[1.2] Tri Element Trapper (Update to Arkon 9944's build)

the burning ground doesnt prolifirate, but the crit and the consequent ignite from the firetrap itself does.
"
TankJr wrote:
How does ele prolif work?

Here's what PoE wiki says: The burning ground effect from Fire Trap does not count as an Elemental Status Effect, and will not be proliferated.

Yet, I keep seeing it in every fire trap link. Didn't test the gem by myself though.

Edit: it would have had a sense, if it was linked to chance to ignite.

dckyta has it right, but I can perhaps give a little extra explanation.

All fire damage has a chance to ignite, just like all lightning damage can shock, and all cold damage can freeze or chill.

These status ailments typically rely on a critical hit. However there are a number of things that can bring about those status effects. Curses like flammability, conductivity, and frostbite can all add a chance for the their respective status effect to occur. Then of course there are passives on the tree, quality on skill gems, and abilities of skill gems that can create the status ailment.

Ignite damage is substantial, you can often melt away whites, blues, and rares with ignites. Some of my larger crits have ignites powerful enough to take out almost half of a map boss's health.

If you do not build for crit chance, using a skill gem setup of FT -> Fire Pen -> Chance to ignite -> Elemental Proliferation -> Concentrated Effect -> Increased Burning Damage can make for a very powerful aoe ability. Using flammability for your curse you can get over 50% chance.

This is a common setup for fire trappers while leveling as you don't have to worry about crit chance. And for builds that do not crit but want to add in a fire trap for extra aoe a common 4 link is, FT -> Chance to ignite -> Elemental Proliferation -> Concentrated Effect. I often run this setup on most of my characters while leveling because of how powerful it is with little investment.
hi,
love you build.
Was trying to be like you.
But run into problems.

I am currently, level 62.
But my DPS seems so low, takes forever to kill the mobs. and keep having issue with my mana.

Here is my passive:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYABS0VIBjbGYYc3B6UIWAkPCepKPoppSpNLOktRzgbPI5AoEZxSVFKfU4qUEJVS1YtV8labVuvW7tgS2egbXtvnnBRdO108Xi6eqp6736wf8aCHoMJhTKHdohCjDaRz5MnmK2a4J65n3unXKw_rEesf7QMtDi1SMHFwzrKStVP2FTbC9xX3Q3ed-QR5Rnquuss6-7yHfv1_MU=

am I doing anything wrong?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Make these changes to your tree, hopefully you have the passive respect quests available still so you don't have to use regrets.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYA3nfVT_v1tDjlGYw2VUtQQiaVLUcc3Dgbf8aTJ5HP5BHBxSeptAx-sNxXiEJabUZx6rpbux6Ugh4kPIMJPI5wUaw_2wunXG-eV8nYVElRykoo-hmGwzrr7pitgsesR1Yteqr56OssrH-a4CpNFSAs6d0NW6_8xU4qGNtnoCmldPGHdoUyIWBKfUCgnrkFLWBLeu907aSx5Y4=

Tell me what your links are and what curse you are using. Ideally you should be using elemental weakness right now because you are not ready to move into crit. Also because you have EE, make sure you are maintaining the lightning, fire, ice rotation.

Also the 60's are rough on most characters like I can see you are struggling with resists since you have so much coming from the passive tree.

Remember gem level makes a huge different on traps so getting those levels will be your biggest dps increases. You can also look for a high spell damage wand and shield if you do not have one. Also make sure your next 2 skill points get your expeditious munitions if you are ok on health right now.

Finally shock stacks are a huge boon to trapper builds damage. If you can put together a quality shock nova trap do so, really 10% quality or more will be enough.

As far as mana here are some tips;

Run discipline and Clarity on a reduced mana for your auras.
Do not over link your gems.
Do not run arctic armor.

Here is my link:

Fire: fire penetration, concentrated effect, increase area of effect, added chaos
Bear: add fire, chance to ignite
Shock nova q20: trap, multiple trap, and lighting penetration.
cold snap: trap and elemental proliferation

Will try elemental weakness and discipline once I got the gems and the right color of the gears.

