Play PoE using a gamepad/XBOX360 Controller!

Okay so I did a wiimote one, I'm not really gonna be able to give an extensive tutorial here, but if you have a bluetooth adaptor (or a laptop with built in bluetooth) you should be able to connect your Wiimote to your PC using that.

The Bluetooth manager provided in Windows 7 for my laptop was able to handle it for me, if you need some alternate method you could try this tutorial:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Connect-your-Wiimote-to-your-PC-via-Blueto/

note: The program they suggest isn't free, but there is probably a free alternative available. Either way it gives you an idea of how to get it setup with whatever bluetooth software you decide to use.

Once you have the Wiimote connected to your PC as a control adaptor, you will need GlovePie, it's just a simple program for getting inputs from a range of devices and interpreting them using a script, you can download it from here:

http://glovepie.org/GlovePIEWithEmotiv043.zip

Just unpack that zip to the folder you want to run GlovePie from and then run "GlovePIE.exe" in that folder.

You will get a popup of the main UI, and from there all you have to do is paste the following code into the text window you see and hit run and it should work.

"
//Wii Path of Exile script by DrunkSpleen

if (Wiimote.B) then
Mouse.RightButton = Wiimote.A
Keyboard.E = Wiimote.Minus
Keyboard.R = Wiimote.Plus
Keyboard.P = Wiimote.One
Keyboard.U = Wiimote.Two
else
Mouse.LeftButton = Wiimote.A
Keyboard.Q = Wiimote.Minus
Keyboard.W = Wiimote.Plus
Keyboard.C = Wiimote.One
Keyboard.I = Wiimote.Two
endif

Keyboard.Tab = Wiimote.Home

Keyboard.One = Wiimote.Down
Keyboard.Two = Wiimote.Left
Keyboard.Three = Wiimote.Right
Keyboard.Four = Wiimote.Up

if (Wiimote.Nunchuk.ZButton) then
Mouse.CursorPos = [Screen.Width/2, Screen.Height/2] + (Wiimote.Nunchuk.Joy * 50)
endif

Mouse.CursorPos += (Wiimote.Nunchuk.Joy * 15)

Keyboard.Alt = Wiimote.Nunchuk.CButton

The controls are as follows:

Main Wiimote
A to left click
- for Q ability
+ for W ability
1 for Character Screen
2 for Inventory

while holding B
A to right click
- for E ability
+ for R ability
1 for Passive Skill Tree
2 for Quests

Home button - toggles map
Dpad - first 4 potion slots

Nunchuk adaptor
Analog Stick - move mouse cursor
C - Display items (alt)
Z - alternate mouse mode*

Hopefully someone other than me gets some enjoyment out of this.

Give me feedback and I might try and improve it a bit, particularly try and find a good way to map on middle mouse and T skill.

* - While holding Z the mouse will only move in the immediate area around the centre of your screen, this is good for combat at times such as when surrounded and trying to using abilities in multiple directions to clear a large group of enemies, it also lets you move your character easier IMO.
Last edited by Drunkspleen on Sep 22, 2011, 11:10:37 AM
Pretty nice job, OP. But I definitely wouldn't play Merciless with a pad.
My little tribute to Diablo 1 aka why Diablo 3 is the worst part of the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2ejhudUlU

ig: Witchfire_The_Unholy
"
Diablo1reborn wrote:
Pretty nice job, OP. But I definitely wouldn't play Merciless with a pad.

I think in the future I'll make another video just for you to show off how well the setup works ;)
If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?
"
Russell wrote:
Haha this was actually pretty awesome. I would also pick playing with a game pad over playing with a laptop touch pad any day. However I would rather buy a mouse haha. Either way though seems to work but obviously with the game not set up for it it looked rather tricky to play :P. Interesting to watch though. Wonder if many other people would like this type of thing.

Its really there so I can play laying down, or like someone else said, on my TV from my computer.

It really is customizable too, with a little google searching you can make your controls cater to your every need. :)

Plus my cat likes to lay on my back and watch me play XD
This way his needs are catered too !
"
tpapp157 wrote:
Pretty cool. I'm looking forward to someone making Kinect controls.

...ending up accidently smashing ur living room to pieces ("damn! I just leap slammed away my tv set...!"
DMT:

Load universe into a gun.
Aim at brain.
Fire.
"
Hartbrot wrote:
"
tpapp157 wrote:

...ending up accidently smashing ur living room to pieces ("damn! I just leap slammed away my tv set...!"

Haha. That would be epic.
Forum Sheriff
"
Hartbrot wrote:
"
tpapp157 wrote:

Haha, then all of a sudden

"Random winner of unplanned contest to get free TV set!"
lol
"
DarkWestern wrote:
Yo guys, I absolutely cannot stand playing ANY game on laptops because of the touchpad mouse.

Hi

Would the config file have to be altered for use with a 360 controller?

I'm finding my controls are all over the place using one.

Left trigger goes right.
Right trigger goes left.
Select to attack, start to use right-click attack etc
Last edited by Kuldiin on Sep 24, 2011, 10:34:21 AM
"
Kuldiin wrote:
"
DarkWestern wrote:
Yo guys, I absolutely cannot stand playing ANY game on laptops because of the touchpad mouse.

Hi

Left trigger goes right.
Right trigger goes left.

Yeah, id say your probably going to have to do some tweaking, although i cant imagine why...but youtube has a lot of good tutorials and if you make a tweaked config...would you share it with us?
"
DarkWestern wrote:
"
Kuldiin wrote:
"
DarkWestern wrote:

Hi

Left trigger goes right.
Right trigger goes left.

Yeah, id say your probably going to have to do some tweaking, although i cant imagine why...but youtube has a lot of good tutorials and if you make a tweaked config...would you share it with us?

Just learning how it all works. So far got mouse working on screen, and attacking fine. Shouldnt be long :) Been using the below link

Edit:- Found this also

http://media.photobucket.com/image/joy2key+xbox+/traycerb/Xbox360WirelessControllerImageX3.jpg
Last edited by Kuldiin on Sep 24, 2011, 3:10:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info