes more like work than play and it doesn't suit everyone. World of Warcraft beta was very polished when I joined, and it was playable. But not all games have been that way.. to say the least. You need a genuine interest in the game, sometimes, to even muster up the mental strength to go back in.
less fake accounts, more keys for active people. (and yes, i know im kinda fresh here:)
*** NoobCakes *** <NCAKES> guild
IGN: HardCandy
centeral europe time
"
Varil wrote:
So, I did a forum search for accounts and (after some fiddling with the search function's quirks...but more on that later, I suppose) came up with 129722 accounts. I didn't see any real way to sort "Beta" from "Not Beta", so we're just going to have to ball-park it there. I also have no way of knowing if this number is accurate! Funny that. Let's just pretend it is.

So, assuming maybe 10-15% of the forum *already* has a key, that leaves about 115000 accounts to sort through. Let's go high though and say 120000.

Ignoring hard-to-quantify things like friend invites and such, the timer is guaranteed to provide one account about every half hour(I think it's 25 minutes, actually, but I'm not about to stare long enough to find out for sure.)

So 48 accounts per day. Lets call it 50 for the sake of lazy math. We'll call it a bonus to account for friend invites, okay?

tl;dr? Every time the timer gives out an account, there's a 1 in 2400 chance of it being you. Give or take. If all ~130000 accounts were part of the running, then the odds are more like 1 in 2600. This is every half-hour though.

To spare you the math, the daily odds are about 1.5% to 2%.

Yay.

And this has been "Shoddy Mathematics With Varil".

Btw, this just isn't right. Really was shoddy mathematics :)

If we assume your numbers are (close to) what we can expect, then the 1/2400 is the real odds of you being chosen by the random key give-away per day.

50 beta keys per day, 120000 accounts. Every time the random generator chooses an account, you have the odds of 1/120000! Luckily, they choose to do this 50 times per day, so the odds per day is 1/2400 (120000/50).

I don't want to crush the hopes of those who believed the 1.5-2% number, but..

The real odds (per day) of you being picked is 0.04% :P
Last edited by mkreku on Sep 23, 2011, 10:03:10 AM
Those numbers are still depressing.
These "stats" threads are always fun. Every one of them seems to go so far then just flail about and get confused.

How do you get from X accounts exist and 1 new beta member occurs every 25minutes to having a 1 in 2400 chance of an account each time a new key is given?
I was expecting more like 0.1 to 0.2% per day.

Good to know that my chances are significantly higher.

Edit: Just read the rest of the thread. My hopes are now crushed yet again.
Last edited by Gospel on Sep 23, 2011, 10:28:01 AM
"
BigRedRod wrote:
These "stats" threads are always fun. Every one of them seems to go so far then just flail about and get confused.

How do you get from X accounts exist and 1 new beta member occurs every 25minutes to having a 1 in 2400 chance of an account each time a new key is given?

Read my post a few steps above. The original poster's numbers are a little off.

And it was clearly stated that the 120000 accounts number was to be taken with a pinch of salt. It's an estimation, nothing else. It should be somewhere in that ballpark though.

The rest is simple math. 24 hours per day, 25 minutes between giveaways, equals approximately (for sake of ease) 50 new accounts per day. So per day they choose 50 accounts out of 120000 possible ones. 50/120000 is the same as 1/2400, so.. those are the odds per day (24 hours).
Don't active forums accounts have ten times the chance to be picked for a beta key, though?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info