Thanks again for the tips
"
joanne64 wrote:
Here is my link:

Fire: fire penetration, concentrated effect, increase area of effect, added chaos
Bear: add fire, chance to ignite
Shock nova q20: trap, multiple trap, and lighting penetration.
cold snap: trap and elemental proliferation

Will try elemental weakness and discipline once I got the gems and the right color of the gears.

Thanks again for the tips

Ok, your fire trap and bear trap could use some work. Try this;

Fire Trap -> Chance to Ignite -> Elemental Proliferation -> Concentrated Effect

if your mana can support this add in Increased burning damage.

Bear Trap -> Added Fire Damage -> Culling Strike

At this point you can go without fire penetration on fire trap because of how much minus resists you will have between elemental weakness and elemental equilibrium. So until you have the levels to pick up more crit chance the idea will be to proliferate ignites and melt things away. You will need bear trap to be your way of finishing off difficult monsters so culling strike is a huge help.

Good luck, there will be some pains as you level the new gems, but if you grind docks for an hour or so I am sure things will come together nicely. Proliferating that burn damage will make a huge difference. Just remember that after the fire trap goes off the mobs will have +25 fire resist so its important to have a cold snap or shock nova right after the fire trap to get the most out of the burn damage.
Thanks for the tips.
Will give them a try tonight.
not use to playing a trapper and have an theory build for more of a cold trapper I've been leveling. I'm curious what kind of tooltip dps one expects to see from traps.

With the proliferation and status effects it's hard to tell where the sweet spot is when coming from other builds that rely on the higher dps numbers.

thanks!
Pacific (GMT -8) Time
"
Madcow1120 wrote:
not use to playing a trapper and have an theory build for more of a cold trapper I've been leveling. I'm curious what kind of tooltip dps one expects to see from traps.

With the proliferation and status effects it's hard to tell where the sweet spot is when coming from other builds that rely on the higher dps numbers.

thanks!

My fire trap has a 5000 damage per use tool tip. However even though they "fixed" trap tool tips, it doesn't tell the whole story because of things like ignites, penetration, shock stacks, and proliferation.

Then as with most builds you have to take into account the curse. Critical Weakness is a huge damage boost because of how it modifies crit multiplier.

Once you transition into crit the "sweet spot" is when your curse brings you close to 40% crit chance.

As far as a cold trapper, the cold spells don't do a lot of damage (because of the freezing effect I suppose). Cold snap is your best bet. My cold snap is 1.9k on a 3 link. You would definitely benefit from a shock nova or lightning trap at the least since shock stacks generate so much damage.

"
"
Madcow1120 wrote:

thanks!

My fire trap has a 5000 damage per use tool tip. However even though they "fixed" trap tool tips, it doesn't tell the whole story because of things like ignites, penetration, shock stacks, and proliferation.

Then as with most builds you have to take into account the curse. Critical Weakness is a huge damage boost because of how it modifies crit multiplier.

Once you transition into crit the "sweet spot" is when your curse brings you close to 40% crit chance.

As far as a cold trapper, the cold spells don't do a lot of damage (because of the freezing effect I suppose). Cold snap is your best bet. My cold snap is 1.9k on a 3 link. You would definitely benefit from a shock nova or lightning trap at the least since shock stacks generate so much damage.

thanks for the quick response.
Yeah, I've been considering Freeze Mine on the main (believe it has increased damage on freeze) with self cast arctic breathe 4L for single target and wavering between a 2nd 4L freeze option of cold snap and/or fire trap to burn them down. Dual curse from windscreams. Weapon swap will use (not a must more of a luxury if something is frozen or I have time) power siphon chain iir for the culling iir.

will have alpha's howl for auras (using from my elemental buzzsaw) and rathpith (because I found one with my buzzsaw) for shield. Auras are going to be grace - vitality - discipline (for EB). also lightning warp and AA.

Cloak of Defiance for it's EB synergy and MoM.

my build idea is not focusing on crit. (but who knows may change my mind) character is around level 48 but still trying to find its proper identity. Of course that's the part of the game where many builds have that downcurve before the higher gem level upswing.

current end spec idea
Pacific (GMT -8) Time

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info