Staff spectral throw knockback guide. --first layout--

Bigger, monstrous, insane, onslaught, MADNESS!!!

Introduction:
So I got this idea a while back when I was play-testing a staff flicker. I happened to be looking at the blunt trauma node and thinking "for the love of hell, why does knockback suck so much with melee abilities??".
The answer is here! Ranged with crit knockback!

So how does this work out in theory?
Well I considered groundslam at first, but the fact remains that ST does loads of hits per attack makes it much better (based on attack speed). Paired with the Fending passive this would sound amazing at first.

In actual playing:
When I play what often happens is that the enemies get knocked away from melee range and right into the ST "sweet spot" where the projectiles start to turn around and do much more damage. Unless they are really fast.
For 2 extra points this might not sound worth it (Fending cluster), but damn playing this way is just to much fun.

Build:
The new Marauder start area allowed me to make a much better point allocation than earlier (thanks GGG!).

leveling

I used the free respec we got at patch 1.1 so I can't really tell this from personal experience, but this build should be very flexible and can be tuned to work very well with maces too. You pick blunt instrument + you come close to alot of the really good mace nodes.
So I would level as a 2h mace ST and simply spec Skullcracking + baptism by light + Resolute technique instead of the crit/2handed crit nodes. (6points total).
Can't imagine why this would not work until you get a staff/accuracy gear

103 points, dont need the knockback nodes at this stage.

bandit rewards

normal: +40 max hp
cruel: 18% phys damage
Merci: +1 max power charge.

Gear:

This is an example of a gear setup, since this was a full respec I did post the new patch. I still have some gear optimizing to do.

my gear

In reality you don't need some of the extremely expensive items I show here. When I tested this build I simply used a cheap attack speed/crit staff:

This had a 6K spectral throw (5link) which did mid tier maps just fine (didnt try above 72).
Daresso's defiance adds some great defence with this build for a cheap price. Also the Onslaught is very handy.

Needed basic gear:
Staff:300-400dps with good attack speed and crit chance. For this build I would recommend a Maelstrom staff or a Lathi because of the faster base attack speed.
Chest: Daresso's defiance!! Really cheap and solid option for ranged endurance charge users, but likely bad for hard content because of endurance charge consumption.
Hard content: Kaom's heart - legacy if on standard.
Boots/rings/gloves: get some life/armour/resist gear. Simple as that.
Helm: same as above, but if you can manage the extra damage income from Abysses this is obviously a better option.
Belt: Pretty much any life/resist/armour goes a long way. Headhunter if you got one from nemesis/can afford it.

Looking at other Spec throw builds I see people use double strike for even more single target damage, I can see this being very annoying with the knockback, maybe a second spectral throw without PC on crit and faster projectiles gem to kite single targets off screen (test in progress).
I'd like to stay strictly ranged without Kaom's heart.

Flasks

These are the flasks I prefer using:

If you have a staff with lower crit chance/attack speed you might find yourself struggeling building/maintaining power charges a diamond flask comes in very handy.

skill gems guideline

AOE attack: ST, added fire, phys proj, LMP, PCOC, crit dmg
Single target: ST, added fire, phys proj, faster proj, faster attacks, crit dmg (still testing this)
Curses: Enfeeble, Critical weakness, use reduced mana if needed.
CWDT: Enduring cry, decoy totem, summon skeletons (or molten shield)
Auras: Hatred, determination, Purity of the elements. Notice I have 3 aura slots but I only 2 active. This is really handy for ele weakness maps or simply when you need to top of your resists for something really hard (purity of fire, cold, lightning) They are 40% so you can run all 3 if needed.
Utiliy: Leap slam can be handy, but I feel its less needed when playing ranged.
Bloodrage is a very good damage increase(15%attackspeed), but drains alot of your life only use this if you have regen passives/decent chaos resistance.
You might run into some dexterity problems with my build because I use Headhunter. You can accomodate this by either spending a few nodes to pick up +30 or get some on rings/gloves.

I will upload some videos of me doing maps and maybe Atziri later on. Stay tuned!
Last edited by Harmster on Apr 7, 2014, 12:37:28 PM
double post
Last edited by Kelgar7778 on Mar 17, 2014, 12:08:37 PM
Seems a pretty unique idea for playing the marauder this way or at least havent seen a build like that cause i am pretty new player in POE (started november:D) It seems that can work but you must test it in higher maps.)

My opinion is if you wanna do end game, to get a GG stuff with 6-link,(delete that i show you have imba stuff!!) if you wanna continue playing this way so your dps gets a nice boost. But seriously havent seem something like that b4 so gz for trying something different.:D

A testing in maps 75-77 will show you if its a spec that can clear everything without having any problems surviving and farming all the maps^^

Cheers and let me know how it goes when you make tries all the end content:D
Last edited by Kelgar7778 on Mar 17, 2014, 12:03:06 PM
wait for more to come :D
Meh crit knockback seems useless.

You could just support it with the Knockback Gem and spec into more damage, Spectral throw + Knockback = Insanity. That was one of the first things i tested when it came out.

Getting a good staff, especially a melee staff with crit on it is hard. You also have to get alot of accuracy via nodes/gear, it just wouldnt be worth it.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:

You could just support it with the Knockback Gem and spec into more damage, Spectral throw + Knockback = Insanity. That was one of the first things i tested when it came out.

Getting a good staff, especially a melee staff with crit on it is hard. You also have to get alot of accuracy via nodes/gear, it just wouldnt be worth it.

Have you ever post something possitive in the forums? If i go in your post history, you ar full of negetivity for everything and everyone^^

Ah except the posts where you selling items:D
Last edited by Kelgar7778 on Mar 20, 2014, 2:52:00 PM
"
Kelgar7778 wrote:
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:

Have you ever post something possitive in the forums? If i go in your post history, you ar full of negetivity for everything and everyone^^

Ah except the posts where you selling items:D
You must be pretty obsessed with me if you have to go through my posts, no they arent full of negativity.

Maybe you should quit crying about my post, im simply giving constructive feedback.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Didnt have to make a big research, just 10 posts and your "constructive" replies in my spec was enough^^
"
Kelgar7778 wrote:
Didnt have to make a big research, just 10 posts and your "constructive" replies in my spec was enough^^
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/814133

Oh hey, its the guy who posted this thread above trying to troll other players, while thinking mods were his personal army.

"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
"
Kelgar7778 wrote:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/814133

Oh hey, its the guy who posted this thread above trying to troll other players, while thinking mods were his personal army.

Yes and i forgot the basic rule. DONT FEED THE TROLL

So you can talk to my hand now^^

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info